What is a reasonable price for cleaning/adjustment of GMT?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

What is a reasonable price for cleaning/adjustment of GMT?

par007
VRF Member
par007
VRF Member

November 12th, 2011, 4:23 pm #1

I only need a cleaning and regulation since its been about 7 years. The watch is running strong but is running slightly fast. I figure that if I was to have it regulated I may as well opt for cleaning. Rolex service is too inconvenient for me and I will go local independent; what is a reasonable price?

November 12th, 2011, 5:16 pm #2

...can be refreshed.
I'm not sure whether watchmakers make a distinction between "overhaul" and "cleaning"--if they are going to take the trouble to disassemble the movement to clean it, why not check all the parts, put in a new mainspring, fully lubricate everything, etc? Maybe someone in the watchmaking game will she some light on this.
In any case, I think a full service of a watch that doesn't need any major parts would probably run between $200-300 USD. A simple regulation should be much less, like 30-40 bucks.
Good luck,
T.

rmay2003
VRF Member
rmay2003
VRF Member

November 12th, 2011, 10:23 pm #3

I only need a cleaning and regulation since its been about 7 years. The watch is running strong but is running slightly fast. I figure that if I was to have it regulated I may as well opt for cleaning. Rolex service is too inconvenient for me and I will go local independent; what is a reasonable price?
Complete overhaul of a Y series GMT II at Rolex Service SF. They also replaced my all black bezel with a Coke red/black bezel.

For anyone out there with an all black bezel on their GMT II, going with a Coke bezel is a beautiful change. If I recall the bezel added another $100 or so to the total.

Ron

greekbum
VRF Member
greekbum
VRF Member

November 12th, 2011, 10:33 pm #4

A service from a watchmaker with a Rolex parts account should be around $2-$300 PLUS parts if you are dealing directly with the watchmaker. If you are going through a middle man double or triple this number.
Last edited by greekbum on November 12th, 2011, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 12th, 2011, 11:54 pm #5

a watchmaker in Italy not official Rolex , but very "Maître horloger" ,
I think not more 200/250 Eu. included a little polishing.
Different price if change the parts of watch , in this case the prise
could be very hight .

h.n.d.

Attilio

Lamone
VRF Member
Lamone
VRF Member

November 13th, 2011, 6:28 pm #6

I always pay $400 and it's top of the line work/service.

figcar
VRF Member
figcar
VRF Member

November 13th, 2011, 6:53 pm #7

the repair service. A master watchmaker working out of their kitchen can offer quite a price break. However the same person working out of a store or shop with rent and phone bills and electrical bills and perhaps a small staff and payroll taxes and Obamacare cost mandates and business liability insurance, etc. etc. etc., has to prorate those costs into the exact same service. Oh...I forgot to add that the watchmaker has to pay themself a slaary so they can pay their mortgage and buy their kids cloths and put gasoline in their car and pay for their home utilities and insurance and food and maybe even put some money into a savings account...etc.

Of course Rolex Service Centers probably charged the most...and they closed a lot them down because they were not profitable.

With the exception of the bezel a GMT is just another DateJust. For a full service and including those parts normally changed, I think a thousand dollars is a fair price. You might be able to get it down to $750 but I would begin to wonder what corners are being cut...unless he plans on cutting his kids down to two meals a day instead of three.

I choose a watchmaker I have references for or experience with and I don't argue over their price. After all, it is my watch they are working on and I want it to be given top quality parts and work.

John Ireland