Finished a 59 Viscount

Finished a 59 Viscount

rob t
rob t

September 28th, 2005, 8:46 am #1

Hello,
I thought I'd share a couple of pics of a '59 automatic. I cleaned/oil the movement and replaced the auto winding movement section. Thanks to Dorsey for his information and to Phillip G for the auto winding part. I think this watch is in this condition because it broke early in it's life and was put away until 2005.
Now it's back in service.
The second picture shows the crystal sticking up a little tall. Does anyone know the correct crystal for this? I realy think I want to go all out for this one, it's a keeper. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rob T

technoguy
technoguy

September 28th, 2005, 11:12 am #2

You did a fine job on that watch and from what you say, it almost sounds like it's NOS. I also like the protuding crystal and would leave it as it is...kind of reminds me of the "bubble" crystals that are appearing on some high-end Swiss watches.

Your "Viscount" has a military look to it and I am finding that I am becoming a fan of the military style watch of late. The problem is that I want one that has a cool dial and a two tone case...that's hard to find, but I'll keep searching. I know it's out there somewhere.

The other night I came within a gnat's eyelash of buying an Adee Kaye military style watch called "La Lune". What stopped me was that I realized that it had a 55 mm case on it. I like oversized cases/dials and decided to make a paper cutoff model of the watch to see what it would look like on my wrist. Well, it almost looked like a large pocket watch strapped to one's wrist...that dial was big enough to cook a pizza on! The huge amount of luminous paint on it's dial would normally eliminate it from my consideration, but I think they are now using only the new non-tritium containing photoluminescent dial paints.

Below is an image of the watch I almost got.

technoguy

EdH
EdH

September 28th, 2005, 3:24 pm #3

Hello,
I thought I'd share a couple of pics of a '59 automatic. I cleaned/oil the movement and replaced the auto winding movement section. Thanks to Dorsey for his information and to Phillip G for the auto winding part. I think this watch is in this condition because it broke early in it's life and was put away until 2005.
The second picture shows the crystal sticking up a little tall. Does anyone know the correct crystal for this? I realy think I want to go all out for this one, it's a keeper. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rob T
I agree with Technoguy, I would leave the crystal as is. I have a 1961 Timex automatic with the same kind of new crystal on it. It looks just fine.

Cheers,

Ed

EdH
EdH

September 28th, 2005, 3:25 pm #4

Hello,

Regards,
Rob T
I agree with Technoguy, I would leave the crystal as is. I have a 1961 Timex automatic with the same kind of new crystal on it. It looks just fine.

Cheers,

Ed

EdH
EdH

September 28th, 2005, 3:27 pm #5

I got an erroneous message from the Network 54 server when posting, telling me I did not post. So I sent it again.

Cheers,

Ed

Knut
Knut

September 28th, 2005, 3:37 pm #6

Hello,

Regards,
Rob T
...on that Viscount. That style and design would look great even today - if I had a chance to buy one new today I would! I especially like the seconds hand with that little "teardrop" on the end - makes it look more expencive and high-end if you ask me. It's those little touches that make a watch stand out - this one does. Great Rob T.!

Knut

PS! If you would let me know the correct diameter of the crystal I can look through mine - I have a box of NOS "Elektroglas" crystals for those very early Timex's.

rltbod
rltbod

September 28th, 2005, 5:02 pm #7

Hello,

Regards,
Rob T
nt

John
John

September 28th, 2005, 8:35 pm #8

Hello,

Regards,
Rob T
watch. I think this is what keeps some of us going. We always think the next watch is going to turn out like this one.

Dorsey H.
Dorsey H.

September 29th, 2005, 2:07 am #9

Hello,

Regards,
Rob T
NT

C.W.
C.W.

September 29th, 2005, 5:08 am #10

Hello,

Regards,
Rob T
I have that model and mine only looks half that nice! Well done!
--Charlie (I say leave the crystal alone. Gives it a nice Corum look!)