When searching the Internet for 1802 model

Vintage Rolex Discussion

When searching the Internet for 1802 model

April 25th, 2012, 4:29 pm #1

I found only a few. The interesting thing is that all were close to 2.5 million serial number and all but one have Spanish Day disc.
So was it a model done just for the South American market ?
Spain would be to small of a market, wouldn't it?

April 25th, 2012, 4:53 pm #2

Dealers have them if you want them..

Arthur
Last edited by aakviper on April 25th, 2012, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2012, 5:18 pm #3

Are you sure you were looking at 1802s and not 1803s with smooth bezels.
Just seeing the watch in the case may cause you to assume it is an 1802...
Did most have Spanish Day wheels?
I realize some might have been changed later to English.
How many 6542s, 1665s an other sport models did you see ?
Last edited by IgorDR on April 25th, 2012, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2012, 5:53 pm #4

and fluted bezel 1803's galore...with and without bracelets....

As usual 6542's, pusher PN and two PN screw downs, regular Daytona's, BC Subs, a few Mill and Comex Subs sprinkled in , red 1680's, many non guard thin Subs,some DR 1665's and a plethora of other generic sport models were present at interesting prices. Nothing has changed..Business as usual...All the vintage US guys where here for a meet and greet..I bought sold a few watches and so on..

John Buckley and I went to a nice restaurant in Brooklyn..

That is what I witnessed..
Arthur

April 25th, 2012, 5:55 pm #5

Are you sure you were looking at 1802s and not 1803s with smooth bezels.
Just seeing the watch in the case may cause you to assume it is an 1802...
Did most have Spanish Day wheels?
I realize some might have been changed later to English.
How many 6542s, 1665s an other sport models did you see ?
...have added the smooth bezel to 1803s to reflect their personal tastes and this accounts for the majority of smooth bezel slowset DDs one encounters. One used to see more PG 1802s around but those appear to have disappeared completely, swept up in the fashionista PG Day-Date craze most likely. Obviously, we all know the WG 1802 is a rare beast. There must also be Platinum, as well, and these appear to have been largely sold in the oil rich nations of the Middle East.
As for YG 1802s--they are a bit more "common" of course and I personally have never noticed any more Spanish day wheel versions than English. But I have hardly conducted a thorough sample and so would be inclined to give a high-volume guy such as yourself (Igor) the benefit of the doubt on that pending further research. Obviously, again we are in the position of owners being able to swap language discs, so that is a hard thing to pin down absent original sales/deaer-stamped papers.
Best,
T.

April 25th, 2012, 6:26 pm #6

and fluted bezel 1803's galore...with and without bracelets....

As usual 6542's, pusher PN and two PN screw downs, regular Daytona's, BC Subs, a few Mill and Comex Subs sprinkled in , red 1680's, many non guard thin Subs,some DR 1665's and a plethora of other generic sport models were present at interesting prices. Nothing has changed..Business as usual...All the vintage US guys where here for a meet and greet..I bought sold a few watches and so on..

John Buckley and I went to a nice restaurant in Brooklyn..

That is what I witnessed..
Arthur
is that dealers trade among themselves watches that they find harder to move to their clients. The prices among established dealers are more advantageous when dealing among themselves. Prices to those with a "VISITOR" badge are usually higher.
How do those floor prices reflect what an end user will pay is another story.
So if you saw the 1802s at the show why do we see so few offered for sale on the NET ??

April 25th, 2012, 6:32 pm #7

...have added the smooth bezel to 1803s to reflect their personal tastes and this accounts for the majority of smooth bezel slowset DDs one encounters. One used to see more PG 1802s around but those appear to have disappeared completely, swept up in the fashionista PG Day-Date craze most likely. Obviously, we all know the WG 1802 is a rare beast. There must also be Platinum, as well, and these appear to have been largely sold in the oil rich nations of the Middle East.
As for YG 1802s--they are a bit more "common" of course and I personally have never noticed any more Spanish day wheel versions than English. But I have hardly conducted a thorough sample and so would be inclined to give a high-volume guy such as yourself (Igor) the benefit of the doubt on that pending further research. Obviously, again we are in the position of owners being able to swap language discs, so that is a hard thing to pin down absent original sales/deaer-stamped papers.
Best,
T.
I think you are a more high volume dealer than I am...
I have seen your for sales posts on various watch forums.
As to 1802s and 1803s in pink going to "fashionistas" I think you are spot on. Last 2 inquiries I received on mine were from women !! The one who ended up buying mine had to have the bracelet shortened to 6 inches.

April 25th, 2012, 6:38 pm #8

is that dealers trade among themselves watches that they find harder to move to their clients. The prices among established dealers are more advantageous when dealing among themselves. Prices to those with a "VISITOR" badge are usually higher.
How do those floor prices reflect what an end user will pay is another story.
So if you saw the 1802s at the show why do we see so few offered for sale on the NET ??
so they buy stock for their stores. The 1802 for dealers are just another Gold Pres for a retail sale.
While the "net" is a fun place to be, you would be surprised of the quantity of dealers who are not into the vintage watch scene on the net.

In my opinion the retail price a "civilian" pays and the prices among established dealers are one in the same.

Arthur

April 25th, 2012, 7:06 pm #9

I think you are a more high volume dealer than I am...
I have seen your for sales posts on various watch forums.
As to 1802s and 1803s in pink going to "fashionistas" I think you are spot on. Last 2 inquiries I received on mine were from women !! The one who ended up buying mine had to have the bracelet shortened to 6 inches.
Really, Igor?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/afinewatch/m.ht ... 4340.l2562

LOL. You are a funny guy...in more ways than one.
When I turn Pro (like you), I'll let you know.
T.

April 25th, 2012, 9:31 pm #10

I have seen your FOR SALE posts on various forums for probably 10 years.
You are a pro and that is a compliment