And what about Mercurys?

And what about Mercurys?

C.W.
C.W.

September 29th, 2005, 10:42 pm #1

I hear these referenced to, but know nothing about the model.
When was their production run and what made a watch a Mercury?

--Charlie

EdH
EdH

September 30th, 2005, 12:13 am #2

I'm sure he will respond when he comes online. He will probably respond to the Mercury, as well as the Sprite identification.

Great looking "Sprites". Actually, I prefer my Sprite in a bottle!!! (Hear Ed falling off his chair laughing at his own jokes.) Many:

Cheers,

Ed

Bill D
Bill D

September 30th, 2005, 12:28 am #3

--Charlie
Thhe Mercury series was made from 1961 to 1971. They were non waterproof and used the #22, 24, and finally the 25 movements.There were even square and rectangular cases as well as the customary round ones.
Sprites were also made from 1964 to 1971 and were Water-RESISTANT. They used the #24 and 25 movements.
From the catalog numbers on the dial you can identify the series. Hope this helps. No expert here but I got the info from sec 4 of my service manual.

Bill D

Sevesteen
Sevesteen

September 30th, 2005, 1:12 am #4

--Charlie
Marlins are full-sized waterproof, Mercurys are full-size non-waterproof, both with 11/16 straps. The Sportster is a boy's waterproof, 1/2 inch strap, the Petite is similar, but non-waterproof. Sprite is the small men's waterproof, between the Sportster and Marlin in size, with a 5/8 inch strap.

C.W.
C.W.

September 30th, 2005, 4:08 am #5

All four watches pictured are Sprites, since they are all waterproof. Okay.

-and the even smaller watches are basically kids watches.

Thanks!

--Charlie

C.W.
C.W.

September 30th, 2005, 4:09 am #6

Thhe Mercury series was made from 1961 to 1971. They were non waterproof and used the #22, 24, and finally the 25 movements.There were even square and rectangular cases as well as the customary round ones.
Sprites were also made from 1964 to 1971 and were Water-RESISTANT. They used the #24 and 25 movements.
From the catalog numbers on the dial you can identify the series. Hope this helps. No expert here but I got the info from sec 4 of my service manual.

Bill D
This is the type of stuff that should go into Wikipedia.

So get to typing!

--Charlie

Bill D
Bill D

September 30th, 2005, 11:39 am #7

I really am limited, in knowlege, to what I can find in the service manuals and mine end at 1971. There are many more versed in Timex lore around here which is why I hang around here to take advantage of it.
My first answer would have been that Sprites dance around to pan pipes in the forests and Mercurys are cars first introduced by FoMoCo back in the 30's.

Bill D

September 30th, 2005, 12:13 pm #8

All four watches pictured are Sprites, since they are all waterproof. Okay.

-and the even smaller watches are basically kids watches.

Thanks!

--Charlie
...but if they all have 5/8 inch straps they are, I didn't see anything else that used 5/8 inch. If you wanted a non-waterproof in that size, you were out of luck...

C.W
C.W

October 4th, 2005, 7:31 am #9

I really am limited, in knowlege, to what I can find in the service manuals and mine end at 1971. There are many more versed in Timex lore around here which is why I hang around here to take advantage of it.
My first answer would have been that Sprites dance around to pan pipes in the forests and Mercurys are cars first introduced by FoMoCo back in the 30's.

Bill D
Bound to be someone around here smarter than the two of us!
I mean, gotta be!

--Charlie