"Blind Watchmaker"?

"Blind Watchmaker"?

John
John

October 4th, 2005, 12:29 am #1

I am reposting my question just incase it got lost in the "red haze" of the other post on what is a watchmaker.I would appreciate it if anyone has any information on a watchmaker (let's make it in the "old" craft mode)who is or was blind (as in lacking the sense of sight). By this I mean living or dead. A name , place, date or any other information?

C.W.
C.W.

October 4th, 2005, 7:21 am #2

Did a bit of googling and just annoyed myself.

It's just my opinion, but...

The whole "Blind Watchmaker" analogy just holds no water... for me. Saying that the order of the universe proves there is a bearded old white man watching over us all is um, well let's keep it on the high road. I don't buy it.

Saying "Oh! Look! Blue-green algae eventually becomes Diana Krall! That proves there is a god!" Okay I'm not saying Diana Krall isn't heavenly, but science having an orderly progression doesn't prove the existance of a higher power! Ack! Hairball! Can't swallow it!

I'm willing to pay whatever Timex charges for a brand new "Viscount"!
See? ON TOPIC!

--Charlie (Can of worms, freshly opened? Hope not!)

technoguy
technoguy

October 4th, 2005, 8:59 am #3

I think I read somewhere that the analogy of the "Blind Watchmaker" is used to describe how the process of evolution works. The analogy is that if one had a blind watchmaker in a shop full of parts and he kept trying to fit the parts together two at a time, then, eventually, he would succeed in assembling a working watch. In like fashion, the "blind" and also mindless laws of physics and chemistry can, if given enough time, lead to the production of occasionally "stable", and thus persistent, structures like galaxies, stars, planets, living cells, multicellular organisms, plants and animals, humanoid beings, civilizations, philosophy, mathematics, technology, science, horology, and, at the very pinnacle of it all, the Timex vintage watch collector!

Did it all really happen that way? Either it did or God made it all and then decided to rest on the 7th day after checking the date on this new calendar watch...

technoguy

John
John

October 4th, 2005, 5:55 pm #4

I am reposting my question just incase it got lost in the "red haze" of the other post on what is a watchmaker.I would appreciate it if anyone has any information on a watchmaker (let's make it in the "old" craft mode)who is or was blind (as in lacking the sense of sight). By this I mean living or dead. A name , place, date or any other information?
If this were a Forum on philosophy or religion I could understand these responses. However, since it is a watch forum could you please accept the fact that I have an interest in knowing if anyone knows of a blind person who was or is a watchmaker. I do not mean to sound harsh or unpleasant, but want it known that the question is only what it is without hidden meaning.

Jack from Philadelphia
Jack from Philadelphia

October 5th, 2005, 9:38 pm #5

Ooops!! WE DON'T HAVE ONE!!

rob t
rob t

October 7th, 2005, 3:40 pm #6

I think I read somewhere that the analogy of the "Blind Watchmaker" is used to describe how the process of evolution works. The analogy is that if one had a blind watchmaker in a shop full of parts and he kept trying to fit the parts together two at a time, then, eventually, he would succeed in assembling a working watch. In like fashion, the "blind" and also mindless laws of physics and chemistry can, if given enough time, lead to the production of occasionally "stable", and thus persistent, structures like galaxies, stars, planets, living cells, multicellular organisms, plants and animals, humanoid beings, civilizations, philosophy, mathematics, technology, science, horology, and, at the very pinnacle of it all, the Timex vintage watch collector!

Did it all really happen that way? Either it did or God made it all and then decided to rest on the 7th day after checking the date on this new calendar watch...

technoguy
no text

Alan N.
Alan N.

October 8th, 2005, 7:28 pm #7

Ooops!! WE DON'T HAVE ONE!!
dd