Vintage GMT repainted dial

October 30th, 2017, 9:09 pm #1

Hi
Can anyone advise me please. Im no expert on rolex but I know what Im looking for in terms of looks. A vintage GMT Master from the late 60ths.
I found one and it looks almost new. The dial is repainted and the white parts are slightly yellow. Is that common, to repaint the dial? What impact does that have on the value? The one I found is about 10 000 euros.

Best/Ola

GMTKiwi
VRF Member
GMTKiwi
VRF Member

October 30th, 2017, 9:39 pm #2

Hey Ola,

A lot of value for an old sports Rolex is in the dial ..... and a 'repainted' dial certainly reduces value. If it's a fully repainted dial, a lot of collectors would reject the watch completely.

A 'relume' is a different story. This means the original dial is intact and correct but the plots have been touched up. Once again, a watch with a relumed dial will value lower than a comparable watch with a totally original dial. Some collectors will accept a relumed dial though, particularly if it's been well done and all else is ok.

And even with the crazy prices we now see for vintage sports Rolex watches, a late 60s GMT with a repainted dial is not worth 10,000 euros.

Any pics that would help us help you ?

leefowler
VRF Member
leefowler
VRF Member

October 30th, 2017, 9:40 pm #3

Hi
Can anyone advise me please. Im no expert on rolex but I know what Im looking for in terms of looks. A vintage GMT Master from the late 60ths.
I found one and it looks almost new. The dial is repainted and the white parts are slightly yellow. Is that common, to repaint the dial? What impact does that have on the value? The one I found is about 10 000 euros.

Best/Ola
Really need pics but a repainted dial nearly always kills the value.

October 31st, 2017, 7:53 am #4

Hey Ola,

A lot of value for an old sports Rolex is in the dial ..... and a 'repainted' dial certainly reduces value. If it's a fully repainted dial, a lot of collectors would reject the watch completely.

A 'relume' is a different story. This means the original dial is intact and correct but the plots have been touched up. Once again, a watch with a relumed dial will value lower than a comparable watch with a totally original dial. Some collectors will accept a relumed dial though, particularly if it's been well done and all else is ok.

And even with the crazy prices we now see for vintage sports Rolex watches, a late 60s GMT with a repainted dial is not worth 10,000 euros.

Any pics that would help us help you ?
Thank you for good advice. I got a link to the ad:http://www.chrono24.se/rolex/gmt-master ... 055490.htm

roh123
VRF Member
roh123
VRF Member

October 31st, 2017, 8:33 am #5

Nothing on that watch makes sense Ola. Pass (nt)

October 31st, 2017, 9:45 am #6

example in my hands as the dealer selling it got screwed by a guy selling this watch to him and the dealer is not that firm in vintage...Due to the fact that he still has it, it means that Paypal did not reimburse him...

Anyway- if you nedd a very good case- negotiate the price. Movement seems to be ok as well. The rest is for the bin box...

Michael

roh123
VRF Member
roh123
VRF Member

October 31st, 2017, 10:29 am #7

Case is early, crown guards look sharp, lugs look so so but as a project for someone with the important parts it might be worth the trouble. Sorry to hear the dealer got screwed.. I will still never understand the added box, papers etc. Not very serious regardless of knowledge level imho.

GMTKiwi
VRF Member
GMTKiwi
VRF Member

October 31st, 2017, 10:56 am #8

example in my hands as the dealer selling it got screwed by a guy selling this watch to him and the dealer is not that firm in vintage...Due to the fact that he still has it, it means that Paypal did not reimburse him...

Anyway- if you nedd a very good case- negotiate the price. Movement seems to be ok as well. The rest is for the bin box...

Michael
.... looks to be a nice, clean, era-correct, butterfly rotor movement.

October 31st, 2017, 11:39 am #9

Case is early, crown guards look sharp, lugs look so so but as a project for someone with the important parts it might be worth the trouble. Sorry to hear the dealer got screwed.. I will still never understand the added box, papers etc. Not very serious regardless of knowledge level imho.

October 31st, 2017, 11:40 am #10

.... looks to be a nice, clean, era-correct, butterfly rotor movement.