Question on case serial - partly erased

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Question on case serial - partly erased

April 6th, 2016, 10:53 am #1

Hi guys,

I´m looking at a Rolex Chronograph 6238 where three digits of the case-serial are only partly legible - sorry no pic available.

The middle section has probably been worn off by the end-links of the bracelet and doesn´t look deliberately erased.

You can visually (with a 10 x loupe) see the top part of the ´missing digits´.

I understand it depends on the rarity of the watch, but in general - is partly worn off digits considered a no-go?

Will RSC refuse service?

Thank you

holycosmic
VRF Member
holycosmic
VRF Member

April 6th, 2016, 1:51 pm #2

i suppose only the Heritage Department will still service a 6238 if the movement condition is still very good.

Regarding the serial number issue, my experience is that they will still service it. if it is totally unreadable, RSC will assign a new serial # and engrave it on either the mid case or inside of the case back (depends on the location of RSC)..

April 6th, 2016, 2:10 pm #3

Thank you! (nt)

April 6th, 2016, 5:21 pm #4

It's my understanding that an RSC can determine the correct serial number by matching it up to the movement serial number, even if the case serial number is worn off. Years ago I had an early '70s 5512 Sub that was missing parts of several serial numbers on the case through end-link wear, but the RSC in NYC was able to determine the correct case serial number and put it on my service paperwork.