What would you do??

Vintage Rolex Discussion

What would you do??

November 23rd, 2011, 2:04 pm #1

Have about $ 12,000 to spend on a new watch. What would you buy.

Have these 2 which I am very happy for,, but would you sell one of them + put money on top and get something else.
My 1680 6m-serie
[/IMG]

My 1675 4m-serie

[/IMG]

Let me hear some suggestions.

Thanks.

By
G

November 23rd, 2011, 3:00 pm #2

Speaking from experience I did what you are contemplating. I sold 3 watches and added about $10K and bought a 1665 Mark 4 DRSD in pristine condition. I love it but...I never wear it. I have worn it 3 times in the one year I have now owned it. I just feel guilty that I might scratch or damage it. I bought a 5513 Maxi full set and just spectacular but have never worn it though I swore I would. I reckon my next purchase will be a 1680 red that I can wear every day but I now find myself seeking out a pristine example which I know will then make me feel that I need to keep that in the safe too. Glad I have my Panerais and my newer-ish 167520 and Milgauss to get me through every day.

Good lck.

David

November 23rd, 2011, 5:23 pm #3

Have these 2 which I am very happy for,, but would you sell one of them + put money on top and get something else.
My 1680 6m-serie
[/IMG]

My 1675 4m-serie

[/IMG]

Thanks.

By
G
given the money you are talking about spending. Do Tell

Cheers!

November 23rd, 2011, 5:51 pm #4

My 1680 6m-serie
[/IMG]

My 1675 4m-serie

[/IMG]

Thanks.

By
G
keep them. Enjoy them. Watches that are too valuable to wear is fine for a museum...but for the real world buying a watch you are afraid to wear is like saying my beautiful wife is too lovely to kiss.
You can get a lot of nice watch for $12000. You seem to have the sport look covered so maybe it is time to get outside of the box...a nice dress Patek...or if you want to stay in the Rolex family, pick up a used example of the recent Rolex Prince models...or an 18k bubbleback...if you haven't worn a bb you are in for a unique experience.

Expect to lose money on every watch you buy...that way you won't overpay and you won't be disappointed later.

John Ireland

November 23rd, 2011, 10:25 pm #5

Speaking from experience I did what you are contemplating. I sold 3 watches and added about $10K and bought a 1665 Mark 4 DRSD in pristine condition. I love it but...I never wear it. I have worn it 3 times in the one year I have now owned it. I just feel guilty that I might scratch or damage it. I bought a 5513 Maxi full set and just spectacular but have never worn it though I swore I would. I reckon my next purchase will be a 1680 red that I can wear every day but I now find myself seeking out a pristine example which I know will then make me feel that I need to keep that in the safe too. Glad I have my Panerais and my newer-ish 167520 and Milgauss to get me through every day.

Good lck.

David
Thats was funny because I've actually thought about the same, about the DRSD,,,love that watch,,,it's stunning.
But I know how much time my vintage watches get on my arm and that is not much as you tell (have it exactly the same way)

Have other watches that i use daily like Rolex SD and a couple of Pams and they get plenty of time on my wrist.

[/IMG]

Maybe it's time to relax and enjoy my watches,,instead of always being on hunt after a new one,, but love it what can i do

I actually envy those who have found the perfect watch, they can be pleased with.

November 23rd, 2011, 10:48 pm #6

keep them. Enjoy them. Watches that are too valuable to wear is fine for a museum...but for the real world buying a watch you are afraid to wear is like saying my beautiful wife is too lovely to kiss.
You can get a lot of nice watch for $12000. You seem to have the sport look covered so maybe it is time to get outside of the box...a nice dress Patek...or if you want to stay in the Rolex family, pick up a used example of the recent Rolex Prince models...or an 18k bubbleback...if you haven't worn a bb you are in for a unique experience.

Expect to lose money on every watch you buy...that way you won't overpay and you won't be disappointed later.

John Ireland
Love this (But for the real world buying a watch you are afraid to wear is like saying my beautiful wife is too lovely to kiss.)

Haven't worn a BB yet but i think the case will be to small..(have to try it)
Patek maybe!!! love the Patek's, especially Nautilus ref 5711,,, but my brain says vintage;-)

November 24th, 2011, 12:24 am #7

My 1680 6m-serie
[/IMG]

My 1675 4m-serie

[/IMG]

Thanks.

By
G
How about a vintage seadweller to round off you collection. Brian

November 24th, 2011, 1:30 am #8

My 1680 6m-serie
[/IMG]

My 1675 4m-serie

[/IMG]

Thanks.

By
G
I'd keep the two you have (which seem very nice) and either go for something in your current price range or just wait and save for a while longer. I don't think prices are skyrocketing any time soon, and the best you'd be doing by selling is more or less doubling your money, right? That wouldn't dramatically change your situation-no Explorer dial Subs or Milsubs or whatnot for $25k. On the other hand, there are lots of really nice watches that can be had for 12k give or take- Red Sub, maybe a 1655, or plenty of other non sport models.

November 24th, 2011, 5:56 am #9

How about a vintage seadweller to round off you collection. Brian
My SD now has a lot more wrist time than my GMT or Subs - even though its is worth a lot more.

Failing that how about a nice 16660 - again I have one which I use as my beater.

Andy

November 24th, 2011, 7:27 am #10

My 1680 6m-serie
[/IMG]

My 1675 4m-serie

[/IMG]

Thanks.

By
G
That way, you have a sub that sits a bit higher on the ladder while you still have that
lovely GMT as a good daily watch. Complement the collection with a nice, patinated
vintage Speedmaster, such as a 105.012 or something along those lines. A little variety
can be nice =)

Here's a photo of mine.