1940s Timex. Movement of 'nurse Timex'

1940s Timex. Movement of 'nurse Timex'

Alan N.
Alan N.

September 27th, 2005, 8:05 am #1

3 pictures.

John challenged me to open up the watch, and check it out, so I did

It is an unmarked brass movement, looks like the usual #21.

In fact, check out the code at the top, it begins with 21, and I wonder if this references the movement. I don't know what the other numbers represent. Watch still seems to be running fine, which is good, I have bad luck when I open watches!

Knut
Knut

September 27th, 2005, 10:02 am #2

...pics of this early Timex dial/movement! It's also very interesting to see that "code" at the top of the dial. I would assume that the first two digits indeed indicates the movement. It could also be a military / MIL number? These were issued to the nurses during WWII? Thanks Alan for posting the pics and info!

Knut

John
John

September 27th, 2005, 7:34 pm #3

3 pictures.

John challenged me to open up the watch, and check it out, so I did

It is an unmarked brass movement, looks like the usual #21.

In fact, check out the code at the top, it begins with 21, and I wonder if this references the movement. I don't know what the other numbers represent. Watch still seems to be running fine, which is good, I have bad luck when I open watches!

very much for sharing this information.I just about fell out of my chair this a.m. when I opened the Forum and saw this post. I had no expectation of "challenging" you on this, but I can't tell you how happy I am that you opened the watch and posted the photos.It is a thing of beauty. Does it look like the screw heads have been worked on with a screw driver? I'll bet there was some real serious "legal" discussions within U.S.Time before they put this movement into a watch and called it "Timex" even if it was for the military. This is one of the reasons it's difficult to get a real true picture of an organization like Timex from a book "commissioned" by them ,ie;Timex:A Company and its Community.The "v-conic" was very likly the result of work done for the Government on the fuse timers made during WW-II. I sure wish someone from Timex or the Olsen family would "open up" and discuss this early work. Otherwise it will just get lost in the fog of time. Thanks ,Alan, for the excellent post.