Rolex UK... we want the Lost & Stolen Register back!!

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Rolex UK... we want the Lost & Stolen Register back!!

December 16th, 2011, 12:18 pm #1

Please!!!

I just had a customer in with a Rolex Oysterdate Precision 6694 which he found in the street three years ago.

He didn't believe the watch was real, put it in the back of a drawer, and forgot about it.

Then he spotted a similar watch on television a few nights ago, and decided to get it checked by a jeweller.

Well, of course, it is real, with a crisp set of serial numbers, and a Rolex UK service mark in the back. I explained the Rolex case numbering system to him, and he was very happy for me to try to track down the original owner to return the watch.

So, several pleading telephone calls to Rolex UK, and I'm up against a stone wall.

The only way the watch can be checked is if it is submitted for a full overhaul. The service will either be completed and he will be invoiced accordingly; or the watch will be retained by Rolex if it is recorded on the Lost Register.

What a crock of sh**.

Somebody is genuinely trying to be honest, and Rolex UK appear completely disinterested...

Last edited by mikewood on December 16th, 2011, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 16th, 2011, 1:40 pm #2

and couldn't care less about anything else.

---Perpetual Knowledge---
-Perpetual Knowledge-

December 16th, 2011, 2:17 pm #3

Please!!!

I just had a customer in with a Rolex Oysterdate Precision 6694 which he found in the street three years ago.

He didn't believe the watch was real, put it in the back of a drawer, and forgot about it.

Then he spotted a similar watch on television a few nights ago, and decided to get it checked by a jeweller.

Well, of course, it is real, with a crisp set of serial numbers, and a Rolex UK service mark in the back. I explained the Rolex case numbering system to him, and he was very happy for me to try to track down the original owner to return the watch.

So, several pleading telephone calls to Rolex UK, and I'm up against a stone wall.

The only way the watch can be checked is if it is submitted for a full overhaul. The service will either be completed and he will be invoiced accordingly; or the watch will be retained by Rolex if it is recorded on the Lost Register.

What a crock of sh**.

Somebody is genuinely trying to be honest, and Rolex UK appear completely disinterested...

that you could take it into Rolex and ask for an insurance valuation and they then check the numbers and retainthe watch if lost/stolen. Probably only £20

December 16th, 2011, 2:20 pm #4

As is the case for most of them...I have found that many of these large watch companies are more than happy to service your vintage piece and charge a small fortune (and offer shocking customer service during the 6 months they have them) and authenticate watches that are not genuine (as it means they can charge the price of a service...and i have seen some shockers lately). They are also happy to see vintage watch prices rise and increase their new prices exponentially But they do all these things only to suit themselves, generally I suspect they think vintage watch collectors are a nuisance.

December 16th, 2011, 2:22 pm #5

Patek.

IMHO.

Cheers

morgan

http://www.tudorcollector.com

December 16th, 2011, 2:25 pm #6

How can they forget about their past?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TB8fqPJF98

December 16th, 2011, 2:34 pm #7

Patek.

IMHO.

Cheers

morgan

http://www.tudorcollector.com
Panerai, as being a modern company, they where the first
who understood that collectors are very important for their
future sales. Mr.Bonnati vision is one to respect imho!!

December 16th, 2011, 2:35 pm #8

How can they forget about their past?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TB8fqPJF98

when new management came in and decided that Porsche were a road car company and abandoned the Porsche Racing program selling off all Motorsport inventory and closing the department. DOH!!!!

Just a few years later, management changed and Porsche immediately bought back any motorsport parts they could at many many times the price they sold them for.

Porsche Racing is alive and very strong today.

So the problem is... Management.

-Perpetual Knowledge-

December 16th, 2011, 3:20 pm #9

that you could take it into Rolex and ask for an insurance valuation and they then check the numbers and retainthe watch if lost/stolen. Probably only £20
I had one done on the 6th of June this year but they will only value the watch to there nearest current model from there catalogue so for instance my 16520 Daytona was valued as a 116520 and the retail price was £7490.00 they put all the serial numbers and model numbers on a letter and send a valuation out 1 week later and the price is £60.00 and of course its checked on there stolen register
best Ray

December 16th, 2011, 3:21 pm #10

when new management came in and decided that Porsche were a road car company and abandoned the Porsche Racing program selling off all Motorsport inventory and closing the department. DOH!!!!

Just a few years later, management changed and Porsche immediately bought back any motorsport parts they could at many many times the price they sold them for.

Porsche Racing is alive and very strong today.

So the problem is... Management.

+1