Display life-span

Display life-span

Scott
Scott

January 5th, 2005, 6:11 pm #1

What is the lifetime of a liquid crystal display? Some of the early ones only lasted a few years, but they've improved them a great deal. LED's, when used within their limits,last for decades..I have a digital clock I got in 1976 that still works just fine(in use since then,with the exception of the occassional move or power failure.)I have LCD watches from the 1980's that still work just fine.

technoguy
technoguy

January 5th, 2005, 10:49 pm #2

In theory, an LCD display panel should last forever. The problem is that the "connections" to it do not. As these degrade over time, individual segments on the display will begin to fade because they do not get enough voltage to create the electric field that scrambles the liquid crystal molecules and turns them black.

technoguy

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 6th, 2005, 3:14 pm #3

I read somewhere that liquid crystal displays do have a far shorter lifespan than LEDs,even if the display is never used.Early LCD's had a very limited life,but I have LCD watches and games from the '80's that are just fine. The shortest-lived LEDs are the blue,ultraviolet and white ones(they are chemically similar)..100,000 hours, or about 11 years continuous. The rest have virtually indefinite lives, if used within their limits.