to be blunt ...i need to vent and have a rant....

Vintage Rolex Discussion

to be blunt ...i need to vent and have a rant....

September 6th, 2011, 1:48 am #1

and this is not directed at anyone in particular.

I have had a couple weeks mostly 'off duty' away from moderating the VRM, largely because the last last little outburst about how we weren't doing it well enough, or to some peoples liking, left me at the point of being ready to kill someone - and being honest after putting in two/three hours a day unpaid work just getting it close to the standard we currently work to, I think a few people around here have got a bloody nerve to bitch the way they do, especially when it seems half of them haven't got a clue about the subject at hand. I genuinely wonder if some of it isn't a form of stirred up passive attack to harm this community.

The SC is a free market place, in a free society , it is run like a market place ....people lay out their stalls...the way they want within the basic rules and spirit of the forum...if you don't like the look of their stall move on to the next vendor ...simple...it really, really isn't rocket science!

Having said that, In those couple of weeks I am aware the other MODS have been trying hard to tighten things up a little, asking for fair and reasonable descriptions, particularly noting the previously raised concerns of less experienced members, asking for those who put little information in their ads to put a bit more, asking those who put a little too much flannel in to do a little less, in doing so they have, as they have always been, tried to be polite, tried to be friendly and to request a little bit of effort on the part of vendors.....and are largely being ignored. When they step in to be a little more forthright then again people are bitching, saying they are picking on vendors...they are not, they are trying to do what you the membership asked for !!...as usual everyone thinks they can do it better.

The simple fact of the matter is that not everyone can and will be happy with the way it is done WHICHEVER way it is done ...but at the moment it is a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.....I would strongly suggest that if you want to see the VRM stay the vibrant and active place it is then you accept it for what it is ...by comparison one of the safest and honest places to buy vintage Rolex....no it isn't perfect, no it doesn't offer a full 100% guarantee, yes the odd thing slips through, or the odd turd gets sold as a peach, that is life....if that doesn't work for you then there are plenty of AD's selling perfectly good modern Rolex that anyone can walk in and buy with 100% total peace of mind.
Last edited by jedly1 on September 6th, 2011, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 6th, 2011, 1:58 am #2

my only real problem is some sellers with useless descriptions dont respond at all when asked questions or more difficult questions but obviously there is no way of the mods knowing that but i only gripe at that because there are great sellers here who are honest are open. All of a sudden theres a superflous opinion about it.. not a fact..trying to insinuate a seller is misprereniting the watch, when a brief essay has been written to describe it

September 6th, 2011, 2:25 am #3

I have had a couple weeks mostly 'off duty' away from moderating the VRM, largely because the last last little outburst about how we weren't doing it well enough, or to some peoples liking, left me at the point of being ready to kill someone - and being honest after putting in two/three hours a day unpaid work just getting it close to the standard we currently work to, I think a few people around here have got a bloody nerve to bitch the way they do, especially when it seems half of them haven't got a clue about the subject at hand. I genuinely wonder if some of it isn't a form of stirred up passive attack to harm this community.

The SC is a free market place, in a free society , it is run like a market place ....people lay out their stalls...the way they want within the basic rules and spirit of the forum...if you don't like the look of their stall move on to the next vendor ...simple...it really, really isn't rocket science!

Having said that, In those couple of weeks I am aware the other MODS have been trying hard to tighten things up a little, asking for fair and reasonable descriptions, particularly noting the previously raised concerns of less experienced members, asking for those who put little information in their ads to put a bit more, asking those who put a little too much flannel in to do a little less, in doing so they have, as they have always been, tried to be polite, tried to be friendly and to request a little bit of effort on the part of vendors.....and are largely being ignored. When they step in to be a little more forthright then again people are bitching, saying they are picking on vendors...they are not, they are trying to do what you the membership asked for !!...as usual everyone thinks they can do it better.

The simple fact of the matter is that not everyone can and will be happy with the way it is done WHICHEVER way it is done ...but at the moment it is a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.....I would strongly suggest that if you want to see the VRM stay the vibrant and active place it is then you accept it for what it is ...by comparison one of the safest and honest places to buy vintage Rolex....no it isn't perfect, no it doesn't offer a full 100% guarantee, yes the odd thing slips through, or the odd turd gets sold as a peach, that is life....if that doesn't work for you then there are plenty of AD's selling perfectly good modern Rolex that anyone can walk in and buy with 100% total peace of mind.
a little paranoia is sometimes a good and healthy thing... I, too, wondered why this forum was being sabotaged ...

maybe we'll never know what the end-game was supposed to be... but I daresay that there was a negative purpose.

Hopefully the IPs have been shut out and you won't have to put up with any more of the nonsense!

I know I speak for an awful lot of people when I say we truly do appreciate your time, effort, energy and good sense when it comes to maintaining this forum!

Thanks, Rita
Last edited by jedly1 on September 6th, 2011, 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 6th, 2011, 2:44 am #4

...you earn your place in the community and respect the way things are done in that place if you want to be a member. You most certainly do not come right in and start bitching and moaning as a white belt. And you don't give any back talk to the Senseis when they ask you to do something either.
Hang in there and with appreciation for all your hard work,
Tom

September 6th, 2011, 2:59 am #5

I've often wondered why the seller's pictures do not match the quality of the main forum?

If I were ever to have something nice for sale I'd have close up angled shots from every direction showing everything a buyer would possibly want and need to see to sell that watch.

If someone puts crappy or no pictures up then their description is surely irrelevant, and as you rightly point out, don't moan about it just move on to the next stall.

Buyer beware!

September 6th, 2011, 3:09 am #6

this isn't a democracy, If people to do not like it ... well, go play in another sand pit....
I dont get fired up often, but I have seen the effort that you (and I dare safe the other mods as well) put in to keep this special place "safe"...
...doing thinks from checking people/emails to get rid of annoying scammer to keeping a vigilant eye on the going on of different seller to maintain a standard....... all this for the love of the the place and in large for ALL our benefits.... and the best bit...

you guys do this for not one feffing peso....

at the end of the day, to post of VRF SC is a priviege and not a right... God knows that plenty of seller have made money out of this place and these sellers should be greatful for the buyers this place attracts due in no small part to the standards that Richard and the Mod team set(and maintain) and the great work you guys do "behind the scenes".. so if people are not happy with the way it is,don't complain just go play in another sandpit...
I know i am and hence Im staying....

Cheers from Melbourne....
Mark

September 6th, 2011, 4:11 am #7

Thanks for your time and efforts Jed, and all Mods! <nt>

September 6th, 2011, 4:14 am #8

my only real problem is some sellers with useless descriptions dont respond at all when asked questions or more difficult questions but obviously there is no way of the mods knowing that but i only gripe at that because there are great sellers here who are honest are open. All of a sudden theres a superflous opinion about it.. not a fact..trying to insinuate a seller is misprereniting the watch, when a brief essay has been written to describe it
you'll have to excuse me i'm in blunt mood today,if you can't tell that dial is F**ked then that's half the problem, Roger can, I can, 90% of the membership can and i'm pretty sure that the seller who i consider a friend can, let's be frank he isn't going to list it for sale and start by saying this is a knackered dial that is blistering and has had moisture ingress...that isn't his job, his job is to present it in the most 'glass half full' way possible and SELL it to you ...he is not actually deceiving anyone as he's put up a 20inch clear picture of it for anyone to see, and he is pricing it fairly for what it is. (and i'm sorry mate this rant isn't about you, or your piece in question). Some people will enjoy it, some will enjoy the price point - it has been discussed before that people collect at very different levels...

BUT .....ordinarily the mod team wouldn't involve themselves, we would trust people to be able to use their own eyes, read the description of 75% condition and place the quality in the correct box, apparently though as people have voiced their fears about vendors taking advantage of new buyers, and have made accusations of favouritism for long standing dealer members we have made a point of asking ALL people to try and be a bit more restrained in their sales pitch that's it, if they take no notice they will, it appears, get called out....so in the first couple of times actually doing this now the MODS are just being mean.???...

damned if you do....damned if you don't.
Last edited by jedly1 on September 6th, 2011, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 6th, 2011, 4:37 am #9

If someone has a problem on being one of the best vintage Rolex resource sites without having to pay membership fees or jump through referral checks.....then perhaps they should be more realistic about life......
If these people expect the VRF moderators to have to police all the "Want To Buy" ads making sure all the watches or parts are listed objectively correct........then perhaps they should also ask their mothers to start changing their diapers too!
We are all grown ups here and somehow we've survived this crazy world this long with all the dangers and evils.....so why should any other place including VRF be an exception?
Were you expecting to be spoon fed here?
Just like the real world, do your due diligence and deal with people who you feel comfortable with......
if they don't respond to you, then don't deal with them.....
if you don't like their service, then don't deal with them........
If you don't like their pictures and they don't provide better ones......then don't deal with them.......................
If you don't like their return policy, then don't deal with them.......
Why are you placing responsibility on the moderators who aren't even paid just so you can have a site based upon your unrealistic expectations???
Come on now, wake up and smell the coffee......... let's be realistic!!!!

September 6th, 2011, 4:48 am #10

I've often wondered why the seller's pictures do not match the quality of the main forum?

If I were ever to have something nice for sale I'd have close up angled shots from every direction showing everything a buyer would possibly want and need to see to sell that watch.

If someone puts crappy or no pictures up then their description is surely irrelevant, and as you rightly point out, don't moan about it just move on to the next stall.

Buyer beware!
Photos, photos, photos !

There is no such thing as seeing. No matter how risk-prone and passionate I am, I find it hard to buy a watch that has poor photos. It ends up in back and forth emails asking for more photos and more descriptions. At best you get all the info, at worse, the seller thinks you are pure pain.

A few sellers on VRF take good complete photo sets (no need to give names . I think it pays well for them (I look at the photos, ask 3-4 questions in single email and we are done)

Instead of using excessive words to draw buyers, I would suggest that sellers (especially the pro ones) make the effort to take good pictures (good light, macro mode)
It is honestly not difficult nor expensive nor time consuming, you can do it !

Then it is possible to spend big bucks with confidence on something you don't actually see .. Crazy but now possible thanks to the Internet magic that has changed our hobby so much

And indeed, many thanks to the Mods of VRF. You are right to remind some gentlemen rules which is one key point of this hobby.