Would you buy a DRSD with no papers?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Would you buy a DRSD with no papers?

June 28th, 2011, 5:52 am #1

Hi, just wondering if you would buy a Double red SD in original condition without papers to save on costs. Do you forsee the demand for a DRSD even without papers falling anytime soon?

June 28th, 2011, 7:04 am #2

If it comes from a reliable source and it can be authenticated and serviced by Rolex or an authorized Rolex service center...go for it if the price is right.

Watches with papers are far over valued IMO. Some examples command a 50%+ premium for papers...Wear the watch...not the papers.

Cheers,
Last edited by Faz99Master on June 28th, 2011, 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 28th, 2011, 7:30 am #3

And regarding the question what the market will do: if only we knew.

June 28th, 2011, 8:00 am #4

Hi, just wondering if you would buy a Double red SD in original condition without papers to save on costs. Do you forsee the demand for a DRSD even without papers falling anytime soon?
I certainly don't have a problem with owning DRSDs and other vintage Rolex watches without original paperwork.

Obviously, it is nice and more desirable to buy one with papers, but the price premium can be significant...

MW

June 28th, 2011, 9:18 am #5

and I'm certainly one of the people who prefers full box sets.

For myself more important is the condition of the watch itself, eg an overpolished case can never be repaired only replaced and for some collectors it would always detract from the watch.

I'd rather have a pristine watch than a tired box set piece.

But each to his own and of course its always a question of how deep are your pockets and everyone has to start somewhere.

kind regards

John

June 28th, 2011, 11:02 am #6

papers are paper, nice to have them, but the watch's conditions are far more important...

Cheers

AZ

AAKVIPER
AAKVIPER

June 28th, 2011, 12:43 pm #7

I certainly don't have a problem with owning DRSDs and other vintage Rolex watches without original paperwork.

Obviously, it is nice and more desirable to buy one with papers, but the price premium can be significant...

MW
cheers A

June 28th, 2011, 1:13 pm #8

I bought a Mark 4 DRSD (1977) last winter for 1.7 million Japanese yen. I has RSC Japan papers from 5 years ago. It is as original as original gets. I have the pawn shop receipt from where it was purchased before I bought it as well. I trust the seller 100% which is what you need to be able to do. If it had the punched papers and the box and all the goodies I would gladly have paid more. Why? Because I could be that more self-assured of being able to sell it with some proof of authenticity as well as provenance. In Japan, where I live, that is important. Good luck and let us know what you decided to do. Just my 2 cents ( or yen) if you will.

June 28th, 2011, 2:43 pm #9

MW
As I said, premiums charged for "punch guarantees" and "service papers" are ludicrous. Many collectors/hobbyists seem to confuse papers with provenance. In that respect, I put more value on service papers than an old punch guarantee that changed hands 100 times. When I got into this hobby, I asked the question about how much does paperwork add to a watch's value. The consensus was 15-20%...Times have changed.

They are nice to have but would you pay 50 to 100% premiums for those? (and yes, some charge this). There's a run of the mill 16750 for 7K on another sales board. So that punch guarantee puts this watch in that range. I guess as long as people are willing to pay, the premium for papers will remain.

Cheers,

Last edited by Faz99Master on June 28th, 2011, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 28th, 2011, 3:28 pm #10

Err...this one could have cost Orchi few more fingers n toes...
during the peak seasons during 2007/2008 or so...

But a couple of months back...with NO papers/box/Zilt accessories.
Orchi got is for few fingers + toes less...
at $22K or something like that...with retirement fund.

Today IF the watch is up for sale...
it might be sold for a couple of fingers...LESS...
or more...
depending on who could be the buying party...
between dealers...or collectors.

At a pawn shop...maybe 50% or 60% top of that...
BUT Orchi doesn't wanna sell it...LOL! Yet...

Best regards
Orchi.