The horror...

RolexWatchTime
VRF Member

August 10th, 2018, 12:56 am #1

My sort of inherited 5513....it has a service caseback anyway so....I put this on.  Oh well...I like this caseback better!  I like the 1530 with butterfly better too than the replacement. 
DSCN5317.JPG
DSCN5317.JPG
Last edited by RolexWatchTime on August 10th, 2018, 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 10th, 2018, 1:03 am #2

WTF??

August 10th, 2018, 11:34 am #3

Heh.  Most of my non-Rolexes have display backs.  I have not felt tempted to install them on any of the pieces I discuss here - movement decoration was never Rolex's forté!

oldempirellc
VRF Member

August 10th, 2018, 3:27 pm #4

You still have the other case back.   I actually really like combination of colors - SS, brass, yellow, pink, gold, etc.- fun watch!

RolexWatchTime
VRF Member

August 11th, 2018, 5:35 am #5

TorontoSoupKing wrote: Heh.  Most of my non-Rolexes have display backs.  I have not felt tempted to install them on any of the pieces I discuss here - movement decoration was never Rolex's forté!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. :-) 

Actually I think the 1030 is a lovely movement when in excellent shape.  Actually any Rolex movement is lovely when it is in excellent shape. This one isn't cosmetically the most pristine but with a 1530...all the parts are standard.

I can put a set of screws in it anytime and new bridges and it would look new excepting the brassing on the butterfly.  I'd rather have the butterfly and be correct...than the later rotor. 

All of these watches today put display backs that show ETA movements which are far less attractive to a watchmaker :-).  

The idea here is not really the "decoration" but to show how it works.

August 11th, 2018, 11:38 am #6

RolexWatchTime wrote:
Indeed!  I have a display of midcentury mechanical calculators in my living room, bit of a change from the trad candlesticks etc.  Thank goodness I don't like cars says my wallet

August 12th, 2018, 12:32 am #7

RolexWatchTime wrote:
TorontoSoupKing wrote: Heh.  Most of my non-Rolexes have display backs.  I have not felt tempted to install them on any of the pieces I discuss here - movement decoration was never Rolex's forté!

Actually I think the 1030 is a lovely movement when in excellent shape.  Actually any Rolex movement is lovely when it is in excellent shape. This one isn't cosmetically the most pristine but with a 1530...all the parts are standard.

I can put a set of screws in it anytime and new bridges and it would look new excepting the brassing on the butterfly.  I'd rather have the butterfly and be correct...than the later rotor. 

All of these watches today put display backs that show ETA movements which are far less attractive to a watchmaker :-).  

The idea here is not really the "decoration" but to show how it works.
Hi Tommy

You mean 1530 not 10130- I assume

Did the early 5513 ( with a 1530 ) have butterfly rotors .

Do you know when they moved to the solid rotor?

Julian

RolexWatchTime
VRF Member

August 12th, 2018, 1:42 am #8

No I actually meant the 1030.  1530..not as much :-) It got a bit industrial.  I still like it and it's all the 15xx movements are a dream to work on.  You learn to not like the others.  

Well no one seems to be able to tell us when the rotor changed.

This watch is from 1964.  

There was a LONG discussion about the 1560 many years back.  Arthur maintained that 1560's never came with the later rotor.  

The 1530 was made right along side that and was replaced with 1520 about the same time as the 1570 came along.  

Who knows...you'd have to have one that Rolex never serviced...that was a kind of barn find.  Rolex changed the rotors out rather than rotor axles most likely.

I dunno.  I'm open to suggestions for sure.

:-) It's a better looking rotor.  They just tended to crack more I think.  Even the more solid rotors crack like crazy.  I have a tin full of broken ones.

People are horrible on watches really :-) 

RolexWatchTime
VRF Member

August 12th, 2018, 1:46 am #9

TorontoSoupKing wrote:
RolexWatchTime wrote:
Indeed!  I have a display of midcentury mechanical calculators in my living room, bit of a change from the trad candlesticks etc.  Thank goodness I don't like cars says my wallet
You mean what we call adding machines?  Isn't it simply amazing how they work?  I mean I love this stuff.  Have you ever seen the insides of late 50's juke box...digital is easy...you just tell the computer to make something that works...this is REAL engineering.

August 12th, 2018, 12:58 pm #10

RolexWatchTime wrote:

You mean what we call adding machines?  Isn't it simply amazing how they work?  I mean I love this stuff.  Have you ever seen the insides of late 50's juke box...digital is easy...you just tell the computer to make something that works...this is REAL engineering.
Yep!  https://curta.org/phpBB2/ is a quiet BB where some enthusiasts hang out.  Also see curta.li for a ton of pics from Murff, our top collector and really nice guy