Show us your 5504 and 5505 Everests. A discussion on

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Show us your 5504 and 5505 Everests. A discussion on

figcar
VRF Member
figcar
VRF Member

December 15th, 2011, 7:26 am #1

Explorers that made it to the top of Everest created a sidebar discussion on a Canadian market version of the Explorer, the 5504 and 5505 Everest. These were 36mm cases with 20mm lugs. A black dialed wide honeycomb version is in Dowling's book. I first owned a 5505 with cream/white dial in the late ninties (and foolishly sold it to a collector of Explorers in Italy).

Most I have seen had the honeycomb dial and the 3 6 9 markers, but I have seen one without the 3 6 9 and without the honeycomb dial. There seems to be two styles of honeycomb or waffle patterns...one small and tight, one a larger pattern. All that I know of had the 1530 movement and were noted as Super Precision on the dial.

I know my dial had relum work done to it and I believe that effected the minute chapter which may have then had repair attempts. But I am not sure if the entire dial was reworked. That brings up the spacing and font of the word Everest. Again we have two different examples (at least so far)...one that uses the same font as in the word Rolex, the second (on mine) that uses a variation of the font for Super Precision. There is also a difference in the spacing from the words Oyster Perpetual.

It would be great to see how many examples we can come up with...including any redials. The first one I owned had a blue steel second hand. My current one has the gold second hand. The 5504 was for stainless models, the 5055 for gold and steel.

Here are four pictures of my current one. Marcello Pisani, would you please post your pictures again in this thread?

I wasn't taking digital pictures or scans when I had my first one...and after selling it to an Explorer collector in Italy, I lost his name. If he is out there and reads this, I hope he'll post a picture of that watch...I'd love to see it again.

John Ireland

December 15th, 2011, 9:12 am #2

and two other pictures of 5504 borrowed from Stefano's blog ( with the same spacing ) :

rmay2003
VRF Member
rmay2003
VRF Member

December 15th, 2011, 5:39 pm #3

Explorers that made it to the top of Everest created a sidebar discussion on a Canadian market version of the Explorer, the 5504 and 5505 Everest. These were 36mm cases with 20mm lugs. A black dialed wide honeycomb version is in Dowling's book. I first owned a 5505 with cream/white dial in the late ninties (and foolishly sold it to a collector of Explorers in Italy).

Most I have seen had the honeycomb dial and the 3 6 9 markers, but I have seen one without the 3 6 9 and without the honeycomb dial. There seems to be two styles of honeycomb or waffle patterns...one small and tight, one a larger pattern. All that I know of had the 1530 movement and were noted as Super Precision on the dial.

I know my dial had relum work done to it and I believe that effected the minute chapter which may have then had repair attempts. But I am not sure if the entire dial was reworked. That brings up the spacing and font of the word Everest. Again we have two different examples (at least so far)...one that uses the same font as in the word Rolex, the second (on mine) that uses a variation of the font for Super Precision. There is also a difference in the spacing from the words Oyster Perpetual.

It would be great to see how many examples we can come up with...including any redials. The first one I owned had a blue steel second hand. My current one has the gold second hand. The 5504 was for stainless models, the 5055 for gold and steel.

Here are four pictures of my current one. Marcello Pisani, would you please post your pictures again in this thread?

I wasn't taking digital pictures or scans when I had my first one...and after selling it to an Explorer collector in Italy, I lost his name. If he is out there and reads this, I hope he'll post a picture of that watch...I'd love to see it again.

John Ireland
And that's trouble with a capital 'T' for all you "Music Man" fans out there...

John, unless you have someone selling that beautiful Everest on your behalf, I think I smell a rat:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-5505-Rare ... 41606dc266

Ron

December 15th, 2011, 6:22 pm #4

for me the dial is completely reprinted .. just look at the poor quality of the word "SWISS" and of the other words ( like "PERPETUAL" ):

December 15th, 2011, 6:33 pm #5

maybe even more clear ..

rmay2003
VRF Member
rmay2003
VRF Member

December 15th, 2011, 6:48 pm #6

is that the based on the photographs, the markings on the inside of the case back seem to be identical between John's Everest and the one in the eBay listing...

Ron

dalevito
VRF Member
dalevito
VRF Member

December 15th, 2011, 7:00 pm #7

maybe even more clear ..

nt

rmay2003
VRF Member
rmay2003
VRF Member

December 15th, 2011, 7:21 pm #8

Is this John's watch that he's selling on eBay? I thought it was someone else running a scam...

Hilarious! What a dope...

Ron

dalevito
VRF Member
dalevito
VRF Member

December 15th, 2011, 8:46 pm #9

nt

figcar
VRF Member
figcar
VRF Member

December 16th, 2011, 5:20 am #10

for me the dial is completely reprinted .. just look at the poor quality of the word "SWISS" and of the other words ( like "PERPETUAL" ):

dials to be of a lesser quality and clarity depending on the angle of view.

I do think my minute chapter was worked on...but I'm not sure if it was completely replaced or just doctored in the areas of 3,6, and 9. The other watches don't have markers at the 14 and 16 minute position but use the edge of the number for that...same at #9. Yet mine is not consistent in this.
At the number 9, on the lower side, is a mark at the 44 minute position, but not at 46. All the watches have minute markers for 29 and 31 minutes on each side of the 6.

The word SWISS in the pictures of my dial is partially distorted by a blemish on the crystal as well as the curve. Viewed from a different angle and looking straight down it looks near perfect. However in my opinion it is off center on the number 6. It may have been replaced during the relum of the dial.

On other Everest examples in this thread we see lum dots on the outside of the numbers 3, 6, and 9. My dial was definately relumed but dots were not put in those positions. However the were put on the inside side of the numbers. I have never seen this before and had them removed when the watch was serviced. I do not recall my first 5505 having any lum dots in the 3, 6, and 9 positions...and I don't recall it on other Explorers.

The section that says Rolex and Oyster Perpetual looks great (IMO) under a 10x lupe. My bigger concern is the selection of font for the word Explorer. On the other watches the font is the same as the word Rolex, and the word Everest is larger than Oyster Perpetual and positioned lower.

I am uncomfortable with the word Everest on my watch but I don't have either information or a large enough sampling to say mine is incorrect. The quality is fine under a 10x lupe...at least for a honeycomb dial. I had these same print quality concerns with my first 5505 and that was as near mint as any vintage watch I've seen.

All the other watches in the sampling in this thread are stainless and 5504s...mine is gold and stainless and a 5505 and I don't know what variations this may have created.

I hope we can get more examples.

John Ireland