Rolex Cellini

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Rolex Cellini

June 17th, 2012, 4:43 pm #1

In June of 1971 I purchased 2 18K Rolex Cellini watches from what at the time was a highly respected retailer called Bucherer in Geneva, Switzerland. One of the watches had an 18K gold band that was built into the watch by Rolex and the other , which has a chocolate brown face, has a Rolex Crocodile band. I bought an extra Rolex Crocodile band to use at some point as a replacement band, but the original is still in great condition so I have the brand new extra band as well.

I am now interested in selling the watch and the extra watch band and in trying to do some research I'm reading things that I don't understand and find somewhat troubling.

First, I've read that Rolex introduced the Cellini 1n 1975. If that's true, how did I buy 2 of them in 1971 ?

Second, The Rolex clasp on both watch bands indicates that the clasps are stainless steel or sterling silver with gold plating. The clasp is stamped PLAQUE G ROLEXSA SWISS . Why would Rolex put a band with a clasp like that on what is/was a quite expensive watch ?

I have lots of pictures of the watch and extra band that I can send to anyone that can offer some help. If I do sell these I want to make sure that I don't misrepresent what is being sold.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

June 20th, 2012, 8:54 pm #2

no one has responded so I'm going to take a stab at it.

I seem to recall seeing Cellini models from the 1960s. This rolex brochure seems to suggest that you could find cellini ads as far back as 1968.
http://www.rolex.com/sites/4/e-brochures/cellini.pdf

From what I understand, Rolex introduced the Cellini as a product line in 1975 (to encompass their non-oyster case dress watches), but this did not preclude them from calling specific models with the name "cellini" prior to this.

Today, the only remaining hand-wound and quartz models are all in the cellini line. These are also generally not waterproof i.e. non-oyster cases.

A modern example is the Rolex Prince, discontinued in the late 1940s ... and re-introduced in 2006 in their Cellini line as the Rolex Cellini Prince.

To answer your other question - a lot of buckles are plated. If you have the original paperwork which proves these buckles were purchased by you, that's a plus... because there are a lot of fake gold plated buckles out there.

Rolex still sells new gold-plated buckles. As recently as 2 years ago I called to enquire... but while they would quote for it, they insist on selling it with a leather strap.

Bucherer pretty much made their name selling rolex... so I don't see why you need worry too much if you were the first owner. That said, I have to say that vintage cellini are generally not worth a lot... and may take some time to move.

I am going to attempt another stab ... in the old days (1970s,80s) ... there was less control than there is now. As such, there was more latitude for rolex retailers to mix and match. They probably could have gotten you a solid gold buckle if you were willing to pay for it..

I have an 18K buckle myself, it came with my 1970 , 1803 day-date. As i understand, the last owner bought it together.

June 20th, 2012, 9:12 pm #3

Kelvin thank you for the reply. I am the original owner and I do have the original bill of sale for these items as well as quite a bit of other jewelry that I bought at the same time. That bill of sale has no suggestion that anything I bought was less than solid 18K !!

I'm having an awful time trying to upload pictures from my mac book pro. I'd be happy to do so to any email address that someone gave me.

I'm not under any pressure to sell the watch, I simply find that I don't wear it more than once or twice a year and it would be better for the watch if it was used more.

It is really a beautiful piece with the chocolate brown face and with the brand new crocodile rolex band would really be like wearing a new watch.

Would you care to venture a guess of what it's worth in the current market?

Thank you again for the reply.

Howard

June 21st, 2012, 2:16 pm #4

. ... see if you can find an equivalent on ebay, and mark that down 20% and you have a ballpark figure... though it isn't necessarily a price it would move at easily.

If there is no pressure to sell it, why not leave it to the next generation? It is probably infinitely more meaningful compared to trying to sell it. For a cellini if I were to hazard a guess, assuming an 18K gold case ... somewhere in the US$1000 - 2500 range.