Two questions I hope we can have fun with.

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Two questions I hope we can have fun with.

August 9th, 2012, 6:24 am #1

1. Which Rolexes do you feel are on the way up...and which, in your opinion, are on the way down? Tomorrow's new stars and tomorrow's soon to be has-beens. And which are just treading water...either below their value or at and above their tops?

2. If you could only have three Rolexes and those would be the only watches you could own and wear for the rest of your life (sort of removes the profit motive), what three would you chose...and/or do you have them already?

John Ireland

August 9th, 2012, 7:10 am #2

1)
I like this Topic!

I believe they're on their way up all the transitional references : 16660(Matt) 16760(no date) 16800(matt) 16808

While i believe are a little overprice all those 10K$ Ovettoni and 1803 Smalti.

I also believe the 1803 in normal configuration is "Best buy" in Rolex worlds and 6239 and 6262 should cost more than 6263 and 6265

2)

If i could have only 3 watches , i believe with these 3 that i already have i could be fine.
If i'm lucky in life i might upgrade or add but with a steel 16520 a gold 16528 and a vintage 6262......i'm happy and fine.

August 9th, 2012, 8:24 am #3

1. Which Rolexes do you feel are on the way up...and which, in your opinion, are on the way down? Tomorrow's new stars and tomorrow's soon to be has-beens. And which are just treading water...either below their value or at and above their tops?

2. If you could only have three Rolexes and those would be the only watches you could own and wear for the rest of your life (sort of removes the profit motive), what three would you chose...and/or do you have them already?

John Ireland
1. I am with G that the matte transitions trending up simply because as years pass, they become "more vintage". Of course I am bias because 16760 no date is on his list . The group that could be trending down is "the box and papers". Like most issues, it lingers at the back of your mind several years hence and that affects people's perception of value. The super special milsub, comex and the likes have no reference points and there will always be somebody sufficiently endowed to pick one up.

2. My choices would be a 6542 gmt, gilt 1016 and red sub (don't care meter first, feet first or hand first). I know these are not exceptionally rare but I would happily rotate the three. Why? Because they would cover my spectrum of activities and occasions; travels, formal and outdoors.

August 9th, 2012, 9:09 am #4

John Ireland
1. On the way up - Anything with a good condition gilt dial (5513, 1675,1016) because many of the gilt dials have been replaced over time with service dials. I also agree that the 16660 or the 16600 will be good buys as they might be superseded by another one in the future. Also, anything vintage with a dial that has been out of production for many years. For instance, even a simple airking with an old index dial with original hands. They are cheap buys. Of course, I think the 6265/6263 will always be desirable, along with the milsubs.
On the way down - Not sure. Any Cellini.

2. If I would chose only three rolexes, I would probably go with a simple 5513 (gilt or matt), 6265 and 1675 (gilt with small got hand).

August 9th, 2012, 10:35 am #5

John Ireland
Considering the ever increasing price of new models I think the basic vintage sports models are very fairly priced at the moment and should attract new customers.

The top end pieces such as Comex, PN's and MilSubs have reached their zenith (I hope).
Considering how far they have progressed in the past 10 years is astounding..

3 watches that would make me eternally smile would be an early Red Submariner, an MK2 or earlier DRSD and a MilSub.

Cheers
Pete

August 9th, 2012, 3:28 pm #6

John Ireland
I like this fun topic nevertheless. Not sure we are going to get the "real" market players commenting on this though...

I think 16610LV Mk 1, matte 16800 and matte 1675 will have potential as its still priced within reach for the masses. Judging from perpetual increase in RRP in ADs this will support the prices.

PNs, Double Reds, Single Reds may have been the passe as most of them are still way off from 2008 peak

My 3 musketeers would be a 1675 PCG, a 1675 Mk 1 Matte and a 5513 CR (great condition specimens)

August 9th, 2012, 3:42 pm #7

John Ireland
First of all I have to say that I have witnessed over the years a direct correlation to watch process and the stock market/economy, and see these as a leading and not a lagging indicator of market trends. I recall in 2008 5513s and matte dial 1675's selling for $3.5K, red subs going for $5K, and gilt 1675 commanding not much more of a premium then...

I do think that any watch, Rolex included (but other than a very rare complication Patek) that goes for over $200,000 is overpriced, no matter its rarity or provenance.

My three would be really only two, if I could have them: a three-color white dial PN chronograph, and a 6542 in 'knock your socks off' stellar condition. Everything else is a distant third with these two in the ring.

Great question...

Ron

Giuseppe
Giuseppe

August 9th, 2012, 8:49 pm #8

John Ireland
John, say yours.

August 10th, 2012, 4:50 pm #9

But at the center is my favorite 1013. My second favorite is my 1018...with an astrik below. My third is my black dialed 1013 that I sold and now wish I could find and get back. And if I got that back and fate put a nice 5508 in front of me, I might let the 1018 go. I have come to the conclusion that it is good to have at least one steel watch for those times that gold just doesn't seem logical.

Still my favorite...1013.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

The 1018 that is currently getting about 70% of my wrist time.* But would I sell this and replace it with a 5508?

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

The black dialed 1013 that I let get away and would love to find again.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

John Ireland