Tudor Snowflake advice

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Tudor Snowflake advice

June 16th, 2012, 8:58 pm #1

I don't know enough about these to be 100% confident so would like to ask the advice of the experts.

It comes from it's original purchaser, with papers but no box.

I'd just like to be sure that the numbers add up, it has the correct bracelet etc. and a general impression of the watch.

If it's OK to discuss values then that too.

Many thanks.

Cheers
Dom

June 16th, 2012, 9:27 pm #2

to the numbers on the watch for starters

June 16th, 2012, 9:53 pm #3

I wondered about that!

Watch without box or papers in that case!

Cheers
Dom

June 16th, 2012, 10:48 pm #4

I don't know enough about these to be 100% confident so would like to ask the advice of the experts.

I'd just like to be sure that the numbers add up, it has the correct bracelet etc. and a general impression of the watch.

Many thanks.

Cheers
Dom
..and have seen a number of Rolex watches with hand written papers from the 1970s and early 1980s - I'm sure Jason would have seen more. It was common-place for larger Authorised Dealers in England (Mappin & Webb being one of those) to hand write Guarantees. The unfortunate thing for such Dealers (and now collectors), is that it was just a job for some, not a vocation, to purvey the items we now cherish. Therefore, mistakes on paperwork occured - and an excited customer left the shop with their new pride and joy none the wiser - 'it happened to me'. I left the shop staring at my wrist, not the paperwork - along the lines of 'you don't look at the mantlepiece, when you're stoking the fire'.
On the negative side, if you venture along Burlington Arcade and attempt to sell/exchange a Rolex/Tudor from this period (as I have done), a drawer of the desk will be ripped open and all sorts of Rolex/Tudor papers will be exposed - and as I was told - 'there was loads o' this ffloatin' about

June 16th, 2012, 10:55 pm #5

... in the eighties' - at which point, your watch is deemed to be without papers!

June 16th, 2012, 11:32 pm #6

Many thanks.

Cheers
Dom
...it looks very much like mine with same fade and similar patina. Light mismatch on hands -v- dial, hands may have been changed (or simply faded differently) . I have a little more visible corrosion on my hands

That is an earlier 94110. White date wheel versus silver, right?

Looks the crown was upgraded to the later style triplock (O-Ring visible when you unscrew the crown?)

Engraving looks good. From what I see watch looks good.

Any movement or inside caseback shots?

June 17th, 2012, 3:43 am #7

Many thanks.

Cheers
Dom
unless you are specifically looking for absolute completeness - they're not worth much of a premium anyway. But to find a watch with a fat bevel-icious case , beautiful matching dial and hands, and faded bezel like that is a nice find. If I was looking for a nice one with the perfect all round look I would be very happy to find that watch.

Steve

June 17th, 2012, 7:30 am #8

Many thanks.

Cheers
Dom
It's not unusual to see these watches with written papers, but as Steve has stated they don't add a massive premium anyway. I'm confident a lot of these watches did come with hand-written papers from the AD. A friend recently bought a very desirable Tudor at auction as watch only. The seller then found the box set and sent it to the auction house and tucked away under the slash card was a set of papers!!! They were hand written.

As far as this watch goes, it's in great condition and the insert is fab!

Ross

www.tudorcollector.com

June 17th, 2012, 7:46 am #9

Many thanks.

Cheers
Dom
M8 nice looking machine

June 17th, 2012, 2:41 pm #10

unless you are specifically looking for absolute completeness - they're not worth much of a premium anyway. But to find a watch with a fat bevel-icious case , beautiful matching dial and hands, and faded bezel like that is a nice find. If I was looking for a nice one with the perfect all round look I would be very happy to find that watch.

Steve
What he said - I keep coming back to these photos and see the older but much lower miles version of what I have. This watch is great in so many ways.

How much are they asking? If the price is agreeable, run, don't walk, and pick her up.