Rolex gold Oyster Perpetual circa 1970: Better to Service it?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Rolex gold Oyster Perpetual circa 1970: Better to Service it?

November 2nd, 2011, 11:39 am #1

Hi,

I have a Rolex gold Oyster Perpetual circa 1970 watch, no band, with scratches on the crystal, and am wondering if it would be better to send it to Rolex to service it and purchase a band. Thanks for your thoughts!
Last edited by VintageRolexForum on November 2nd, 2011, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 2nd, 2011, 1:15 pm #2

...for a service would likely cost a third-to-half the value of the watch. I'm not sure how much more you'd be able to get for it after the service. It seems more logical to sell as is. Many use independent watchmakers with Rolex parts accounts (or not) who generally charge much less for a service. If you use one, that might be an option.

By "band" I think you mean bracelet. A solid gold genuine Rolex bracelet would like cost as much as the watch, so don't bother with that unless you want to keep it.
Last edited by amdubin on November 2nd, 2011, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Oysterator
The Oysterator

November 2nd, 2011, 4:14 pm #3

...will likely cost twice what the watch head only might fetch in a private sale.

Used Rolex watches sell easily without bands of any sort. The typical collector has a cigar box full of bands and straps, so a bare watch head won't stop him from being interested. If your intent is simply to sell it to raise cash, take it to any reputable local watchmaker to have the crystal buffed and the case de-grunged, snap some good photos, and put it on eBay if you have an account with good feedback. Or list it here, once you've done some price research. Minimal expense, minimal effort, and a good chance of at least a fair return on time invested.

November 2nd, 2011, 10:51 pm #4

Hi,

I have a Rolex gold Oyster Perpetual circa 1970 watch, no band, with scratches on the crystal, and am wondering if it would be better to send it to Rolex to service it and purchase a band. Thanks for your thoughts!
are not on the top of peoples lists of "must buy" models. That said, they are still excellent watches and even though if you try to sell it you will be low balled, watch how fast the price goes up when you try to buy it from the same dealers.

A gold Rolex with a quality service and put on a quality croc strap will be a handsome piece worth wearing and keeping for years.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

As for 18k or 14k, the higher content is always better but never look down your nose at a nice 14k watch...they look just as nice.

John Ireland

November 3rd, 2011, 12:30 am #5

That black-dialed one just breaks my pants. nt

November 3rd, 2011, 1:13 am #6

A match made in Heaven! Works every time..

November 3rd, 2011, 5:43 am #7

That black-dialed one just breaks my pants. nt
I didn't need three 1013s. Then when he put it up for sale I offered him my 1803 for it but he was only looking for cash. Yes it is handsome. There is a picture of it on a bracelet in response to a thread above on 1013s.

John Ireland