Red Sub chocolate dials

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Red Sub chocolate dials

August 2nd, 2012, 8:53 am #1

Hi lads, I picked up a nice a Mk2 meters first red Submariner today ( Thanks Jed) that has a dial that has started to turn quite a distinct chocolate colour at the very bottom of the dial between the 7 and 5 hr markers.

I have heard and read conflicting reports as to the timeframe that this dial colour change process takes place.

Is it a process that took place early on in the life of the watch and is now stable or is it an ongoing process where the watch needs a little more sunlight (or some other mysterious phenomenon) to complete the change?

What's the general consensus?

Has anyone here had a mk2/3 red sub, or Mk2 DRSD for that matter, since new or for a long period of time and actually observed the dial changing colour over time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as always.

Cheers
Pete

fletch01
VRF Member
fletch01
VRF Member

August 2nd, 2012, 9:30 am #2

MK 2 Thincase 1665

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

MK3 1680

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

but here are some more infos

http://www.network54.com/Forum/207593/m ... %28Long%29

cheers
Marcus

August 2nd, 2012, 10:17 am #3

Did your dials change colour decades ago or has it been ongoing?

Cheers
Pete

August 2nd, 2012, 10:20 am #4

..he seems to think these dials changed colour in the first few years and then stabilized.

Any other experiences?

cheers

fletch01
VRF Member
fletch01
VRF Member

August 2nd, 2012, 10:34 am #5

Did your dials change colour decades ago or has it been ongoing?

Cheers
Pete
became brown already and i think it works in the darkness of the safe...........it´s crazy, but this is what i perceive.......also the tritium change the colour

i wear it also in the sun......maybe it´s the combination of wearing in the sund and then it goes in the darkness of the safe.....i don´t know....but i like it very much

cheers
Marcus