Serial 2,403,xxx

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Serial 2,403,xxx

August 29th, 2012, 8:51 pm #1

Hi everyone,

I know posts like mine may be annyoing to you but still, I dare ask I have a SS Datejust 1601 with serial 2,403,xxx. I'm unsure whether it is late 1968 or early 1969. Can you date the watch more precisely ? I wish it were 1968 as it was an important year in the history of my country. Somebody in other forum said it was irrelevant as each part of the watch was obviously manufactured on a different day and thus an exact date cannot be given. I kind of disagree with that since I have Omega Extract of Archive available for each of my Omegas stating full date of production. Does Rolex offer any such service ? Their website seems kind of mysterious - no contact information whatsoever.

Thank you very much for your kind and expert advice.

Cheers, Ondra

August 30th, 2012, 8:30 am #2

ralle

August 30th, 2012, 10:32 am #3

Thank you very much for your response. However, I believe the information is incorrect since there are watches listed here in the serial number project section with serials 2,4xx,xxx clearly marked as (having been bought/having papers from) 1968. There is also corresponding chart stating that 1968 went up to 2,426,xxx (I'm inclined to believe it actually ended somewhere near 2,5xx,xxx).I wasn't aware of the webpage before, please pardon my ignorance. Therefore, the watch is most likely the final quarter of 1968.

Regards, O.

steboe
steboe

August 30th, 2012, 10:38 am #4

z

August 30th, 2012, 11:01 am #5

Hi everyone,

I know posts like mine may be annyoing to you but still, I dare ask I have a SS Datejust 1601 with serial 2,403,xxx. I'm unsure whether it is late 1968 or early 1969. Can you date the watch more precisely ? I wish it were 1968 as it was an important year in the history of my country. Somebody in other forum said it was irrelevant as each part of the watch was obviously manufactured on a different day and thus an exact date cannot be given. I kind of disagree with that since I have Omega Extract of Archive available for each of my Omegas stating full date of production. Does Rolex offer any such service ? Their website seems kind of mysterious - no contact information whatsoever.

Thank you very much for your kind and expert advice.

Cheers, Ondra
Hiya Ondra,

On a vintage Rolex, a serial number is just that - a 'number' from which we can garner a loose idea as to when the case was made.

Inside your caseback there will be a date code imprint (hopefully IV68 or similar) that tells you the exact quarter and year that the caseback was made.
We can then assume that the case, caseback and all the other bits got put together relatively soon after that caseback date.

If I was wanting a vintage Rolex from a specific time period, I'd be focussing on the caseback date stamp.
Then I'd know for certain that at least some of my watch was manufactured in the time spot that's significant to me.

August 30th, 2012, 1:51 pm #6

z
As I said, check the serial number project you have available here. Many watches with 2,4xx,xxx are dated as 1968 according to original papers.

August 30th, 2012, 5:23 pm #7

Hiya Ondra,

On a vintage Rolex, a serial number is just that - a 'number' from which we can garner a loose idea as to when the case was made.

Inside your caseback there will be a date code imprint (hopefully IV68 or similar) that tells you the exact quarter and year that the caseback was made.
We can then assume that the case, caseback and all the other bits got put together relatively soon after that caseback date.

If I was wanting a vintage Rolex from a specific time period, I'd be focussing on the caseback date stamp.
Then I'd know for certain that at least some of my watch was manufactured in the time spot that's significant to me.
Hi Paul,

thank you very much for your advice, it clearly makes sense to me. Do you think I can open the case safely with any of the available Rolex "case openers" ? I don't want to take the watch to a watchmaker because of this simple (?) procedure unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks again, O.

August 30th, 2012, 7:49 pm #8

Some fellas own and use a dedicated Rolex case opener. Others use a generic opener.
Some simply use the cheapie screwball tool.

I still say use your watchmaker. It's a 2 minute job for them and a competent fella won't scratch your case-back.

The watchmaker will also check the gasket is in good condition and seated correctly in its recess.
They won't cross the threads like someone did on an old chronograph I own (not me !).
And they should offer a pressure test if you swim with your watch.
Last edited by fantastictime on August 30th, 2012, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 30th, 2012, 8:44 pm #9

Thank you very much for your response. However, I believe the information is incorrect since there are watches listed here in the serial number project section with serials 2,4xx,xxx clearly marked as (having been bought/having papers from) 1968. There is also corresponding chart stating that 1968 went up to 2,426,xxx (I'm inclined to believe it actually ended somewhere near 2,5xx,xxx).I wasn't aware of the webpage before, please pardon my ignorance. Therefore, the watch is most likely the final quarter of 1968.

Regards, O.

ralle

August 30th, 2012, 8:47 pm #10

As I said, check the serial number project you have available here. Many watches with 2,4xx,xxx are dated as 1968 according to original papers.
your 1601 is from 1970! no doubts!!!
ralle
Last edited by rallepeng on August 30th, 2012, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.