What's the jewel of your collection?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

What's the jewel of your collection?

November 14th, 2011, 4:30 pm #1

Folks--

A thought over the weekend and I'd love others to weigh in, as appropriate: what's the prize of your collection?

By prize I don't necessarily mean dollar/euro value--I mean personal value, be it a gift, years of searching etc. (or dollar/euro value).

I have a very modest collection (being very generous with the use of the word) and my prized possession is my 2007 16610 Sub. Not vintage or rare by any means but it was a 5th Anniversary gift from my wife who had heard me years earlier say I'd love to own a stainless Rolex Sub in my life etc. She put the funds aside quietly and it was an exceptional surprise. She also lit the fuse for my love of the history and vintage of the brand and my desire to build a small collection. So that's mine--it's the last one I'd ever part with.

I have a friend whose father gave each of his 4 sons a stainless AirKing upon their graduation from university. Each one is engraved with "YOYO" and the graduation year on the caseback. "YOYO" means "You're On Your Own"--it's their entry into the world. That's his prize and always enjoy seeing him with his brothers sporting the same watch from different years.

Best,
Paul

November 14th, 2011, 5:29 pm #2

Mine has to be a 70's Sicura Commemerative 'MG' watch. Its only real worth is sentimental- My Old man gave it to me when I was 9/10 years old, I have bought the same since that I wear but coming from a family that had nothing to hand down its always remained very important, and will be handed down to my boy unworn by me.

Plus he may very well get a 'YOYO' watch when its time -thats great!

Regards

Carl

figcar
VRF Member
figcar
VRF Member

November 14th, 2011, 5:36 pm #3

Folks--

A thought over the weekend and I'd love others to weigh in, as appropriate: what's the prize of your collection?

By prize I don't necessarily mean dollar/euro value--I mean personal value, be it a gift, years of searching etc. (or dollar/euro value).

I have a very modest collection (being very generous with the use of the word) and my prized possession is my 2007 16610 Sub. Not vintage or rare by any means but it was a 5th Anniversary gift from my wife who had heard me years earlier say I'd love to own a stainless Rolex Sub in my life etc. She put the funds aside quietly and it was an exceptional surprise. She also lit the fuse for my love of the history and vintage of the brand and my desire to build a small collection. So that's mine--it's the last one I'd ever part with.

I have a friend whose father gave each of his 4 sons a stainless AirKing upon their graduation from university. Each one is engraved with "YOYO" and the graduation year on the caseback. "YOYO" means "You're On Your Own"--it's their entry into the world. That's his prize and always enjoy seeing him with his brothers sporting the same watch from different years.

Best,
Paul
better than any other watch I have or have had...and it is the last one I would ever get rid of. It is on my wrist as I write this. 18k yellow gold 1013 OP...36mm case w/ 20mm lugs...1560/70 movement...light engraving on the back indicating the original owner was Harry Tanabe. I am guessing that I am the second owner since I bought it from an estate sale...and owners after Mr. Tanabe would probably have had the engraving polished out.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

John Ireland

November 14th, 2011, 5:50 pm #4

Folks--

Best,
Paul
I've always felt the 1600 was the most elegant representation of the most iconic of Rolex; the Date Just and looked for one for years. This was before they became mildly popular so finding the ref 1600 was a bit difficult. I saw examples of a 1600 listed as a 1601 to avoid "confusing" the buyers with a weird ref. I ended up getting this one on our own VRM, it's a 1969 and I think retailed for 135 bucks in it's day.

I took it in to Dallas RSC and got the works done, practically a brand new 1969 1600 DJ! I spent as much on the service as the watch cost me, something most of you crazies can relate to, well worth it!

Ever since I saw a friend's watch in the 70s with a Cotton Bowl dial I knew I would have one someday and in the back of my mind it was always the 1600 that would get the dial (if I could ever find either!).

Most of you are familiar with my CB saga but probably the biggest thrill was getting the 1970 CB dial for the 1600. 1970 was probably the most famous of the Cotton Bowls, national championship, two US presidents in attendance, Paterno, Joe Thiesman and it was a hell of a good football game, Texas over Notre Dame.

I love my 1802 but there is just more appreciation for my little 1600...

ggwilliam
VRF Member
ggwilliam
VRF Member

November 14th, 2011, 6:19 pm #5

Folks--

Best,
Paul
My own collection is not exceptional, and for me the gem of my watches remains this small Tudor because of its History. It was one of the thirty Tudors given to the British expedition to Greenland 52/54.
Guillaume
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

November 14th, 2011, 9:02 pm #6

Folks--

Best,
Paul

...both there because of A) their significance within Rolex history and B) the sense of satisfaction that I feel when I wear them.
Best,
T.

scottb2
scottb2

November 14th, 2011, 10:30 pm #7

awesome 4 liner tom! love that watch

November 14th, 2011, 10:41 pm #8

...both there because of A) their significance within Rolex history and B) the sense of satisfaction that I feel when I wear them.
Best,
T.

nt

seve1939
VRF Member
seve1939
VRF Member

November 14th, 2011, 11:17 pm #9

Best,
T.

Beauties Tom--Sooooo nice--regards

November 14th, 2011, 11:38 pm #10

Folks--

Best,
Paul
...My Datejust 1600 is the spark that started this crazy passion for vintage Rolex and watches in general.

Handed down to me from my grandfather through my dad I received the watch a few years back and its the only watch I will under NO circumstances part with. (sometimes I´m almost glad he didnt leave me a PN or Big Crown since that would have been a harder promise to keep)