Unfamiliar 1675 crown guard

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Unfamiliar 1675 crown guard

January 4th, 2012, 1:32 pm #1

Dear friends,

My friend shows me pictures of a 1675. I am not an expert on 1675, but since the serial is 50xxxx, the dial and hands are from later period. What I need help from you is your opinion on its crown guard shape. I have tried to look at several PCG pictures and this one is different.

Your help would be appreciated.

Best,

Wichai

January 4th, 2012, 1:47 pm #2

[/IMG]

but yours seems to be unpolished as well....

January 4th, 2012, 2:06 pm #3

Dear friends,

My friend shows me pictures of a 1675. I am not an expert on 1675, but since the serial is 50xxxx, the dial and hands are from later period. What I need help from you is your opinion on its crown guard shape. I have tried to look at several PCG pictures and this one is different.

Best,

Wichai
Best Regards,
David.

January 4th, 2012, 3:10 pm #4

Dear friends,

Best,

Wichai
Looks like been grinded down,... Never seen one like it

January 4th, 2012, 3:20 pm #5

Dear friends,

Best,

Wichai
...for early 5512 Subs?

(Image from VRF Archive from W.O.Y.)

The chamfers & lug width on this GMT case suggest very little if any case polishing and the back definitely indicates a pointed crown guard case style. Maybe we are looking at something new here--a 1st gen 1675 crown guards case with not-yet-pointed guards???
Would love to see more & better close ups of the crown guard area.
Best,
T.

January 4th, 2012, 3:25 pm #6

watch, serial 503***, the earliest I know of....

[/IMG]

January 4th, 2012, 11:33 pm #7

...does not really protrude that much further above the CGs on the "chopped" one than the 1st gen 1675 that you show:

It is a bit difficult to judge perspective-wise but it does appear that the tops of both sets of crown guards stop about two thirds of the way up the crown. Which, if the flat ones had really been ground down heavily, I don't think they would--they would be much "stubbier" don't you think and more crown would be protruding? Also, it seems like where the angle of the guard begins its slope is much further back and less severe on the "chopped" one than on the early PG version.

And think of where you would have to grind these very early pointed guards to create this sort of flat surface--much further down at the base of the "pyramid", IMO:

Now it could be that this case has been ground down from the later-style pointed CGs, which are more like shark fins, more rounded, and are also "taller" and cover more of the crown:

(pics from my old 695,k SN 1675)

One could definitely ground this style down while still leaving a reasonable amount of guard remaining.

This is also why I want to see a bigger, better close up of the CG are on this strange case--to get a better idea of how far out the crown protrudes above the CGs. Also photos of the Serial # & Case # would of course be most helpful.
Because right now I feel that the possibilities are:

-Fake case
-Modified/ground correct case
-Something I have not seen: square crown guards 1675 case by Rolex design.

Agree 100% that much more evidence is required to "prove" the 3rd possibility. But that early in 1675 production it could have been that a couple of case styles might have emerged from the factory.
All the best,
Tom

Last edited by tomvox1 on January 5th, 2012, 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wichai
Wichai

January 5th, 2012, 1:01 am #8

Dear friends,

Best,

Wichai
But I thank you for all your comments, my friends!

I will try to ask the owner whether it's possible to handle it and have another VRF guy in Bkk to take a closer look. If that's the case I will show you better pictures and ask for your comments again.

Best,

Wichai

January 5th, 2012, 1:51 pm #9

...does not really protrude that much further above the CGs on the "chopped" one than the 1st gen 1675 that you show:

It is a bit difficult to judge perspective-wise but it does appear that the tops of both sets of crown guards stop about two thirds of the way up the crown. Which, if the flat ones had really been ground down heavily, I don't think they would--they would be much "stubbier" don't you think and more crown would be protruding? Also, it seems like where the angle of the guard begins its slope is much further back and less severe on the "chopped" one than on the early PG version.

And think of where you would have to grind these very early pointed guards to create this sort of flat surface--much further down at the base of the "pyramid", IMO:

Now it could be that this case has been ground down from the later-style pointed CGs, which are more like shark fins, more rounded, and are also "taller" and cover more of the crown:

(pics from my old 695,k SN 1675)

One could definitely ground this style down while still leaving a reasonable amount of guard remaining.

This is also why I want to see a bigger, better close up of the CG are on this strange case--to get a better idea of how far out the crown protrudes above the CGs. Also photos of the Serial # & Case # would of course be most helpful.
Because right now I feel that the possibilities are:

-Fake case
-Modified/ground correct case
-Something I have not seen: square crown guards 1675 case by Rolex design.

Agree 100% that much more evidence is required to "prove" the 3rd possibility. But that early in 1675 production it could have been that a couple of case styles might have emerged from the factory.
All the best,
Tom
jb

January 5th, 2012, 8:44 pm #10

[/IMG]

but yours seems to be unpolished as well....
Funny but not Rolex factory.