Wide Boy Day Dates on Manly leather straps (scans) >>

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Wide Boy Day Dates on Manly leather straps (scans) >>

2wsxcde3
VRF Member
2wsxcde3
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 10:28 am #1

After watching yesterday's Japanese auction on a crappy condition watch I thought it a good idea to share the knowledge on these dials.

The wide baton dial and handset was one of many standard configuration dials available in the 60's and 70's. In YG there are no more or less available than in any other guise. But in WG they are VERY few and far between.

When they come up for sale (even sometimes with big premiums) they get snapped up very quickly by collectors and never hang around. The reason is that of all the DD dials they have the most masculine of appearance and appeal to sports collectors as a good style first DD. Every serious DD collector I have met will always have at least one in their line up.

Anyway, I've just put my 3 on some manly leather straps I bought in HK to show how versatile and cool a watch this can be.

Anyone who thinks they should have at least one DD in their collection should consider this combo as a start.

If you have one please share your scans,

Hope you like the snaps,

Steve.P

janiceandfred
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 10:45 am #2

love those wide markers! unfortunately we don't own one to post pics of but since you made such a big impression i am going to have to hunt all over until i find one (and spend money i don't really have)

your killing me with all of your amazing day dates and i especially like the no cyclops look!

all the best!

fred

ssp226
VRF Member
ssp226
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 10:46 am #3

After watching yesterday's Japanese auction on a crappy condition watch I thought it a good idea to share the knowledge on these dials.

The wide baton dial and handset was one of many standard configuration dials available in the 60's and 70's. In YG there are no more or less available than in any other guise. But in WG they are VERY few and far between.

When they come up for sale (even sometimes with big premiums) they get snapped up very quickly by collectors and never hang around. The reason is that of all the DD dials they have the most masculine of appearance and appeal to sports collectors as a good style first DD. Every serious DD collector I have met will always have at least one in their line up.

Anyway, I've just put my 3 on some manly leather straps I bought in HK to show how versatile and cool a watch this can be.

Anyone who thinks they should have at least one DD in their collection should consider this combo as a start.

Hope you like the snaps,

Steve.P

I think you did very well, with some inspiration and guidance from me of course! LOL!(haha you know what I mean) Nice watches as always Steve!

Greatgatsby
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 10:50 am #4

Hope you like the snaps,

Steve.P

Such beautiful DDs, Steve - thanks for sharing!

BEST
Werner

2wsxcde3
VRF Member
2wsxcde3
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 10:59 am #5

I think you did very well, with some inspiration and guidance from me of course! LOL!(haha you know what I mean) Nice watches as always Steve!

who found you that Wide Boy last week?

Your goofy eyes probably thought it was an Omega Constellation!

though you are due a round of applause for showing me all the secret local venues.

Go to the top of the class!

Steve

denningroad
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 11:02 am #6

Hope you like the snaps,

Steve.P

. . . I love non-tritium version DD . . .

and your WG 1803 looks soooooo cooooool

Thnx for sharing, Steve.

br, Mike

ssp226
VRF Member
ssp226
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 11:18 am #7

who found you that Wide Boy last week?

Your goofy eyes probably thought it was an Omega Constellation!

though you are due a round of applause for showing me all the secret local venues.

Go to the top of the class!

Steve
LOL!

Detlev333
VRF Member
Detlev333
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 11:34 am #8

Hope you like the snaps,

Steve.P

Man, I got to get me one of those ;(

And need to hit HK for a pub crawl soon!

Ciao,D

March 12th, 2012, 11:54 am #9

Hope you like the snaps,

Steve.P

Nt
Last edited by watchesap on March 12th, 2012, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

munchiew
VRF Member
munchiew
VRF Member

March 12th, 2012, 12:46 pm #10

Hope you like the snaps,

Steve.P

Wanna swap? Your Qaboos will do very nicely! LOL@@@.