So would you buy a watch if........

Vintage Rolex Discussion

So would you buy a watch if........

rorrickj34
VRF Member
rorrickj34
VRF Member

January 29th, 2012, 5:34 am #1

The previous owner had his watchmaker re-engrave the serial number below the original? The original serial can still be read with a loop, and it is unmolested. I'm just looking to hear some opinions of forum members. How much would this matter to you if you really liked the watch? Thanks

January 29th, 2012, 5:38 am #2

figcar
VRF Member
figcar
VRF Member

January 29th, 2012, 5:43 am #3

The previous owner had his watchmaker re-engrave the serial number below the original? The original serial can still be read with a loop, and it is unmolested. I'm just looking to hear some opinions of forum members. How much would this matter to you if you really liked the watch? Thanks
would effect its value to you and a future owner. If the watch is a rare highly priced very collectable model, I would guess that collectors usually shy away from this sort of "blemish" and so that should effect the purchase price no matter who is buying or selling it. On the other hand if it is just a nice Rolex that you have a personal desire for and it has no real collector value and the extra engraving doesn't bother you, than why not buy it?

John Ireland

janiceandfred
VRF Member

January 29th, 2012, 12:27 pm #4

when it comes to what i like..i buy it and i could care less of explaining anything to anyone.

janice

cebu city

January 29th, 2012, 12:47 pm #5

Everyone would have the same reaction as Rick just had.... "what do you think guys"?
with a BIG Question mark?... and necessary explanations

keeperoftime
VRF Member
keeperoftime
VRF Member

January 29th, 2012, 4:01 pm #6

As someone else said, if you have to explain "it", then it is a deterrent for potential buyers and a piece you want to pass on.

matt4hand
VRF Member
matt4hand
VRF Member

January 30th, 2012, 12:17 am #7

I would only buy it if it was something I knew I would never re-sell and have to explain.

rorrickj34
VRF Member
rorrickj34
VRF Member

January 30th, 2012, 1:19 am #8

Thanks for all the replies.... Great input :-))

EC
EC

January 31st, 2012, 12:34 am #9

if you like it buy it...keep it...who cares what anyone thinks about later....

janiceandfred
VRF Member

January 31st, 2012, 1:41 am #10

Everyone would have the same reaction as Rick just had.... "what do you think guys"?
with a BIG Question mark?... and necessary explanations
but for me i always buy a watch if i like it, and the last thing i worry about is parting with it. that may seem odd to you or others who are trying to have it both ways and make sound investments, but for me it has always been about the passion.

so far i'm enjoying my passion, and i don't need to clutter up my enjoyment with worries of whether anyone else will want to buy MY watches!!!

janice

cebu city