Starter watch

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Starter watch

June 4th, 2012, 5:30 pm #1

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I really appreciate watches and would like to expand my knowledge. I have a small budget (1,000 - 1,250 USD) and was wondering if there are any vintage rolexes that ever trade in that range.

I'm sure there are many posts on this, so perhaps someone could point me to an old post I could read.

I have a panerai 050 that I got a great deal on, but I'm drawn to older watches.

Thanks in advance!

Deyl

June 4th, 2012, 9:30 pm #2

A Rolex Precision 6694 should be within your budget.. (nt)

June 4th, 2012, 9:43 pm #3

...but would most likely need a service, you could get a premium 6694 for that money.

Here's my old one!

June 5th, 2012, 6:09 am #4

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I really appreciate watches and would like to expand my knowledge. I have a small budget (1,000 - 1,250 USD) and was wondering if there are any vintage rolexes that ever trade in that range.

I'm sure there are many posts on this, so perhaps someone could point me to an old post I could read.

I have a panerai 050 that I got a great deal on, but I'm drawn to older watches.

Thanks in advance!

Deyl
If you can stretch the budget a bit, more options come available to you.
Each of these references could be found for around $1500 - perhaps less.

Left to right ...

Rolex 6534 - old as the hills (this one from 1958) but a timeless design and typical bulletproof Rolex construction.

Rolex 6694 - a true classic although manual wind doesn't suit some folk.

Tudor 90800 - part of the Rolex family and always more bang for your buck from Tudor.

[/IMG]

June 5th, 2012, 7:16 am #5

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Deyl
There are plenty of nice Tudor oysters out there at a more modest price level.
The vintage Rolex look and connection, but at half the price.
One can even find an end of fifties - beginning of sixties cal 390 automatic Tudor, often with really nice vintage dials.
These watches are not always expensive, sometimes even half your budget for an automatic.
Service and parts are not easy to find however.
Later tudors have (slightly) modified eta movements, making parts and service easier to come by. And still at very competitive prices if you do not enter the very first vintage shop you come across.
Good luck,
Robbe

June 5th, 2012, 10:51 am #6

Hi,

Thanks in advance!

Deyl
DJs and earlier 6694 models are probably your best bet.

For example, the Datejust 1601 are good value in my opinion. And, given how many are out there - servicing and parts should be easily available for years to come.

Here's a recent ad just to give you a flavour:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/m ... 7206+clasp