Atlantis

Atlantis

RJ
RJ

November 30th, 2004, 9:21 pm #1

Any fans of the Timex Atlantis? The plastic one came out around summer 1994 and it seemed like one day I started seeing them everywhere.

I like the look of the classic case style, and the lighter plastic feel over the earlier steel and glass version.

John L
John L

November 30th, 2004, 11:12 pm #2

Never cared for the newer version as much as the old one, as I owned an original in the late 1980s...it was extremely solid and durable, as well as distinctive (digital watches at the time were mostly black plastic, so a steel digital with a steel bracelet was pretty unique).

But I do like that they've kept the same basic design with the current one though...

Most importantly, I like the idea of a digital watch that's not a "sportswatch" in the run, swim, etc. Ironman mode. Rather, its ethos is clearly meant to be a digital version of a diver/watersports watch.

John

technoguy
technoguy

December 1st, 2004, 8:47 am #3

Any fans of the Timex Atlantis? The plastic one came out around summer 1994 and it seemed like one day I started seeing them everywhere.

I like the look of the classic case style, and the lighter plastic feel over the earlier steel and glass version.
I'm not a fan of digital LCD watches, but I remember the "Atlantis" when it first came out. Didn't it come packed in water to "prove" to the customer how water resistant it was? Nice marketing gimmick.

I think I like the name of the watch more than the watch itself! It conjures up images from the novel "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea"! I think I remember a tv commercial for it where the announcer says "Atlantis...because three quarter of the world is covered by water...".

technoguy