Watch straps...a discussion about sources...

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Watch straps...a discussion about sources...

March 17th, 2012, 5:40 pm #1

Looking at watch ads from the forties and fifties, leather straps were thin and soft and not heavily padded. I used to get light tan kid leather straps for my 1963 14k Accutron...they were great. But now all the straps are so thick and heavily padded.

I'm looking for sources of thin croc straps...20mm at spring bar, 16mm at buckle. I had a source in Germany that sold Hirsch straps...thin without padding...just my style. But the last time I bought one from them they sent me the wrong size...a long instead of a regular...and they refused to correct their mistake and so now they are off my list of people I trust.

Hadly Romas are nice but I prefer less padding. When I google straps I am shocked at how few vendors show up. I went into a large watch store and again they had an abolutely awful selction.

Also, I find that there is a very real difference between croc and alligator...I want croc.

I've bought some nice Rolex vintage straps from people here...and they are perfect though I sometimes get skin irritation from them...whereas with the Hirsch I do not.

I just did another google search with different input and got a few more choices...DeBeers being the best of them...and just to see what there stuff is like I ordered one...but...

I'm still looking for what sources others here may have in this area. I don't even need one right this moment...which is why I'm not putting this in the Market.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend.

John Ireland
Last edited by figcar on March 17th, 2012, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 17th, 2012, 6:48 pm #2

Nt

March 17th, 2012, 9:11 pm #3

Looking at watch ads from the forties and fifties, leather straps were thin and soft and not heavily padded. I used to get light tan kid leather straps for my 1963 14k Accutron...they were great. But now all the straps are so thick and heavily padded.

I'm looking for sources of thin croc straps...20mm at spring bar, 16mm at buckle. I had a source in Germany that sold Hirsch straps...thin without padding...just my style. But the last time I bought one from them they sent me the wrong size...a long instead of a regular...and they refused to correct their mistake and so now they are off my list of people I trust.

Hadly Romas are nice but I prefer less padding. When I google straps I am shocked at how few vendors show up. I went into a large watch store and again they had an abolutely awful selction.

Also, I find that there is a very real difference between croc and alligator...I want croc.

I've bought some nice Rolex vintage straps from people here...and they are perfect though I sometimes get skin irritation from them...whereas with the Hirsch I do not.

I just did another google search with different input and got a few more choices...DeBeers being the best of them...and just to see what there stuff is like I ordered one...but...

I'm still looking for what sources others here may have in this area. I don't even need one right this moment...which is why I'm not putting this in the Market.

John Ireland
I can offer you to buy some for you from your source and fortward it to you. I am located in Germany and could care for proper delivery of your order. I think its easier to handle orders from here.

March 17th, 2012, 10:38 pm #4

John Ireland
and can order from the reference numbers if you have them.

MW

March 18th, 2012, 12:48 am #5

John Ireland
Some great vintage straps on eBay sometimes. Fun to look.

March 18th, 2012, 7:26 am #6

I can offer you to buy some for you from your source and fortward it to you. I am located in Germany and could care for proper delivery of your order. I think its easier to handle orders from here.
upset with the seller in Germany that gave me the wrong size and refused to take it back...even after I sent them pictures of the prior straps I bought from them with the new incorrect strap next to it and next to a ruler that shows the exact differences in length...I would not want to put anyone in the position of having to deal with them. Here are pictures of what I mean...

The difference in the end with the holes is minor, though the longer one has many more hole. The big difference is in the ends with the buckles...and when you put the two together it make a very long strap that becomes really unusuable. Also not the tags...the shorter strap is listed as Gm...the long strap is listed as Gl.

Again that you for your offer...I'll wait and see what the DeBeer straps are like.

John Ireland

March 18th, 2012, 7:29 am #7

and can order from the reference numbers if you have them.

MW

you can see the straps and the tags on them. The lighter tone strap is the correct size, Gm, the darker strap is the long one and sized Gl. If I may I will consider taking you up on your offer at a letter date but first let me see the quality and size of the DeBeer strap I have coming.
Again, thank you very much.

John Ireland

March 18th, 2012, 7:34 am #8

Nt
the current (new) Rolex straps I have looked at to be too thick (padded) for my taste...and I have to be honest and say that I also found the prices a little thick and padded. If I was walking into a little shop in the Marais and the man was making it custom for me I might find $400 to be acceptable, but not for a plain leather strap that happened to say Rolex on it. The vintage unpadded Rolex straps I have bought from sellers here have been very fairly priced and of excellent quality. And yes...you are right and I will look at Cellini.
My thanks.

John Ireland

March 18th, 2012, 7:59 am #9

Good luck with your quest. I suppose Camille Fournet is out of the question.

March 18th, 2012, 4:34 pm #10

John Ireland
has some great croc straps esp made to order.