The marvelous world of hands :-)

Vintage Rolex Discussion

The marvelous world of hands :-)

December 15th, 2011, 10:38 am #1

I always found somehow funny how people pay so much attention to the end links fitted on their bracelet (honestly one of my least concern) but give up completely the "hand" aspect on their watches (much more important imo because this is the first thing you notice looking at a watch... like the nose on a women's face)
Yes IMHO having correct (or decent) hands on a watch is far more important than having the correct end links as long as they fit correctly.
How many 6538 that we call "beauties" are wrong because of a face disfigured by a wrong set. (precision I dont preach for my parish as I dont have anymore hands to sell).

Now give it a try what goes where

December 15th, 2011, 2:15 pm #2

I personally find this all fascinating.

Imagine sitting in on the hand design sessions.

"Let's change the tips, maybe the waists, and the lume thickness but
do it in a way almost no one will notice."

It kind of explains the mentality behind all the changes on the dials.

"Let's move Submariner from down here to up there. I think feet should
be first, not meters, don't you?"

All kidding aside, there are probably good reasons for the changes.

Wider lume as customers complained of not seeing hands in the dark.
Maybe hands broke off at the waist. Therefore more metal.
Americans saying "Leroy, what's a meter?"

Thanks for the post. One of the more interesting ones in a while.

kingmillo
VRF Member
kingmillo
VRF Member

December 15th, 2011, 2:53 pm #3

if you could please elaborate on which goes to which period, i would really greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by kingmillo on December 15th, 2011, 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 15th, 2011, 9:27 pm #4

/

December 15th, 2011, 10:02 pm #5

it's a subject still unknown to most collectors !

Rigbot
VRF Member
Rigbot
VRF Member

December 16th, 2011, 4:17 am #6

I always found somehow funny how people pay so much attention to the end links fitted on their bracelet (honestly one of my least concern) but give up completely the "hand" aspect on their watches (much more important imo because this is the first thing you notice looking at a watch... like the nose on a women's face)
Yes IMHO having correct (or decent) hands on a watch is far more important than having the correct end links as long as they fit correctly.
How many 6538 that we call "beauties" are wrong because of a face disfigured by a wrong set. (precision I dont preach for my parish as I dont have anymore hands to sell).

Hands are not only nearly as important as a dial or case, but they are more difficult to find and MUCH less understood. Nowhere in this hobby is the dollar to gram ratio so high. Other than the active ingredients in the luminous paint there is very little to prevent fakers from making 6541, 6200 and 5517 hands. I may be giving Rolex too little credit, but as with dials I would attribute a lot of differences in hands to different manufactures or batches as opposed to intentional design changes. I welcome further discussion on hands and have a lot of photos and observations to add.

-Rigby

December 16th, 2011, 9:26 am #7

nt