Thanks for a great weekend of...

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Thanks for a great weekend of...

February 5th, 2012, 9:10 pm #1

"British Passion"!

(Nice picture Ross!)

A little pre-Passion preview on Friday night for the early arrivals, and Grahame's very cool flag made a great backdrop

Despite the bad weather forecast and a major railway incident, most made it to the spa hotel near Chester in time to get the watches unpacked before lunch...

There was some very special metal coming out of the collection cases, pouches, wallets, and socks(!). Not just Rolexes, but Heuers, 3 fantastic rare Blancpain FF "T-Rs", some nice Patek complications (Steve's wg5036, Roger's 5020R, and Michael's wg5970), a great array of Tudor sports watches, some lovely and varied chronographs, and Dick R's "super selection of many makes"!

Unfortunately I was too absorbed enjoying the watches to take more pictures - my bad!!

After a very welcome, and warming hot buffet lunch, we managed to fit in a few "themed" photographs... those famous milSub shots really deserve a thread all of their own (27 milSubs, whoooo!), but there was nearly a whole family of chronos, a quartet of ever-so slightly different silver dial Milgausses (Milgeese?), and a few blingy-things which dazzled-out my camera!

And of course it was good to see another famous collection of watches from Liverpool once again (thanks HM)!

Unfortunately, as the weather closed in (or was it the rugby match!), a few guests had to make an early departure, but for the rest of us, time to change ready for pre-dinner drinks, and then a nice relaxed three course dinner to reflect back on the watches we had seen in the day.

Three guys "talking tactics"!

A few nice "mug shots"!

Time for a night-cap (or several), before retiring.

Grahame was looking quite relaxed; new watch, mate!?!

I didn't get any Sunday morning shots, but apparently the state of my appearance in the breakfast room means you should think yourselves lucky!! (Ok, I was actually heading to the spa in my robe )

It seemed that Chester had escaped the snow and disruption the rest of the country was suffering, and we exchanged farewells and headed off after a very successful weekend of watch-passion!!

My very grateful thanks to "the Passionista": Ian B; Bernhard; Michael D; Grahame F; John Greenecollector; John fatboyharris; Steve K; Jed; Andrew M; Haywood M; Ray Nicol; Ismat O; Steve Parry; Ross Povey; Dick R; Steve 7s; and Roger, for making the weekend!

My sincere apologies to Tony A, Jason G, and Paul M, you guys missed a great get-together

And, a personal "thank you" to Mrs Ross P for designing the "Brit-Pash" logo and arranging the exclusive mugs for our gathering

Let's see some more pictures guys, post 'em if you got 'em!!

Mike Wood

February 5th, 2012, 9:32 pm #2

So annoyed i couldn't make this....but boy did I try!!!!

Text Jed at 3pm before I headed off to make sure weather was still all ok as snow had been forecast.

All good there.

Was feeling great and nice and sunny in Nottingham so off I went.

After about 50 miles I started to feel really ill....my stomach was in agony - wife and kids had a stomach virus during the week so I guessed what it would be...

And then it all went wrong!

Snow came down very fast and started lying on the roads very quickly, within 20 mins the motorways were a 6" deep and treacherous. My BMW was uncontrollable at 10 mph! That's 4.5l V8 rear wheel drive cars for you with sports tyres in snow!!!

I pulled over to a lay-by resigned to fact it was too dangerous to go on.

Got out the car and was violently sick! For about 10 minutes.....

Rang my wife and told her I was in trouble but would ring the breakdown service to see if could get me back.

Rang them - on hold for over an hour...got cut off 3 times....country (as usual in the UK when it snows a bit!)had fallen into chaos.

Rang wife back told her she would have to come and get me.

Took her 2.5hrs to get 50 miles to me - saw 7 big pile up crashes on the way, cars stranded everywhere, motorways closing here there and everywhere.

Finally got to me at 7pm. She was so scared I had to drive home - 20mph all the way, and while being sick!

Took us 4 hours to do the 40 or so miles home.

Could have been worse - over 100 cars stranded on same road I was on and 200 people had to sleep on a pub floor overnight!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st ... e-16894011

2 miles from my home we saw an Ambulance upside down on its roof in a ditch.....I just hope it was on its way to see someone and not on its way back

This is my only picture of the get together......

5.10pm on a Saturday night on the main connecting road between the UK's two longest motorways....I hadn't seen a car in 20 minutes!!!

Looks like you all had a great time and some very cool watches to play with!! Very disappointed...

I'LL BE BACK!!!

IanB did call in to my house on his way home today though to pick up his latest acquisition...so we had a mini watch meet in my kitchen! Not quite the same I'm sure but fun nonetheless....

PS If anyone is on the A50 from Uttoxeter to Stoke please check if there is a 5 series in a lay-by or if its now on bricks...

Last edited by 964RS on February 5th, 2012, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 5th, 2012, 9:37 pm #3

"British Passion"!

(Nice picture Ross!)

A little pre-Passion preview on Friday night for the early arrivals, and Grahame's very cool flag made a great backdrop

Despite the bad weather forecast and a major railway incident, most made it to the spa hotel near Chester in time to get the watches unpacked before lunch...

There was some very special metal coming out of the collection cases, pouches, wallets, and socks(!). Not just Rolexes, but Heuers, 3 fantastic rare Blancpain FF "T-Rs", some nice Patek complications (Steve's wg5036, Roger's 5020R, and Michael's wg5970), a great array of Tudor sports watches, some lovely and varied chronographs, and Dick R's "super selection of many makes"!

Unfortunately I was too absorbed enjoying the watches to take more pictures - my bad!!

After a very welcome, and warming hot buffet lunch, we managed to fit in a few "themed" photographs... those famous milSub shots really deserve a thread all of their own (27 milSubs, whoooo!), but there was nearly a whole family of chronos, a quartet of ever-so slightly different silver dial Milgausses (Milgeese?), and a few blingy-things which dazzled-out my camera!

And of course it was good to see another famous collection of watches from Liverpool once again (thanks HM)!

Unfortunately, as the weather closed in (or was it the rugby match!), a few guests had to make an early departure, but for the rest of us, time to change ready for pre-dinner drinks, and then a nice relaxed three course dinner to reflect back on the watches we had seen in the day.

A few nice "mug shots"!

I didn't get any Sunday morning shots, but apparently the state of my appearance in the breakfast room means you should think yourselves lucky!! (Ok, I was actually heading to the spa in my robe )

It seemed that Chester had escaped the snow and disruption the rest of the country was suffering, and we exchanged farewells and headed off after a very successful weekend of watch-passion!!

My very grateful thanks to "the Passionista": Ian B; Bernhard; Michael D; Grahame F; John Greenecollector; John fatboyharris; Steve K; Jed; Andrew M; Haywood M; Ray Nicol; Ismat O; Steve Parry; Ross Povey; Dick R; Steve 7s; and Roger, for making the weekend!

My sincere apologies to Tony A, Jason G, and Paul M, you guys missed a great get-together

And, a personal "thank you" to Mrs Ross P for designing the "Brit-Pash" logo and arranging the exclusive mugs for our gathering

Mike Wood

Thank you for all your passion putting into this!!

&

LOL! Mr.Cool

February 5th, 2012, 9:37 pm #4

So annoyed i couldn't make this....but boy did I try!!!!

Text Jed at 3pm before I headed off to make sure weather was still all ok as snow had been forecast.

All good there.

Was feeling great and nice and sunny in Nottingham so off I went.

After about 50 miles I started to feel really ill....my stomach was in agony - wife and kids had a stomach virus during the week so I guessed what it would be...

And then it all went wrong!

Snow came down very fast and started lying on the roads very quickly, within 20 mins the motorways were a 6" deep and treacherous. My BMW was uncontrollable at 10 mph! That's 4.5l V8 rear wheel drive cars for you with sports tyres in snow!!!

I pulled over to a lay-by resigned to fact it was too dangerous to go on.

Got out the car and was violently sick! For about 10 minutes.....

Rang my wife and told her I was in trouble but would ring the breakdown service to see if could get me back.

Rang them - on hold for over an hour...got cut off 3 times....country (as usual in the UK when it snows a bit!)had fallen into chaos.

Rang wife back told her she would have to come and get me.

Took her 2.5hrs to get 50 miles to me - saw 7 big pile up crashes on the way, cars stranded everywhere, motorways closing here there and everywhere.

Finally got to me at 7pm. She was so scared I had to drive home - 20mph all the way, and while being sick!

Took us 4 hours to do the 40 or so miles home.

Could have been worse - over 100 cars stranded on same road I was on and 200 people had to sleep on a pub floor overnight!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-st ... e-16894011

2 miles from my home we saw an Ambulance upside down on its roof in a ditch.....I just hope it was on its way to see someone and not on its way back

This is my only picture of the get together......

5.10pm on a Saturday night on the main connecting road between the UK's two longest motorways....I hadn't seen a car in 20 minutes!!!

Looks like you all had a great time and some very cool watches to play with!! Very disappointed...

I'LL BE BACK!!!

IanB did call in to my house on his way home today though to pick up his latest acquisition...so we had a mini watch meet in my kitchen! Not quite the same I'm sure but fun nonetheless....

PS If anyone is on the A50 from Uttoxeter to Stoke please check if there is a 5 series in a lay-by or if its now on bricks...
That was far worse than I imagined..!

You were very sadly missed, and I know you were pulling out all the stops to join us.

But, we enjoyed your dinner! Every cloud has a silver lining. We owe you a meal sometime...

Hope you're feeling better.

MW

February 5th, 2012, 10:34 pm #5

"British Passion"!

(Nice picture Ross!)

A few nice "mug shots"!

Mike Wood

Cheers for a great event Mike, thanks for the invite.
Three helpings of Hot-Pot !! what more do you need on a cold day.
Nice bunch of blokes with great info for us newbies, very welcoming.Learnt a great deal, brill eight course dinner to finish us off !! Good times by all, the mug sits proudly in my display full of creme eggs, lovely stuff..

See you very soon , thanks again

Steve, Nita & Ruby the cat!xxxxx...

February 5th, 2012, 11:55 pm #6

"British Passion"!

(Nice picture Ross!)

A few nice "mug shots"!

Mike Wood

Seems like you guys had a fantastic time!

Wish I could've been there - and what great mugs too!

Regards,

Eugene

February 6th, 2012, 12:39 am #7

"British Passion"!

(Nice picture Ross!)

A few nice "mug shots"!

Mike Wood

you pulled off what appears a great event.

besties,

Steve

February 6th, 2012, 12:49 am #8

That was far worse than I imagined..!

You were very sadly missed, and I know you were pulling out all the stops to join us.

But, we enjoyed your dinner! Every cloud has a silver lining. We owe you a meal sometime...

Hope you're feeling better.

MW
A lot better now I've stopped, well you know, just got to do car retrieval now!

Looked great fun, very well organised, hope your hard work was worth it and appreciated by those who just got to turn up, eat drink and be merry!!

Well Done Mike

February 6th, 2012, 1:53 am #9

"British Passion"!

(Nice picture Ross!)

A few nice "mug shots"!

Mike Wood

So few men, so many watches...

Chuck A
Chuck A

February 6th, 2012, 2:42 am #10

"British Passion"!

(Nice picture Ross!)

A few nice "mug shots"!

Mike Wood

An insane group of watches and watch collectors!

I noticed a large 18 watch travel case among all of the spectacular watches... will you please tell me the name of the manufacturer?

Very nice post!

Chuck A