What to do with this crystal??

Vintage Rolex Discussion

What to do with this crystal??

oldempirellc
VRF Member

August 1st, 2011, 3:37 pm #1

OK, this watch was on e-bay for a while, and I finally broke down and bought it. Case is nice without any corrosion, but it has been polished. "oyster patent" crown. Clean, working movement. Oyster Watch Co. case without model number. Original Hands.

... but the crystal - I cannot even see the dial. So, here's the question - do I replace the original crystal and have a nice clean watch with visible dial? or do I keep the original crystal, and never wear this watch? Of course, I can try to pull it, save it and use a new crystal to wear the watch, but I'm sure based on the condition of the crystal, if I try to pull it, it'll break into many little pieces.

Honestly, due to the size of the watch, I do not plan to wear it much, maybe once a year or so.

I'll post a scan of the dial later.

Brian
Brian

August 1st, 2011, 3:44 pm #2

Otherwise you will destroy the value of the watch. Nevermind that you cannot use it for its intended function or really enjoy it in any way. Enjoyment is not for purists.

August 1st, 2011, 4:55 pm #3

August 1st, 2011, 5:01 pm #4

OK, this watch was on e-bay for a while, and I finally broke down and bought it. Case is nice without any corrosion, but it has been polished. "oyster patent" crown. Clean, working movement. Oyster Watch Co. case without model number. Original Hands.

... but the crystal - I cannot even see the dial. So, here's the question - do I replace the original crystal and have a nice clean watch with visible dial? or do I keep the original crystal, and never wear this watch? Of course, I can try to pull it, save it and use a new crystal to wear the watch, but I'm sure based on the condition of the crystal, if I try to pull it, it'll break into many little pieces.

Honestly, due to the size of the watch, I do not plan to wear it much, maybe once a year or so.

Patina goes only so far before it becomes junk. This, imho, could and should quality for a new crystal. Keep the old one and many pictures so a new owner can replace it if necessary.

moelarrycu
VRF Member
moelarrycu
VRF Member

August 1st, 2011, 6:09 pm #5

IMHO this crystal must be replaced. It is completely unstable and WILL fall apart at some point. Not a question of if, a question of when. It will then leave the watch open to more damage. Keep it if you want the bragging right to ALL ORIGINAL. Forget wearing it. You will damage it at some point with that crystal. Then how will you feel?
-mark

florianw
VRF Member
florianw
VRF Member

August 1st, 2011, 7:31 pm #6

becomes junk. And this plexi is nothing else than junk imho.

I would replace it and be happy with the watch...

oldempirellc
VRF Member

August 1st, 2011, 7:43 pm #7

... at the same time, I'm waiting for the day when we'll pay $15,000 extra for 'original crystal' or even better 'original spiderweb crystal' - since, I'm not sure what's rarer 'original dial' or original crystal'. Crystals take a lot more abuse and are automatically replaced at service time.

Last edited by oldempirellc on August 1st, 2011, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 1st, 2011, 8:15 pm #8

IMHO this crystal must be replaced. It is completely unstable and WILL fall apart at some point. Not a question of if, a question of when. It will then leave the watch open to more damage. Keep it if you want the bragging right to ALL ORIGINAL. Forget wearing it. You will damage it at some point with that crystal. Then how will you feel?
-mark
Agree. It needs to be replaced. I love vintage cars and there are two camps in the vintage car hobby/business. The first says, "Original is the ONLY way to go!" And finally, "Make it look like new". I fall somewhere in the middle depending on the circumstance. In this case, fix it, wear it and enjoy it.

Last edited by fantastictime on August 1st, 2011, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oldempirellc
VRF Member

August 1st, 2011, 11:14 pm #9

August 2nd, 2011, 2:34 am #10

Hey, my 1573 says hi...