Spotted another 1802 "in the wild"

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Spotted another 1802 "in the wild"

November 5th, 2011, 6:58 pm #1

and trapped it

November 5th, 2011, 7:00 pm #2

nt

November 6th, 2011, 5:43 am #3

Gold is yellow right out of the ground, just the way nature made it. Adding a touch of pink is okay if you must...but making gold look like stainless steel makes no sense at all. Might as well just cover the watch with hair and call it fuzzy gold.

John Ireland

November 6th, 2011, 10:40 am #4

.... say in their history they have NEVER sold a White Gold 1802! Indeed in 15 years they have only sold 5 other examples in various other metals ( Plat, YG and RG). It has a really low reserve, so it will be interesting to see how much it realizes at auction in Geneva 13th November 2011.

November 6th, 2011, 1:39 pm #5

that clear sticky plastic giving the illusion of a nice tight (gravity defying) bracelet instead of the droopy/floppy stretched item it is is a bit naughty!

With all the talk of rarity I would be very careful of a yellow watch with a rhodium coating. The only way the buyer will know is to strip the case back down a layer - problem is who is gonna wanna risk doing that after spending so much money?

Buyer Beware!!

Let's see how much he makes - It'll be interesting!

http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog.h ... tionid=256

Steve

November 6th, 2011, 3:47 pm #6

...1804/1802...but maybe that is something that is not that uncommon on these more rare references? We've seen it a lot with steel models but I'm not sure whether Rolex was more "diligent" with their premier Day-Date models.
Either way, I am both tempted to bid but in the end not comfortable not having examined it in person.
Best regards,
Tom

November 6th, 2011, 3:50 pm #7

that clear sticky plastic giving the illusion of a nice tight (gravity defying) bracelet instead of the droopy/floppy stretched item it is is a bit naughty!

With all the talk of rarity I would be very careful of a yellow watch with a rhodium coating. The only way the buyer will know is to strip the case back down a layer - problem is who is gonna wanna risk doing that after spending so much money?

Buyer Beware!!

Let's see how much he makes - It'll be interesting!

http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog.h ... tionid=256

Steve

>>> and at least the buyer has the reassurance of a recent Rolex overhaul. Would love to take a punt

November 6th, 2011, 4:04 pm #8

...1804/1802...but maybe that is something that is not that uncommon on these more rare references? We've seen it a lot with steel models but I'm not sure whether Rolex was more "diligent" with their premier Day-Date models.
Either way, I am both tempted to bid but in the end not comfortable not having examined it in person.
Best regards,
Tom
...and they aren't clear which is which. The mismatched ref on the case back is common on DDs as well as the steel models. I would really be upset to get that watch with an 1804 case stamp and an 1802 case back. And what is that BS about the reeded 1803?

November 6th, 2011, 7:55 pm #9

>>> and at least the buyer has the reassurance of a recent Rolex overhaul. Would love to take a punt
Bowe you are quite a promoter of the auction!  nt

November 6th, 2011, 8:40 pm #10

Best regards,
Tom
nt