Too many experts and not enough open minds....

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Too many experts and not enough open minds....

February 10th, 2012, 6:42 pm #1

Attached below is the exact same dial as on the GMT 6542 found in Texas.

The only difference is the dot at the 6 oclock marker.

Both watches have the 3m serial number and date code 11 1958.

Lets say that the exclamation is seen only after 1960, so can we conclude that one was made pre 1960 and one after 1960. What is the big deal about that? Both original.

Another thought must be that at a early Rolex service, there may have been a dial change?

My thoughts are that the watch is 100 percent original and untouched. But then I would say that as it is my watch.

Best K

February 10th, 2012, 7:43 pm #2

and yet to be proven. Many a post have been debated as to way some dials do and do not have them. I still do not see any conclusive data stating that any watch dial prior to 1960 should in no way have an exclamation dot at the 6 o'clock. It is overly presumptions to proclaim so.

I believe your watch is correct..But what to I know, to many new experts nowadays...LOL..

Good to see you back K, Arthur

Some more plactic to add to your post..

One more same identical dial deal..one with no dot the other with one..The so called experts could have not explained this one as well..lol..

Last edited by VintageRolexForum on February 10th, 2012, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 10th, 2012, 7:59 pm #3

I would not say its BS but one needs to think before one speaks.

Its a great watch and I am happy, thats all that matters.

Best,
K

February 10th, 2012, 8:11 pm #4

K you have been in this game a long time..You know what is correct and not so correct by many years of experance. And you have schooled many over the years..
So as you said, it is a clean and correct watch..And anyone would be happy to own that watch, after all you always get best watches time after time..

Arthur

Last edited by VintageRolexForum on February 10th, 2012, 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fumanku
VRF Member
fumanku
VRF Member

February 10th, 2012, 8:53 pm #5

PS You know I love you Arthur...but couldn't resist.

Last edited by fumanku on February 10th, 2012, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 10th, 2012, 8:57 pm #6

and yet to be proven. Many a post have been debated as to way some dials do and do not have them. I still do not see any conclusive data stating that any watch dial prior to 1960 should in no way have an exclamation dot at the 6 o'clock. It is overly presumptions to proclaim so.

I believe your watch is correct..But what to I know, to many new experts nowadays...LOL..

One more same identical dial deal..one with no dot the other with one..The so called experts could have not explained this one as well..lol..

They have been on 6542 and 5508 !!!! Nice watch not nos as I believe what Eric said earlier !!!!!!!!
Watches look all original and are very nice.
Good to see you Arthur A... L......
Jim

February 10th, 2012, 9:05 pm #7

PS You know I love you Arthur...but couldn't resist.

Bro we can catch up in Florida..

Last edited by VintageRolexForum on February 10th, 2012, 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 10th, 2012, 9:30 pm #8

For me there is still a mystery about the underlines and exclamation marks.

And for myself i always feel less comfortable about Big Crowns with underlines i have seen with early serial.. and i don't feel '58 as to be the normal range of exclamation dot.

But i have also seen watches with later dial in earlier watches.. which seem to have been delivered at later dates.

I feel the late '50th and early '60th have quite some mix and match also at Rolex factory.
Still a lot to be discovered.

One thing we know for sure... we don't know for sure.

Have a good weekend to all.

And Eric.... FUNNY LOOL touché

February 10th, 2012, 9:57 pm #9

Attached below is the exact same dial as on the GMT 6542 found in Texas.

The only difference is the dot at the 6 oclock marker.

Both watches have the 3m serial number and date code 11 1958.

Lets say that the exclamation is seen only after 1960, so can we conclude that one was made pre 1960 and one after 1960. What is the big deal about that? Both original.

Another thought must be that at a early Rolex service, there may have been a dial change?

My thoughts are that the watch is 100 percent original and untouched. But then I would say that as it is my watch.

Best K

...we have definitely seen 5508s (which was produced until 62 so maybe not as significant) and 6542 with Ex Point. It could be that Christie's had the right idea and all these dials have something to do with the Strontium 90 scare:

http://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_ ... ID=5367839

Pertinent passage:

In fact, scholars assume that the first batch of references 6542 created an issue with the US Atomic Energy Commission which contended the level of radiation coming off this model. Consequently, a recall of these watches concerned was launched and, upon rectifying the issue, the dials were marked with a small dot below the six o'clock marker, jointly resembling an exclamation mark. Watches produced after this matter was revealed were either fitted with an "underline" or, as for all future generations, with the "Swiss T-25" indicating that tritium was used, visibly reassuring consumers that any health risk was banned. (emphasis mine)

Obviously, it might also be a complete Urban Legend. But it does kind of dovetail nicely with these no-Crown Guards late-50s models popping up with the Ex Point, which we more normally only see on later 61-62 models.
Maybe they are service dials? Or maybe marks applied at service to distinguish their acceptable radioactivity after a recall (at least on these non-Crown Guards dials)? Maybe market specific for import purposes (i.e. North American market) and a direct antecedent to the Underline? Or maybe just a stylistic trend at the time?

Would have loved to have seen this original thread...
Best,
T.

P.S. One thing I do know is that when you see an Underline and an Ex Point, then you've really got something:

(Photo from the Archive by Terence Ho)

February 10th, 2012, 9:58 pm #10

They have been on 6542 and 5508 !!!! Nice watch not nos as I believe what Eric said earlier !!!!!!!!
Watches look all original and are very nice.
Good to see you Arthur A... L......
Jim
nt