Truly baffled by claim made by "expert" dealer

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Truly baffled by claim made by "expert" dealer

June 13th, 2012, 5:58 am #1

Is it really a basic knowledge that should be known by collectors that in early subs the right lug is ALWAYS skinnier than left lug?

maybe it is true for early subs sold to asia. I should learn more. Hmmmm....

June 13th, 2012, 6:22 am #2

And I have unpolished cases to prove it.

Often the lower right lug, and upper left lug are thinner. Due to the machining process, or machining tools used. As a result, the left crown guard is also thinner that the right one. Not due to polishing , as I have seen claimed.

So says the non expert collector. LOL..

Best...MC
Last edited by munchiew on June 13th, 2012, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 13th, 2012, 6:33 am #3

Is it really a basic knowledge that should be known by collectors that in early subs the right lug is ALWAYS skinnier than left lug?

heres the problem ....

1.we see regularly unpolished cases that are not asymetric..they are full and even ....

2. some cases MAY be asymetric and unpolished....

3. some case were even ..polished lightly (even at AD's before sale) ..and are now asymetric...

4. some cases are quite polsihed and presented as asymetical and unpolished ...but thats just another story.....

so the problem ....how do you really really know between 2 and 3 .......

it is the most basic knowledge that all dealers should know that not all cases are asymetric....at best some MAY be....
Last edited by jedly1 on June 13th, 2012, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 13th, 2012, 7:05 am #4

To me a case being asymmetric or not is not a biggie. As long as the case has no corrosion and not overly polished then I can accept. But to be told by a dealer that this is a basic knowledge that a collector must know is something else.

Cheers
Paul

June 13th, 2012, 9:26 am #5

+ 1 !!

cheers from Italy

bigacorn
bigacorn

June 13th, 2012, 9:31 am #6

heres the problem ....

1.we see regularly unpolished cases that are not asymetric..they are full and even ....

3. some case were even ..polished lightly (even at AD's before sale) ..and are now asymetric...

4. some cases are quite polsihed and presented as asymetical and unpolished ...but thats just another story.....

it is the most basic knowledge that all dealers should know that not all cases are asymetric....at best some MAY be....
I've seen many cases which have been polished but claimed to be virgin by dealers and collectors alike. The usual "tells" like rounded lug holes etc are only applicable if the work is done by a run-of-the-mill technician.

Having said that, I have seen those asymmetric cases too maybe 20% of the time

June 13th, 2012, 11:11 am #7

but to claim that it is purposely asymmetrical in early sub is absurd imo. Its like saying redsub mk1 has long f, you are supposed to know that. But early sub supposed to have right lug thicker than left lug of the factory, thats a basic knowledege???

i just dont like that kind of response to defend his piece

June 13th, 2012, 11:57 am #8

heres the problem ....

in your experience when the case is more likely to be asymetric from new, if any .

regards

John
Last edited by fatboyharris on June 14th, 2012, 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 13th, 2012, 1:17 pm #9

but to claim that it is purposely asymmetrical in early sub is absurd imo. Its like saying redsub mk1 has long f, you are supposed to know that. But early sub supposed to have right lug thicker than left lug of the factory, thats a basic knowledege???

i just dont like that kind of response to defend his piece
+1

June 13th, 2012, 3:00 pm #10

in your experience when the case is more likely to be asymetric from new, if any .

regards

John
Here's one, John..5513. 1.4 mil, CB stamped 1 66. I believe this watch has not been subject to a polishing wheel.

You can see that the Lower Right lug is thinner that the Lower Left. Note the image is a back view, so the lugs are inverted vis right/left and upper/lower.

Here below, you can see that the left crown guard is thinner than the right one, as would be expected, if the curvature of the case side is to remain the same on both sides of the crown.

The difference is not large, but noticeable. For the above example, the lower left lug at the lug tip is 3mm wide, while the right lug is 2.5mm.

Another, a 1680 2.9 mil, CB stamped 111 71. Here the left guard is thicker than the right one; opposite of the above !

Not life threateninng discrepancies, and of no particular importance, but nevertheless interesting to anal collectors like me! LOL