Still bending my mind around it Philip!

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Still bending my mind around it Philip!

January 24th, 2012, 7:21 am #1

Not for nothing... I've seen that serif-less font over and over in other types of Rolex watches so I thought it was quite normal until you put up one Chronograph clip after the other showing all the serif-laden font. Puzzling because when I look at 3621 Uhren, there is both. Now... agreed... the book doesn't tell me all the model numbers. But I looked at the two register chronographs. And I see the consistencies that I see on Matt's beautiful dial. The "Rolex" is the same. The Oyster Chronograph on one is identical to one of the ones below. The style of dial changes over and over again... so few have exactly the same configuration of words, markers, colors. But within the variations, I do see the same details as I see on Matt's dial.

So... I'm still trying to learn here. Tell me what you don't like about these. Hopefully you have the book because these pics aren't the best.

January 24th, 2012, 8:34 am #2

The first watch I ever collected was a 3525 and I have seen many of these beasts
all have the semi circular text and as I mentioned below 1% has
this strange and ugly (imo) baton design. But never never I had seen "plated" cases
I looked thru all my auction catalogs, books and auction results on the net and did
not find any (maybe Mike can help with examples). Maybe they existed for the commonwealth market and were produced in very few
quantities?
Now, the 4500 chronograph is exactly the same watch as the 3525
with the same 13" line movement base Valjoux 23 or some times called VZ.
2 minus differences though, the 3525 is a 35mm diameter and the 4500
is a 36mm with thinner luggs than the 3525. I owned both so I can tell they are very similar.

The dials are perfectly exchageable, and most of the 2 register watch your are showing
us with flat text are 4500 not 3525.
Here is a pic of a double name 2 register 4500, sorry for the poor quality but you'll still notice that the serifs are present.

Then carrefully compare typography of the under 4500 to Matt's dial

Now, yesterday evening I called my french guru to know if he ever seen any 'plated'
3525 and the answer was no, he even looked in his documentation and did not find
anything. But he is no voice of God because he just retired 3 years ago and being around
65 years old their are few chances anyway he had to service one.

From what I see on your pictures you also posted what I believe to be flat text 5034 and the others watches are 3 registers so can not be compared to 3525.
My opinion still is that Matt's dial is a redial and for the case I am completely lost because I never ever seen 3525 pitted like this, and wrecks I have seen many in my life.
So?? better ask if serial refer to a 3525 before any restauration as obviously Matt's case and mine are of different shape. JMHO

I will post later scarry 3525 completely fake.

January 24th, 2012, 1:56 pm #3

My 3525 has been confirmed by Dominique Tadion in Geneva
so no doubt about it but compare cases. (both are stepped
and blanck back) and both produced within the same year or so.

January 25th, 2012, 2:37 am #4

I mean... even with the watches I'm used to there are differences... Rolex is so goofy. I have an Essex that sports a Tudor movement and an entirely different and much larger case than the one that sports a Rolex 59 movement. And I have cases that are identical that sport different model numbers. And I have the watches that have the same name on the dial that sport entirely different cases. And ... they are period correct.

Look at the Centregraph - three different models of Centregraph (four if you count the Tudor counterpart). One is rather ordinary, one has a pusher and the third is a self-winding.

How does one keep up?

If the chronograph is more structured than other Rolex watches, I need to stay away from them or I'll be picking up a fake without knowing it.

Speaking of.. .you were going to post a scary fake?