Removing a stubborn slotted case-back. Any ideas ?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Removing a stubborn slotted case-back. Any ideas ?

GMTKiwi
VRF Member
GMTKiwi
VRF Member

June 29th, 2012, 12:01 am #1

I'm trying to liberate a perfectly functioning Valjoux 72 from it's horrible old (no-value) case but the slotted caseback simply won't budge.

None of my case opening tools have worked. Penetrating oil hasn't helped - nor has a hairdryer or a night in the deep-freeze - all suggested by an engineer friend.

Two (real) watchmakers have also tried and failed, even when resorting to punch and hammer (with my permission).

Any other tricks of the trade would be really welcome - thanks in advance.

jatucka
VRF Member
jatucka
VRF Member

June 29th, 2012, 12:12 am #2

if the case has no value try to (very carefully) cut the case ... (nt)

TurboWatch
VRF Member
TurboWatch
VRF Member

June 29th, 2012, 12:24 am #3

I'm trying to liberate a perfectly functioning Valjoux 72 from it's horrible old (no-value) case but the slotted caseback simply won't budge.

None of my case opening tools have worked. Penetrating oil hasn't helped - nor has a hairdryer or a night in the deep-freeze - all suggested by an engineer friend.

Two (real) watchmakers have also tried and failed, even when resorting to punch and hammer (with my permission).

carefully tab 2 indentations that is deep enough, one on each opposite side of the case back. Then use 2 metal screws on each one of them. Use those as leverage to turn the case back loose. Easy fix if you want to reuse the case back. Good luck

watchyouwant
VRF Member
watchyouwant
VRF Member

June 29th, 2012, 2:14 am #4

makes it easier in case you have a desintegrated seal as well.....good luck ! achim

GMTKiwi
VRF Member
GMTKiwi
VRF Member

June 29th, 2012, 10:32 am #5

Thanks for the tips guys. Appreciated (nt)
Last edited by GMTKiwi on June 29th, 2012, 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

janiceandfred
VRF Member

June 30th, 2012, 7:05 am #6

this is the method my well seasoned Godfather the watch maker uses and it never fails, and never damages a caseback. he utilizes this on most stubborn and soft gold cased rolexes and was trained by rolex manila decades ago to use this method so as to minimize any chance of damage. it also works equally well on any steel cased watch.

use 2-part epoxy and affix a suitable tool bit to the caseback. use a tool on the tool bit to unscrew the caseback while the watch case is held in a suitable holder with wood or plastic insulators. after the caseback is removed, simply soak the caseback and epoxied tool bit in solvent to dissolve the epoxy.

hope this tip can help some here who are afraid of damaging a valuable case and caseback.

janice

daydatemonthchrono
VRF Member

June 30th, 2012, 9:26 pm #7

Hi Paul, try putting a pocket knife in the slot ,and have someone hit on the knife with a hammer while you try to open the case at the same time the knife is hit with the hammer.

Thanks

Ara

GMTKiwi
VRF Member
GMTKiwi
VRF Member

July 3rd, 2012, 3:23 am #8

Thanks Janice and Ara - both idea are worth a go !