Semi-OT Friday: *Modern* Rolex Winners--What's Your Pick?>>>

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Semi-OT Friday: *Modern* Rolex Winners--What's Your Pick?>>>

March 30th, 2012, 4:15 am #1

So, as I mentioned the other week, I feel that the modern Milgauss GV is a real winner among the current line of Rolex offerings...

Why do I feel that way?

1) Purpose-built to be true to its roots and, in fact, upgraded from a performance standpoint over its predecessors.
2) Stylistically interesting and handsome in that characteristic & traditional ugly-handsome Milgauss manner. (Bonus points for the unique & far out green crystal, of course. )
3) Wearable in all circumstances, as a classic Rolex should be, form beach to boardroom (and in this case, to MRI clinic ).

OK, that's my pick for the Modern Rolex Winner--what's yours and why???
Best,
T.

WorldOysterWatcher
VRF Member

March 30th, 2012, 4:31 am #2

2 dial variations x 2 crystal variations! What's not to love about the current Milgauss! BUT!! The only thing better is the Sub C. That's a classic!

2wsxcde3
VRF Member
2wsxcde3
VRF Member

March 30th, 2012, 4:35 am #3

So, as I mentioned the other week, I feel that the modern Milgauss GV is a real winner among the current line of Rolex offerings...

Why do I feel that way?

1) Purpose-built to be true to its roots and, in fact, upgraded from a performance standpoint over its predecessors.
2) Stylistically interesting and handsome in that characteristic & traditional ugly-handsome Milgauss manner. (Bonus points for the unique & far out green crystal, of course. )
3) Wearable in all circumstances, as a classic Rolex should be, form beach to boardroom (and in this case, to MRI clinic ).

Best,
T.

It is absolutely the perfect size dive watch; it also has that nice substantial feeling weight you can only get from gold yet in white understated enough to go unnoticed. With what I believe is absolutely the nicest colour solid blue dial and fantastic matching ceramic bezel this is my favorite all round modern Rolex for sure!

I agree with everything you say of the Milgauss BTW - the only thing I have a problem with is the orange lightning hand - just that one detail still hasn't grown on me yet.

Have a good weekend Tom

Steve

March 30th, 2012, 5:48 am #4

Why do I feel that way?

Best,
T.

*New "macho" size but not overdone
*Nice tapering lugs, unlike Sub C or GMT C cutoff
*Homage orange hand...back to its roots and with beefed up, appropriately sized markers/hands/crown (though a Triploc might have been cool)
*Updated movement highlights & useful independent hour hand
And like your #3 (minus the MRI clinic)

figcar
VRF Member
figcar
VRF Member

March 30th, 2012, 5:49 am #5

Why do I feel that way?

Best,
T.

I like the new version of the Prince and the 18k DateJust on hooded lugs and a leather strap. All of the "big" versions of prior models leave me unimpressed...no make that negatively impressed. I must say that vintage prices of the basic watches seems to be moving up...the lowly 1601, the 34mm models in gold, and especially gold bracelets all look to be up 50% over the last 12 months.

Is this part of the EZ Fed money causing all asset prices to swell...like the DOW at 13000? Or is it a slow rejection of the "new"? Maybe a little of each. I was talking to a "young'un" at a T-Mobile store the otherday and he admired my watch. He says his generation is going retro and is very into what their parents wore and did.

Anyone out there run into this?

John Ireland

March 30th, 2012, 6:39 am #6

See? You're not "retro"...you just came around again! ;^)

scurfa
VRF Member
scurfa
VRF Member

March 30th, 2012, 6:51 am #7

Has to be the sub, black dial model it's just a perfect watch.

March 30th, 2012, 11:33 am #8

Why do I feel that way?

Best,
T.

...All though I would love it more with brushed shoulders instead of polished and perhaps a few millimeters smaller.
But the variety of dials and the possibility of green glass is awsome!

My personal favorite is the new No Date Sub C...Perfect updated version of perhaps the most classic look.

Perfect watch for a lot of different situations.

...But I must agree with Steve. P that the white gold SubC is one of the coolest watch they built in years!

http://vintage-revival.blogspot.com/

kingmillo
VRF Member
kingmillo
VRF Member

March 30th, 2012, 1:23 pm #9

Why do I feel that way?

Best,
T.

the milgauss is hard to beat

seve1939
VRF Member
seve1939
VRF Member

March 30th, 2012, 1:30 pm #10

Why do I feel that way?

Best,
T.

Love the Milgauss--but all are Kool