Automatics May Be On The Way!

Automatics May Be On The Way!

KSR
KSR

September 29th, 2005, 5:04 am #1

http://www.timex.com/fashion/?GCID=C14272x005-source

I received an e-mail promotion from Timex for 20% off online purchases. I clicked on the link (above), and this page from their American website has a section showing an automatic-movement watch. That section of the page says "coming soon". I don't know if that's been on their site for a while, but it's the first time I've seen their American website reference automatic movements.

C.W.
C.W.

September 29th, 2005, 5:31 am #2

Way to go Times! I'll need three of those when you start selling!

--Charlie

C.W.
C.W.

September 29th, 2005, 5:35 am #3

These watches will easily stop my urge to track down the perfect Seiko 5!

I can't wait to buy one!

--Charlie (Can you tell I'm excited?)

Knut
Knut

September 29th, 2005, 5:39 am #4

Way to go Times! I'll need three of those when you start selling!

--Charlie
...they are finally going to market these in the U.S.A. They look good! I studied the text on the Polish site ( not that I'm familiar with the Polish language! ) and noticed "+-40". Would that mean that it keeps time within +-40 seconds a day?! If someone knows polish or can make out what the phrase means please let us know. +- 40 seconds a day is not very impressive... The Russian brand Vostok/Poljot keeps better time than that (-20+30 seconds ) and they use their in-house 17 to 31 jewels movement made since the late 50's. As we figured out earlier, Timex uses a Chinese made 22 jewels movement. Just a thought...

Knut

technoguy
technoguy

September 29th, 2005, 7:44 am #5

I received an e-mail promotion from Timex for 20% off online purchases. I clicked on the link (above), and this page from their American website has a section showing an automatic-movement watch. That section of the page says "coming soon". I don't know if that's been on their site for a while, but it's the first time I've seen their American website reference automatic movements.
I was starting to think (see my last post below) that there was a "secret" plan to deny Americans Timex automatics for some sort of shabby profit motive. I'm glad to see I was wrong. Also I checked out some of the other watches on their site and they are very impressive fashionwise. My "dream" watch just might wind up being a Timex!

technoguy

Knut
Knut

September 29th, 2005, 8:46 am #6

I agree - they actually look quite stunning. But what about that timing of +-40 seconds a day? Any thought on that?

Knut

technoguy
technoguy

September 29th, 2005, 8:55 am #7

That's either a misprint or means +/- 40 seconds per week. If it is, indeed, +/- 40 seconds per day, then I might think twice about buying one. I would find that degree of error per day unacceptable on any watch I was regulating...

technoguy

Knut
Knut

September 29th, 2005, 10:04 am #8

...with an online translator. The word "na dzien" means "pr. day" - the timing of this new Timex Automatic is +-40 seconds PER DAY! May not mean very much to some, but I think it's a bit too much - that's close to 5 minutes per week. I don't mean to judge the Timex Automatic just on this, but it seems that for around $100? you can have more accurate watches... Still looks VERY stylish though!

Knut

EdH
EdH

September 29th, 2005, 12:43 pm #9

let's see how they advertise these automatics to the US market. They may have different movements, such as many makers of automatics have. There's Miyota, ETA, French Debauch, etc, and many watch firms use different movements in different watches.

The ones being marketed to the Polish market MAY NOT be the ones that will be marketed to US market. I believe the Timex "observers" of our Forum website KNOW that the US market will NOT tolerate a +/- 40 seconds PER DAY.

Let's have a little faith that Timex will not market a "junk" automatic product. It would not be advantageous to their "bottom" line. After all, they are investing time and money in marketing this product. PLUS, as someone has already pointed out (Technoguy, I think) they will have to establish service and support for the warranty on these automatics.

Let's wait and hope for the best. Like Charlie, I'm ready to add one to my collection, as well.

Cheers,

Ed

EdH
EdH

September 29th, 2005, 12:49 pm #10

the automatics were NOT in their list of new products. They completely updated their website since then. You know, they just MIGHT be hearing US!!

Thought you would like to know.

Cheers,

Ed