The Daytona waiting list is BS

Vintage Rolex Discussion

The Daytona waiting list is BS

March 12th, 2012, 6:29 pm #1

I asked a year ago at several ADs in Uk how long to get a Daytona White dial - they all laughed n said 7 years if I'm lucky!
Ok so I retire that thought - a year passes by I still want one only from Rolex AD brand new at list price - I'm now working in Switzerland so today I ring up firstly Uk Ernst Jones Oxford St London AD same old story except oh now you can't even get on a list try calling again in 3-5 years time sir but in all honesty you won't get one wtf! So I ring up Swiss AD here and ask "I would like to buy a White dial 116520 Daytona do you have one?" " no sir but we may next week can you call back on Monday we can't put your name for it now but please me call Monday!" Whaaaaaaaaaaat I nearly dropped the phone.... It gets better.... I then ring another Swiss AD " do you have a White dial 116520 Daytona I want to buy one" " yes sir I have one I could hold it for you if your far from me" ....... Bang phone goes down jacket on leave work 3:30 I'm at AD 3:49.
2nd fone call to Swiss AD and I'm now wearing my stunning White dial SS Rolex AD Daytona bought at list price - happy days WHooooooooooooooooooooo easy getting a Daytona SS no problem at all lol

Ps- If anyone wants one I can check Monday for you and also a third Swiss AD took my name and said 2months max we will call you when it arrives - so 2 SS White dial daytonas incoming if anyone wants to fly to Geneva meet me and pick up your Daytona from Rolex AD then pm me and we can arrange it so you can enjoy also. BS Daytona lists lol

March 12th, 2012, 6:48 pm #2

...and they had both black and white SS Daytonas and a 114270 on display. Naturally the prices run about 20% higher than the US due to luxury taxes but it also speaks to most Chinese not being interested in SS sports watches.

Glad you got your new baby.

Cheers

March 12th, 2012, 6:57 pm #3

i know Rolex are heavily doing more precious metal watches especially in relation to middle east and emerging markets especially China - so are Chinese really into precious metals? Is it seen there more as status symbols as in India and middle east where yellow gold is the only one to have and with many diamonds? This would explain why current Rolex line up is more blingy/tacky rather than the focus being on design and classic beauty of vintage SS watches and ofcourse the timeless beauty of the Daytona. Did you see the Daytona monster they showed at baselworld it even out did the leopard daytona in tackiness but now I understand why.

March 12th, 2012, 7:12 pm #4

I asked a year ago at several ADs in Uk how long to get a Daytona White dial - they all laughed n said 7 years if I'm lucky!
Ok so I retire that thought - a year passes by I still want one only from Rolex AD brand new at list price - I'm now working in Switzerland so today I ring up firstly Uk Ernst Jones Oxford St London AD same old story except oh now you can't even get on a list try calling again in 3-5 years time sir but in all honesty you won't get one wtf! So I ring up Swiss AD here and ask "I would like to buy a White dial 116520 Daytona do you have one?" " no sir but we may next week can you call back on Monday we can't put your name for it now but please me call Monday!" Whaaaaaaaaaaat I nearly dropped the phone.... It gets better.... I then ring another Swiss AD " do you have a White dial 116520 Daytona I want to buy one" " yes sir I have one I could hold it for you if your far from me" ....... Bang phone goes down jacket on leave work 3:30 I'm at AD 3:49.
2nd fone call to Swiss AD and I'm now wearing my stunning White dial SS Rolex AD Daytona bought at list price - happy days WHooooooooooooooooooooo easy getting a Daytona SS no problem at all lol

Ps- If anyone wants one I can check Monday for you and also a third Swiss AD took my name and said 2months max we will call you when it arrives - so 2 SS White dial daytonas incoming if anyone wants to fly to Geneva meet me and pick up your Daytona from Rolex AD then pm me and we can arrange it so you can enjoy also. BS Daytona lists lol
production is up and demand is down because of the price increases.

I bought my first steel Daytona in 1992 for list price £1450.

---Perpetual Knowledge---
-Perpetual Knowledge-

March 12th, 2012, 7:14 pm #5

i know Rolex are heavily doing more precious metal watches especially in relation to middle east and emerging markets especially China - so are Chinese really into precious metals? Is it seen there more as status symbols as in India and middle east where yellow gold is the only one to have and with many diamonds? This would explain why current Rolex line up is more blingy/tacky rather than the focus being on design and classic beauty of vintage SS watches and ofcourse the timeless beauty of the Daytona. Did you see the Daytona monster they showed at baselworld it even out did the leopard daytona in tackiness but now I understand why.
...I have observed that Rolex is not really perceived as "status" but rather as common nouveau riche watches (something an up and coming "rich peasant" would own) and the more trendy, "in-the-know" buyers are crazily after Patek and VC. However, due to strong advertising in recent years, IWC is really gaining ground as are GO, AP, Chopard and Blancpain. Omega is still strong (Constellations!) but a lot of that is due to their long history in the China market as a "high end" brand.

Chinese are very into the precious metals but they also strongly prefer mechanical over quartz.

Interestingly, it seems (unscientific, of course) Mainland Chinese South of the Yangtze Delta region (Zhejiang, Jiangsu, Shanghai) are more into Rolex than North of it. This might be because places like Guangdong and Fujian are in closer proximity to Hong Kong, in which we know that Rolex is still truly the King!

Cheers!

March 12th, 2012, 7:18 pm #6

And weirdly enough, black SS Daytonas are still the Holy Grail of Japanese men between 25-50!

March 12th, 2012, 7:26 pm #7

You still cannot get them if you ring up ADs you will be told same story we have 20 people waiting and we may get two in a year if we are lucky - don't forget more price rises coming when the new sub no date comes out it'll be 4950GBP which will in turn push up all the other sports watch prices and ofcourse the Daytona too - so it'll only keep going up 20 years ago was 1920GBP so that's over 10% per annum - that won't change next year this time they will be 8500GBP plus

March 12th, 2012, 7:59 pm #8

iu already had lost interets by the time i got a call from

Ross Simon - they had 2 all of a sudden but the price mark up that rolex has taken on these makes the watch not even worth buying anymore - i bought my first 16520 in 1992 for 5500, two more in 2002 for 7800+/- that i sold in a day for 10k - i believe now they are over 10k retail now correct?

March 12th, 2012, 10:07 pm #9

I have never seen a new Oyster Perpetual Cosmograph Daytona in an AD's window, and I am a serial window-shopper!

March 12th, 2012, 10:28 pm #10

Daytonas are plentiful with the economic issues in the US. Gone are the days of long waiting lists and 20% markups. Sure ADs try and maintain the allure of a "great deal" by keeping these watches "in the back" but supply has certainly caught up with a very much diminished demand.