Breaking News? New Timex automatics>>

Breaking News? New Timex automatics>>

Torbjorn
Torbjorn

November 12th, 2004, 9:31 am #1

Hi, I’m Torbjorn from Sweden – frequent lurker, but I haven’t posted here before.Now, I know this isn't vintage but still interesting perhaps... Check out the link below – it goes to the site where probably retailers etc. are supposed to download images for use in websites and ads. And, to my big surprise, there are now automatics! I haven’t been able to find these watches on the Timex homepage, but perhaps soon? I am far from an expert, but from one of the shots of the see-through back it seems like the movement looks very similar to the Chinese movements (said to have good quality) used in many watches sold on ebay these days – Elysee, Trias and many, many others. One of the companies that produces them are called Millionsmart, but there are certainly others also. What do you guys think of it? Have you seen these watches before?
Best,
Torbjorn

http://images.timex.com/bin/listing.tmx ... Automatics

http://www.millionsmart.com/en/companyProfile6387.htm

Dorsey H.
Dorsey H.

November 12th, 2004, 12:18 pm #2

Hello Torbjorn,

So good to know that you're still out there "lurking" in the shadows of the Timex Forum. Your post is delightfully informative. Knowing your intense interest in vintage Timex mechanicals, I suspect you'll be purchasing one of their new automatics as soon as they arrive on the scene. I'll be doing the same. Let me know if I can help you find one when they're available.

Dorsey H.

technoguy
technoguy

November 12th, 2004, 1:29 pm #3

Hi, I’m Torbjorn from Sweden – frequent lurker, but I haven’t posted here before.Now, I know this isn't vintage but still interesting perhaps... Check out the link below – it goes to the site where probably retailers etc. are supposed to download images for use in websites and ads. And, to my big surprise, there are now automatics! I haven’t been able to find these watches on the Timex homepage, but perhaps soon? I am far from an expert, but from one of the shots of the see-through back it seems like the movement looks very similar to the Chinese movements (said to have good quality) used in many watches sold on ebay these days – Elysee, Trias and many, many others. One of the companies that produces them are called Millionsmart, but there are certainly others also. What do you guys think of it? Have you seen these watches before?
Best,
Torbjorn

I was predicting (see my post of 11/5/04) that Timex might eventually be marketing their own automatic watches again and...here they are!!! Obviously, the demand for these movements has finally reached "critical mass".

From studying the images of them I notice that they seem to have a power reserve indicator on the dial. This is a pricey complication that is only found on the finer Swiss watches. Also note the screw down crown (like a Rolex!) to greatly enhance water resistance. And, of course, I love that exhibition window on the back that lets one watch that rotor spinning around. Wow...what a nice watch! Now I think I know what we'll be seeing in this season's Timex Christmas commercials!

Much thanks to Torbjorn of Sweden for this info!

technoguy

Torbjorn
Torbjorn

November 12th, 2004, 1:52 pm #4

Hello Torbjorn,

So good to know that you're still out there "lurking" in the shadows of the Timex Forum. Your post is delightfully informative. Knowing your intense interest in vintage Timex mechanicals, I suspect you'll be purchasing one of their new automatics as soon as they arrive on the scene. I'll be doing the same. Let me know if I can help you find one when they're available.

Dorsey H.
I most probably (99,9%)will take you up on it when they become available. Btw, I haven't seen any watch auctions of yours for a looong time...?
Take care,
Torbjorn

RonD.
RonD.

November 12th, 2004, 5:22 pm #5

Best,
Torbjorn

These are the coolest Timex watches I have seen in years! I am glad that they decided to get back into the Automatic market! I noticed they have reserve indicators to show you when you are running out of power.
Here are a few pics from that site (to make it easier for us fans):

Ron

RonD.
RonD.

November 12th, 2004, 5:24 pm #6

I noticed on that site Timex is introducing a line of Keltons. I wonder if our interest in Keltons had anything to do with that? hehe

Dorsey H.
Dorsey H.

November 12th, 2004, 5:29 pm #7

I most probably (99,9%)will take you up on it when they become available. Btw, I haven't seen any watch auctions of yours for a looong time...?
Take care,
Torbjorn
Hi Torbjorn,

Click the blue link (my name) and email me with your email address. Let's exchange emails privately which is probably better than just using the forum.

Thanks,

Dorsey

dewberrytwo@aol.com
dewberrytwo@aol.com

November 12th, 2004, 5:40 pm #8

I was predicting (see my post of 11/5/04) that Timex might eventually be marketing their own automatic watches again and...here they are!!! Obviously, the demand for these movements has finally reached "critical mass".

From studying the images of them I notice that they seem to have a power reserve indicator on the dial. This is a pricey complication that is only found on the finer Swiss watches. Also note the screw down crown (like a Rolex!) to greatly enhance water resistance. And, of course, I love that exhibition window on the back that lets one watch that rotor spinning around. Wow...what a nice watch! Now I think I know what we'll be seeing in this season's Timex Christmas commercials!

Much thanks to Torbjorn of Sweden for this info!

technoguy
I've been in contact with some of the Timex people from time to time over the past few years. I (along with Alan and several of the other old timers here) was one of the charter members of the now defunct "Timex Collector's Club" which was sponsored by the Timexpo Museum.

Several times I received surveys from Timex requesting suggestions for new products. I also exhanged numerous emails with the Museum Curator who has since moved on. Again and again I suggested the re-introduction of some version of their mechanical watches. I feel certain some of the other Forum participants who were Timex Collector Club members did the same. HALLELUJAH!!!!! It's going to happen. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am about this new development.

My observations are the same as yours, Technoguy. These look very much like the high quality German-Marketed/Chinese-Movement/Swiss-Style modern automatics offered under various brand names. The power reserve meter is the clue to it's apparently above average quality.

Thanks to Torbjorn, our Swedish friend, we have a preview of what's to come. And, I must say...I'm ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTED.

Dorsey H.

Dorsey H.
Dorsey H.

November 12th, 2004, 5:46 pm #9

I noticed on that site Timex is introducing a line of Keltons. I wonder if our interest in Keltons had anything to do with that? hehe
Your idea is probably right, Ron. I've had some Timex corporate customers who bought my vintage Timex restored/repaired watches over the years. I know they watch us. Even though they apparently have a company taboo against actually posting here, I feel absolutely certain they carefully scrutinize what we write. Isn't it obvious that nobody in their right mind obsesses with obscure brand names like Kelton but those of us who hang out here? When you see or handle the first new-generation Kelton you can smile and KNOW that you probably had something to do with their re-introduction.

Dorsey H.

RonD.
RonD.

November 12th, 2004, 7:43 pm #10

..on second thought, if they perform like their predecessors they might now need to be repaired for 30 years!