The 5510 saga uncovers some interesting issues >>

Vintage Rolex Discussion

The 5510 saga uncovers some interesting issues >>

December 15th, 2010, 5:07 pm #1

Particularly, about how the world has changed.

I would say that years ago, say in the 1940's or 50's, I would bet that most, when first hearing about the 5510 story, would be inclined to believe it, with maybe a few doubters.

Now, the situation has flip-flopped:the cynics and sceptics are many, but can they be blamed? There are so many fakes, scammers, and no-goodniks out there looking for victims the one would be a fool not to have their radar working at full-tilt.

When we hear a story like this, it is heart-warming, but sadly infrequent. Can we ever return to a time when people mostly trust one another again?

Cheers,

Bob

December 15th, 2010, 5:23 pm #2

...and we saw some of both on this watch. I don't understand the motivation to trash this watch and, as Vijay points out, it's owner. Jealousy? Trying to kill the value and buy it cheap? Simple meanness? I just don't get it.

The level of viciousness was off the charts, one poster even went so far as to knowingly post a falsehood about the movement being incorrect. That was caught but the big question remains, why would he do that? His loss of credibility is enormous. What was it about this deal that drove a couple of our Members so crazy?

December 15th, 2010, 5:25 pm #3

You have good points there. Greed is terrible, bad manners too. Now...these two together is plain nasty!

December 15th, 2010, 5:31 pm #4

I would say that years ago, say in the 1940's or 50's, I would bet that most, when first hearing about the 5510 story, would be inclined to believe it, with maybe a few doubters.

Now, the situation has flip-flopped:the cynics and sceptics are many, but can they be blamed? There are so many fakes, scammers, and no-goodniks out there looking for victims the one would be a fool not to have their radar working at full-tilt.

When we hear a story like this, it is heart-warming, but sadly infrequent. Can we ever return to a time when people mostly trust one another again?

Cheers,

Bob
Wholeheartedly agree. However it is a virtual community that we live in here, making it practically impossible to develop the same kind of social confidence as we would in the real world.

This virtual trust is built upon a platform so fragile, all it takes is someone (remember Jason Latif?) with a lesser mind who is into this game for personal gain, and exploit others for one's own benefit, then this whole platform would collapse, leaving us all hanging up high and dry.

To quote: VRF Membership is a social designation. It in no way implies the VRF has vetted a seller or approves of a seller. Always use due diligence prior to completing a transaction... or put it another way... you are on your own.

December 15th, 2010, 5:36 pm #5

Cheers,

Bob
vintage watch should stand on it's own merit. Quality of the case, dial, hands, and if any papers are attached to it more love in the room.

But I still do not understand why a story backdrop was so forced onto the scene with this 5510? Maybe a big time celebrity ownership could be mentioned, but the watch should stand on it's own in my opinion.

Not to be a party crasher, but many nicer 5510's have been sold at auction over the years and with not much fanfare.

Just food for thought, Arthur

http://rolexnessreviews.blogspot.com/

December 15th, 2010, 5:59 pm #6

To each his own. Some people like to dream and if I had to choose in
between 2 watches, one perfect and one almost perfect but with full pedigree
and a nice hguman story behind, I would choose the second one with no hesitation.

Collecting is not only about perfection it is also about emotion.

December 15th, 2010, 6:01 pm #7

...and we saw some of both on this watch. I don't understand the motivation to trash this watch and, as Vijay points out, it's owner. Jealousy? Trying to kill the value and buy it cheap? Simple meanness? I just don't get it.

The level of viciousness was off the charts, one poster even went so far as to knowingly post a falsehood about the movement being incorrect. That was caught but the big question remains, why would he do that? His loss of credibility is enormous. What was it about this deal that drove a couple of our Members so crazy?

quite frankly, there were people screaming from the rooftops that the watch was worth $80k. where were they when the hammer came down? nowhere close as we can see.
looking at the dial from Bob's (Ridleys) pictures I was surprised to see it was pristine, and the crystal was what was causing the dial to look bad. the case is another story.
What's at issue is what is "realistic" when looking at that particular watch in it's current condition. this watch was worn, and while it is charming that Bob owned this watch and wore it as a watch should be worn, IMO the money it brought was in the "higher end" ballpark for an end user.
Yes, I can hear the "auction watchers" getting ready to pounce, but we are looking once again at a "two tier" market.
I know all the "big watch" dealers and not one of them would put up that kind of money. Now, had they bought the watch cheap, would they sell it for less...well, your guess is as good as mine! lol

all I am saying is kind of what Bob Gordon is saying and that is we need to have this kind of skepticism, and I agree 100%. For every one of these deals that is correct and true, I can name plenty who have been drawn in by a story and been burned, including me.

as far as purposefully sabotaging, that is just not true. Viper not following up on someone else's investigation and story before posting, yes, that is correct. Bad move on his part, but to say it was on purpose is not fair. this is a guy who has saved many a member from buying fake crap, as we all do who care.
None of us could care less about the story. the watch has to stand on it's own merit. misinformation is not a good thing, but claiming this is an $80k watch just for shit's and giggles when you know not what you speak is not right either.
The market will dictate what something is worth to a particular buyer, as it did here.
To the new owner, many congratulations.

JB

December 15th, 2010, 6:03 pm #8

To each his own. Some people like to dream and if I had to choose in
between 2 watches, one perfect and one almost perfect but with full pedigree
and a nice hguman story behind, I would choose the second one with no hesitation.

Collecting is not only about perfection it is also about emotion.
not wise my friend...

December 15th, 2010, 6:09 pm #9

vintage watch should stand on it's own merit. Quality of the case, dial, hands, and if any papers are attached to it more love in the room.

But I still do not understand why a story backdrop was so forced onto the scene with this 5510? Maybe a big time celebrity ownership could be mentioned, but the watch should stand on it's own in my opinion.

Not to be a party crasher, but many nicer 5510's have been sold at auction over the years and with not much fanfare.

Just food for thought, Arthur

http://rolexnessreviews.blogspot.com/
..just presenting the facts to refute the blatantly egregious falsehood perpetuated by you and few others. You are free to email me and we can discuss this in private.

December 15th, 2010, 6:10 pm #10

not wise my friend...
Last edited by dingomad on December 15th, 2010, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.