Vintage Rolex Discussion

Rolex are to discontinue the T-O-G

December 10th, 2011, 1:39 pm #1

One for the future?

---Perpetual Knowledge---
-Perpetual Knowledge-

December 10th, 2011, 4:43 pm #2

Here is the list:

I know there is no "Datejust Cosmograph Daytona" or "Datejust YM" but it´s an official Rolex list

Regards,
Hannes

December 10th, 2011, 5:02 pm #3

One for the future?

---Perpetual Knowledge---
death of Rolex. A company that moves so slow and a product design that is so far behind the curve that they can only continue to produce bad immitations of what they used to be. Pick up any issue of the WSJ and see where other manufacturers are going...new ultra thins...non-bling mens watches...moving away from the salad plate/can of tuna fish sized watches.

If that is a list of discontinued models it seems that Rolex is terminating all the 36mm models. As for the TOG, Rolex seems to feel that if they put their name one thousand times on a watch that people will pay more for it. I haven't seen watch designs this ugly since the Omega TV screen monstrosities of the 70s.

John Ireland
Last edited by figcar on December 10th, 2011, 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 10th, 2011, 5:35 pm #4

...it´s only the 36mm Datejust on leather- and caoutchouc straps.
The will be many many others left.

Regards,
Hannes

December 10th, 2011, 7:17 pm #5

death of Rolex. A company that moves so slow and a product design that is so far behind the curve that they can only continue to produce bad immitations of what they used to be. Pick up any issue of the WSJ and see where other manufacturers are going...new ultra thins...non-bling mens watches...moving away from the salad plate/can of tuna fish sized watches.

If that is a list of discontinued models it seems that Rolex is terminating all the 36mm models. As for the TOG, Rolex seems to feel that if they put their name one thousand times on a watch that people will pay more for it. I haven't seen watch designs this ugly since the Omega TV screen monstrosities of the 70s.

John Ireland

December 10th, 2011, 9:07 pm #6

John Ireland
Why didn't they used it for all sports models?!
No, they waited that long till Omega did it ;-(

December 10th, 2011, 9:43 pm #7

you can tell it is a watch and not one of the true uglies like you'd find on an episode of "The Jetsons".

John Ireland

December 10th, 2011, 10:03 pm #8

Why didn't they used it for all sports models?!
No, they waited that long till Omega did it ;-(
always admired the standard basic model that reflected the original intent of the Reverso case design. Then they started getting crazy with models that completely violated the original design...that last one being the "jumbo" or something like that. If I had to live with a 38mm head, I'd prefer the manual wind Omegas from the 40s and 50s, and the VC Patrimony of a decade ago. The return of the ultra-thin trend in movements takes away a lot of the negatives in the big case diameters.

The only new Rolexes I felt had any class are the Prince and the hooded lug 18k (36mm) Datejust on a strap.

John Ireland

December 10th, 2011, 10:49 pm #9

you can tell it is a watch and not one of the true uglies like you'd find on an episode of "The Jetsons".

John Ireland
pam 193 "depth gauge" 47mm, 26mm luggs and thick as hell, do i need to say it only works with t-shirt

cheers
christian

December 10th, 2011, 11:00 pm #10

always admired the standard basic model that reflected the original intent of the Reverso case design. Then they started getting crazy with models that completely violated the original design...that last one being the "jumbo" or something like that. If I had to live with a 38mm head, I'd prefer the manual wind Omegas from the 40s and 50s, and the VC Patrimony of a decade ago. The return of the ultra-thin trend in movements takes away a lot of the negatives in the big case diameters.

The only new Rolexes I felt had any class are the Prince and the hooded lug 18k (36mm) Datejust on a strap.

John Ireland
1 ) Datas first, lets just take the largest watch market in the world ie the USA :
Rolex lead the market in 2010 27,3% market share versus 14,6% for Omega, 11,1% for Cartier, 10% for Breitling and 8,1% for TAG Heuer. The difference increase in market share between rolex and Omega will be more than 1% in favor of Rolex in 2011.

2) If I may, VRF members are not Rolex target in fact you and I John are the least of Rolex concerns as new clients. That is a fact that many around here are always forgetting. When you speak with Rolex marketing people wherever they are in Geneva, Paris or elsewhere they just laugh when speaking about what collectors believe what is the right size for a watch (just to take 1 example).
How they decide what size? They just study the market and during one of the last studies customers requests was to obtain a better lecture of the dial with "bigger hands and bigger indices". Then, have you seen the new generation of kids? 2 of my nephews are over 1.90m!!
John this is the way they decide what a Rolex will have to look in the future not listening to big crown lovers. One more thing you (we) should not forget is that Rolex best seller worldwide is the Datejust TT (!), do you see many on VRF?

3) To come back on Rolex "slow death", Rolex never has been stronger in its history, so strong that they did a premiere ie installing 2 CEO's at the head of the company having equals power on their own market: Gian Ricardo Marini and Daniel Neidhart who will manage no less than 28 countries and 3000 people representing one third of all Rolex employees in the world.

So, better stay factual imo

I am afraid we wont see watches like this one produced by Rolex anymore... maybe too bad for us but not for Rolex according to market studies and "modern" customers requests (the ones that are really important to Rolex in the end).

Last edited by greenoysters on December 10th, 2011, 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.