Why do we buy what we buy? And then sell?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Why do we buy what we buy? And then sell?

April 12th, 2012, 12:43 am #1

My brother is nuts...he only buys old cars that don't run. And he never fixes them, he just parks them and say's he will get around to working on them someday. I try to talk to him about this but then perhaps I am only a little saner by degree.

Why did I buy all the watches that have come and gone through my life? If I had kept more of them I might be able to come up with an answer that made sense. As it is, I only have one I really (hope?) don't plan to sell...and it is not at all the rarest or the most interesting or etc. My other two I periodically try to sell for felonious prices...and they don't sell so I put them back in their pouches and wear them when I sleep so as to give them some reason for existing...and for my having bought them. And to be honest if I could have all the watches that I bought and sold once more back in my posession, I would do it...only to stroke them and wind them and set them and stare at them...and then start thinking about which ones to sell...again.

The one that I am currently trying to sell (without luck) has me desperately trying to convince myself to keep it by putting it back on a bracelet...which I will have to buy. The one I am not currently trying to sell but might soon, is the one that gets all the attention and ooohhhhs and aaaahhhhhs when I wear it but even though I really really really like it...I just don't love it...so I try to make it more appealing to me by trying different straps on it...straps that don't really work with the other watches...and so I've a bunch of very nice straps for a watch I don't really love and maybe won't keep.

But why did I buy these two watches that I still have but don't really want? And why did I sell all those watches that now I want back? Which makes me wonder "what will I do with the watch I really really love? I hope I don't sell it.

Maybe my brother could give me some advice. Anybody else have these...doubts?

John Ireland

April 12th, 2012, 3:40 am #2

That would be akin to asking American politicians whether they believe there should be such a thing as campaign finance reform!! Hahahahahaha!!!

Cheers and enjoy!

April 12th, 2012, 5:22 am #3

My brother is nuts...he only buys old cars that don't run. And he never fixes them, he just parks them and say's he will get around to working on them someday. I try to talk to him about this but then perhaps I am only a little saner by degree.

Why did I buy all the watches that have come and gone through my life? If I had kept more of them I might be able to come up with an answer that made sense. As it is, I only have one I really (hope?) don't plan to sell...and it is not at all the rarest or the most interesting or etc. My other two I periodically try to sell for felonious prices...and they don't sell so I put them back in their pouches and wear them when I sleep so as to give them some reason for existing...and for my having bought them. And to be honest if I could have all the watches that I bought and sold once more back in my posession, I would do it...only to stroke them and wind them and set them and stare at them...and then start thinking about which ones to sell...again.

The one that I am currently trying to sell (without luck) has me desperately trying to convince myself to keep it by putting it back on a bracelet...which I will have to buy. The one I am not currently trying to sell but might soon, is the one that gets all the attention and ooohhhhs and aaaahhhhhs when I wear it but even though I really really really like it...I just don't love it...so I try to make it more appealing to me by trying different straps on it...straps that don't really work with the other watches...and so I've a bunch of very nice straps for a watch I don't really love and maybe won't keep.

But why did I buy these two watches that I still have but don't really want? And why did I sell all those watches that now I want back? Which makes me wonder "what will I do with the watch I really really love? I hope I don't sell it.

John Ireland
I read a lot and one of the subjects that interests me is understanding 'The Reality Tunnel' (our individual belief system)

We all look through our own individual tunnels at a world we believe to be correct to us. This forum doesn't bring like minded people together it's simply a place where a bunch of guys have a tunnel with a slight subject overlap. A shared passion in a particular brand doesn't mean you're gonna like a guy or have any more in common with someone you just met in a coffee shop and end up discussing muffins with.

How we collect, what we collect, our motivations and the things that satisfy us/piss us off will be as diverse as as our own individual personalities. You only have to look at some of the pissing contests that go on between passionate collectors to know this is correct.

So John, the way you buy, sell, regret what you did and then start over is what makes you you. And BTW your brother is not nuts to me either - I've never not met a junk hoarder who wasn't an interesting guy to know and talk to.

(sorry for venturing off topic a little)

Besties

Steve

This may or may not interest you:

http://www.dedroidify.com/realitytunnel.htm

April 12th, 2012, 11:41 am #4

John Ireland
Hi John,
It's Bruce from the U.K. i purchased your day date at the end of 2011, just so you know i'm wearing the watch as i type this and all is well. The watch is worn every week and i still love it with no plans to sell.
cheers
bruchttp://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... aydate.jpg

April 12th, 2012, 3:27 pm #5

John Ireland
If you could have back the one you realy want , you'll probably dream about those 2 you have right now.
I have a good news and a bad news:
The bad one is that you are a psycho
The good one is ........you're not alone! LOL

April 12th, 2012, 4:34 pm #6

Hi John,
It's Bruce from the U.K. i purchased your day date at the end of 2011, just so you know i'm wearing the watch as i type this and all is well. The watch is worn every week and i still love it with no plans to sell.
cheers
bruchttp://i1244.photobucket.com/albums/gg5 ... aydate.jpg
true...I always check out DD ads now that I don't have one. At the same time I've never owned a Sub... and maybe never will...or will I?

Hope this finds you well.

John Ireland

April 12th, 2012, 4:50 pm #7

John Ireland
I still had...or not...

ROLEXES IVE OWNED

* STILL OWN
# WISH I STILL OWNED

# 1. 1991 DATEJUST SS/WHITE GLD PRIVATE
2. 1958 1601 DATEJUST SS/GOLD EBAY
3. 1940S BB 14K/SS EBAY
# 4. 5505 EVEREST 14K/SS PRIVATE
5. 1940S BB SS EBAY
6. 1975 GMT MASTER SS/GLD EBAY
7. 1970S OP DATE SS EBAY
# 8. 1968 ZEPHYR DATE SS/14K EBAY
9. 1968 14K DATE EBAY
10. EARLY 1980S OP SS/18K EBAY
11. 1953/54 ZEPHYR NON DATE SS/14K EBAY
# 12. 6305 DATEJUST 18K PRIVATE
# 13. 1013 YGLD NON DATE OP 18K EBAY
14. 1024 14K CAP EBAY
15. 6594 MERITUS SS/14K EBAY
16. 5506 EXPLORER SS/14K EBAY
17. 1013 PGLD EBAY
18. 1601 DATEJUST BLK DIAL 14K/SS EBAY
19. 6085 OP SUPER OYSTER 18K/SS EBAY
20. 1803 DAY DATE # EBAY
21. 1978 GMT MASTER 14K/SS EBAY
22. 1625 TURNOGRAPH 14K/SS EBAY
23. 1957-ISH DATEJUST 6605 9K EBAY
24. 1803 BLK DIAL/DAUPHINE HANDS EBAY
# 25. 18078 (1983) DAY DATE PRIVATE
# 26. 1602 DATEJUST 18K W/ ORIGINAL BRICK BRACELET EBAY
# 27. 1502 DATE 18K ON BRACELET EBAY
* 28. 1013 PG GLD 18K * EBAY
* 29. 1013 YG ON ORIG JUBILEE BRACELET * EBAY
30. 1803 w/ claw markers (Bonham)
*31. 5505 w/ refinished honeycomb dial - EBAY

There may be a couple Ive forgotten.

John Ireland

April 12th, 2012, 8:07 pm #8

I read a lot and one of the subjects that interests me is understanding 'The Reality Tunnel' (our individual belief system)

We all look through our own individual tunnels at a world we believe to be correct to us. This forum doesn't bring like minded people together it's simply a place where a bunch of guys have a tunnel with a slight subject overlap. A shared passion in a particular brand doesn't mean you're gonna like a guy or have any more in common with someone you just met in a coffee shop and end up discussing muffins with.

How we collect, what we collect, our motivations and the things that satisfy us/piss us off will be as diverse as as our own individual personalities. You only have to look at some of the pissing contests that go on between passionate collectors to know this is correct.

So John, the way you buy, sell, regret what you did and then start over is what makes you you. And BTW your brother is not nuts to me either - I've never not met a junk hoarder who wasn't an interesting guy to know and talk to.

(sorry for venturing off topic a little)

Besties

Steve

This may or may not interest you:

http://www.dedroidify.com/realitytunnel.htm
interesting answer