1962 11 Jewel Back-Set Timex

1962 11 Jewel Back-Set Timex

RonD.
RonD.

March 10th, 2004, 3:32 am #1

Here is a cool back-set Timex I got in a lot I purchased on Ebay. The movement says 11 jewels and the dial says West Germany. It has a cool poker chip style dial. The inside back of the case is stamped "12M62". I am guessing that means 1962. The watch balance spins and the watch tics when you put a battery in, but the hands will not move, then it stops ticking. I wanted to take the dial off and see if the gears were stuck, but cannot figure out how to get the dial off. Any suggestions?

Ron

DennisM
DennisM

March 10th, 2004, 4:16 am #2

That is an early electric Timex. I have tried to fix those with no luck, they are really hard to get back together! They do not seem to respond to cleaning and oiling like other old Timexes. Maybe you can get a NOS movement for it. Good Luck, DennisM

Jack from Philadelphia
Jack from Philadelphia

March 10th, 2004, 3:46 pm #3

The Timex history book indicates that there were some definite quality control issues with the early electrics. That might explain at least some of your problems.

RonD.
RonD.

March 10th, 2004, 7:40 pm #4

That is an early electric Timex. I have tried to fix those with no luck, they are really hard to get back together! They do not seem to respond to cleaning and oiling like other old Timexes. Maybe you can get a NOS movement for it. Good Luck, DennisM
Well since it already ticks, can you give me an idea of how to get the dial off?

Ron

DennisM
DennisM

March 11th, 2004, 1:29 am #5

You remove the dial by loosening the dial screws on the side of the movement at about the 12 minute and 40 minute positions on the dial. One is in a recess by the side of the balance and the other is also in a recess opposite the balance. Good Luck. DennisM