TGIF OT : Chill Out Bali part 1/2 (caution - uber mega modem burner)

Vintage Rolex Discussion

TGIF OT : Chill Out Bali part 1/2 (caution - uber mega modem burner)

May 4th, 2012, 3:16 pm #1

Hello hello weekend

Seems we have not had an "extensive" travelblog here on VRF for a while now so I thought of sharing my recent "unique" travel experience in exotic Bali.

We have always wanted to experience the friendly people in Bali and immerse our ourselves in their unique Hindu culture and architecture.

Luck (or life's dark humour) had me re-visit my original 2007 honeymoon's destination but it was cancelled due to my China's project commitment back then
So, my missus & I planned this trip a year ago to give it a go again. It was damn ironic & funnny as in this trip we had 2 kids + 2 set of parents in tow!!!!
But we survived the trip and I lived to tell the tale on VRF with you guys

Here we go....................

*Please prepare for uber boring of wrist shots! This may be my last fling with the old girl*

DAY #1

I kid you not when I said it was a big entourage.............

After checking in the Mongolian hoard, we settled for an early lunch (I am having pork tripes in peppercorn soup with steamed yam / taro rice)

The obligatory AD shot in the terminal

Bali, here we come!

Interesting Indonesian complimentary snack pack from AirAsia. Tom, do you want to test this out for Strontium 90? LOL!

Beautiful skyline, land ahoy, padi rice fields! Bali airport is on a narrrow strip of land next to sea which makes the landing very exciting

Feels like we are like cattles herded into a truck.... En route from tarmac to arrival hall. Cool entrance I must say and every airports
shoud have this architecture IMO.

It was a 90 mins slow bumpy drive from the airport to the villa but soothing scenes (feast for the eyes)

Dropped off the bags and headed to a seafood haunt at Tanah Lot's seaside (IMHO overpriced, too touristy)

Black pepper crabs, grilled fish and giant clams, heaps of steamed rice

DAY #2

Good morning Villa!

Driveway

Entrance

The inside scoop

Massage gazebo

All these smack in the middle of a padi rice field

The villa provides an inhouse butler so meals can be prepared on site according to your order.

Breakfast of champions

Terraced padi fiels en route to Kintamani volcanic highlands - very nice. We didnt stop as they charges entrance
fees for almost every attraction site here in Bali

Hello Gunung Batur (mountain) and Danou Batur (lake)

Had a buffet lunch that costs Rp70K per head (USD8) and it was worth every cents for the view. Temperature was a cool 20'C
Typical Balinese and Sulawesi fare

After lunch, we went ahead to visit an organic coffee plantation which produces the famous Kopi Luwak (Weasal's coffee)

The estate still process the Balinese coffee the old way (Drying > Hand Roasting > Hand Pounded) For those who finds drinking
undigested coffee beans from the weasal's diet most unappetising (think again) These coffee are almost priced in gold in weight
and are safe. They processed the same say like your arabica or robusta coffee.

Different stages of the process

From top to bottom, Balinese Coffee, Luwak Coffee, Coconut, Mocha, Ginseng, Ginger Tea and Honey Tea (yes they grow tea here too)

Yo Nick, pop quiz for you friend if you are reading this - see anything familiar here on the pix above? LOL! Hope you getting better soon

And off we go to visit a sacred temple in Tampaksiring - The Holy Spring Temple (hope I got this correct). Its a holy natural water spring
where families come and bath away bad luck + for blessings. It just rained and that water would be freezing cold IMO.
Didnt take much pixs here for out of respect of the fellow Hindu locals

The high walls is for security for the old times and now houses the President's retreat residence just like Martha's vineyard in US.

Then back for some home styled Balinese dinner by the capable household team in villa

Good night Bali!

(will continue the rest in part 2 provided VRF allows me the bandwidth and members here are not bored.
Boy, its a hard job posting a travel blog and I know why) LOL!

Last edited by LunetteVerde on May 4th, 2012, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 4th, 2012, 3:37 pm #2

Fabulous post!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

May 4th, 2012, 3:41 pm #3

TQ Vijay, still WIP so please come back later ;-) nt

May 4th, 2012, 4:22 pm #4

Hello hello weekend

Seems we have not had an "extensive" travelblog here on VRF for a while now so I thought of sharing my recent "unique" travel experience in exotic Bali.

We have always wanted to experience the friendly people in Bali and immerse our ourselves in their unique Hindu culture and architecture.

Luck (or life's dark humour) had me re-visit my original 2007 honeymoon's destination but it was cancelled due to my China's project commitment back then
So, my missus & I planned this trip a year ago to give it a go again. It was damn ironic & funnny as in this trip we had 2 kids + 2 set of parents in tow!!!!

*Please prepare for uber boring of wrist shots! This may be my last fling with the old girl*

DAY #1

After checking in the Mongolian hoard, we settled for an early lunch (I am having pork tripes in peppercorn soup with steamed yam / taro rice)

Bali, here we come!

Interesting Indonesian complimentary snack pack from AirAsia. Tom, do you want to test this out for Strontium 90? LOL!

Beautiful skyline, land ahoy, padi rice fields! Bali airport is on a narrrow strip of land next to sea which makes the landing very exciting

Feels like we are like cattles herded into a truck.... En route from tarmac to arrival hall. Cool entrance I must say and every airports

It was a 90 mins slow bumpy drive from the airport to the villa but soothing scenes (feast for the eyes)

Dropped off the bags and headed to a seafood haunt at Tanah Lot's seaside (IMHO overpriced, too touristy)

DAY #2

Good morning Villa!

Driveway

Entrance

The inside scoop

Massage gazebo

The villa provides an inhouse butler so meals can be prepared on site according to your order.

Breakfast of champions

Terraced padi fiels en route to Kintamani volcanic highlands - very nice. We didnt stop as they charges entrance

Had a buffet lunch that costs Rp70K per head (USD8) and it was worth every cents for the view. Temperature was a cool 20'C

After lunch, we went ahead to visit an organic coffee plantation which produces the famous Kopi Luwak (Weasal's coffee)

The estate still process the Balinese coffee the old way (Drying > Hand Roasting > Hand Pounded) For those who finds drinking
undigested coffee beans from the weasal's diet most unappetising (think again) These coffee are almost priced in gold in weight

From top to bottom, Balinese Coffee, Luwak Coffee, Coconut, Mocha, Ginseng, Ginger Tea and Honey Tea (yes they grow tea here too)

Yo Nick, pop quiz for you friend if you are reading this - see anything familiar here on the pix above? LOL! Hope you getting better soon

And off we go to visit a sacred temple in Tampaksiring - The Holy Spring Temple (hope I got this correct). Its a holy natural water spring
where families come and bath away bad luck + for blessings. It just rained and that water would be freezing cold IMO.

The high walls is for security for the old times and now houses the President's retreat residence just like Martha's vineyard in US.

Then back for some home styled Balinese dinner by the capable household team in villa

Good night Bali!

(will continue the rest in part 2 provided VRF allows me the bandwidth and members here are not bored.
one of the few places I haven't been to in Asia. Thanks for sharing my friend!

Best,
Jon

May 4th, 2012, 4:23 pm #5

Hello hello weekend

DAY #1

Bali, here we come!

DAY #2

Good morning Villa!

Driveway

Entrance

The inside scoop

Massage gazebo

Breakfast of champions

Good night Bali!

Look like I hv to start planning a trip there!
Thk for sharing, bro:-)

May 4th, 2012, 5:45 pm #6

Hello hello weekend

DAY #1

Bali, here we come!

DAY #2

Good morning Villa!

Driveway

Entrance

The inside scoop

Massage gazebo

Breakfast of champions

Good night Bali!

...never before has weasel poo graced the pages of the VRF. Great report, look forward to part II.

May 4th, 2012, 6:04 pm #7

Hello hello weekend

DAY #1

Bali, here we come!

DAY #2

Good morning Villa!

Driveway

Entrance

The inside scoop

Massage gazebo

Breakfast of champions

Good night Bali!

and the people from so many areas of the world who take the time to post such trips are part of the the reason VRF is so great. Many thanks---regards

May 4th, 2012, 6:20 pm #8

Hello hello weekend

DAY #1

Bali, here we come!

DAY #2

Good morning Villa!

Driveway

Entrance

The inside scoop

Massage gazebo

Breakfast of champions

Good night Bali!

and it's great to see some of the places again, like the volcano Gunung Batur or the beautiful temple with the bathing people (forgotmthe name). Thx so much for sharing your family trip with us. It seems that Bali still has got some of its magic left.

I'm looking out for part 2....

May 4th, 2012, 10:11 pm #9

Hello hello weekend

DAY #1

Bali, here we come!

DAY #2

Good morning Villa!

Driveway

Entrance

The inside scoop

Massage gazebo

Breakfast of champions

Good night Bali!

Fortunately my local oriental take-out is now closed or my diet could hit the rocks!

Very cool pictures... I'm envious. Nice to see a vintage GMT-Master on location...

Roll-on, pt.II!

May 4th, 2012, 10:32 pm #10

Hello hello weekend

DAY #1

Bali, here we come!

DAY #2

Good morning Villa!

Driveway

Entrance

The inside scoop

Massage gazebo

Breakfast of champions

Good night Bali!

ahhhhh awesome trip... thx for sharing :-)