Where are all the well used/cheap vintages?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Where are all the well used/cheap vintages?

dcfis
VRF Member
dcfis
VRF Member

October 17th, 2011, 3:30 am #1

I mean on the net we see many choice or collector type pieces. Some of these were made in great numbers over a long time, there has to be well priced, well loved pieces. Where do people find these? Im sure there in pawn shops and craigslist sellers, but that doesnt account for the many out there.

GMTKiwi
VRF Member
GMTKiwi
VRF Member

October 17th, 2011, 5:19 am #2

.... could be explained in part by the 'whole' being worth less than the 'sum of its parts'

As the vintage Rolex hobby grows, so does the vintage Rolex business.
This sees many tired old Rolexes get parted out with bits sold on via eBay, VRM and various other fora.

I have a soft spot for beaten and bruised watches but accept that sacrificing a tired watch can benefit several other watches - such is life I guess.

October 17th, 2011, 7:55 am #3

I mean on the net we see many choice or collector type pieces. Some of these were made in great numbers over a long time, there has to be well priced, well loved pieces. Where do people find these? Im sure there in pawn shops and craigslist sellers, but that doesnt account for the many out there.
So: good question.

October 17th, 2011, 2:00 pm #4

Reckel
VRF Member
Reckel
VRF Member

October 17th, 2011, 7:21 pm #5

I bought this 1803 with papers from ebay with some very bat photos but the pictures were telling me it's real.

So quite a lot of "patina" and I decided to send it to Rolex Germany for a complete revision. I got it back as they refused the revision because they stated they would have to replace just everthing which would mean to build a new watch from scratch.

I bought a new dial, hands, crown and seals and spent a day with my watchmaker documenting the overhaul which with all parts and a 130.- strap resulted in less than 700.- and the complete watch with papers was less than 3000,-

So there are some used and relatively cheap ones outside, but not in masses...

Bye,
Derk

GMTKiwi
VRF Member
GMTKiwi
VRF Member

October 17th, 2011, 9:39 pm #6

Tudor beaters still seem to pop up FS quite often.
Plenty of variety of models - including the very sexy Tudor Subs.
Usually (not always) more affordable than a similar reference Rolex.
Most repair parts readily available.