Resurrecting Bezel Inserts (or How to Remove Paint)

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Resurrecting Bezel Inserts (or How to Remove Paint)

January 25th, 2018, 12:17 am #1

I bought four GMT bezel inserts today. At first glance, the inserts were not original.

But whoa, what is that peaking out of the chip on the front? And look at those faded red backs!

I decided to remove the paint. For future reference, in case someone else encounters the same issue, I used a heat gun to slightly warm the insert. Then, while the insert was still warm, I used rubbing alcohol on cotton balls to gently remove the paint.

The paint is coming off!!!!!

Here are the inserts that were hiding underneath the hideous refinish job from years ago. (I guess faded wasn't "in" back then.)

January 25th, 2018, 1:25 am #2

A good eye, and a tremendous result.

January 25th, 2018, 3:34 am #3

I bought four GMT bezel inserts today. At first glance, the inserts were not original.

But whoa, what is that peaking out of the chip on the front? And look at those faded red backs!

I decided to remove the paint. For future reference, in case someone else encounters the same issue, I used a heat gun to slightly warm the insert. Then, while the insert was still warm, I used rubbing alcohol on cotton balls to gently remove the paint.

Here are the inserts that were hiding underneath the hideous refinish job from years ago. (I guess faded wasn't "in" back then.)

thats a small fortune in your hand there!

January 25th, 2018, 4:00 am #4

What a great story with a GREAT outcome!!

January 25th, 2018, 6:57 am #5

Job well done !

January 25th, 2018, 8:02 am #6

Great find there. If you ever plan to sell one of those beauties please let me know!

January 25th, 2018, 11:47 am #7

Fine if you can find one, or four, to clean off. I've never seen one hand-painted insert for sale.

January 25th, 2018, 2:07 pm #8

removal technique will come in handy. Thanks for sharing.

January 25th, 2018, 5:45 pm #9

Wow that's great! Congrats and well done!

January 26th, 2018, 12:28 am #10