Question about dating watch movement

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Question about dating watch movement

September 9th, 2011, 7:23 pm #1

Hi All,
I'm just curious, is it possible to date the movement of a watch in and of itself? Obviously cases and dials can be dated, but I'd like to know if it is possible to discern when the movement was made. Wondering if movements are numbered like cases are, or if there are standardized differences between eras or what? Is it something someone can learn to do or must it be done by Rolex or someone who knows how to breakdown the movement entirely?
Thanks in advance for any lessons on this!
Dave

September 9th, 2011, 7:48 pm #2

I suggest flowers...

September 9th, 2011, 8:37 pm #3

Hi All,
I'm just curious, is it possible to date the movement of a watch in and of itself? Obviously cases and dials can be dated, but I'd like to know if it is possible to discern when the movement was made. Wondering if movements are numbered like cases are, or if there are standardized differences between eras or what? Is it something someone can learn to do or must it be done by Rolex or someone who knows how to breakdown the movement entirely?
Thanks in advance for any lessons on this!
Dave
... there are movement numberings, but until now to my knowledge noone deciphered the dating behind this.

As Rolex isn't offering any data from the factory side it was quite some work to narrow down the case serials.
Also already the clasp codes in use since mid 70s are tracked down http://www.oysterworld.de/clasp-codes.html).

For older movements it should be possible to get an insight into the dates as the chronometer certifications carry case serials and movement serials.
But, as always, someone has to start data collection prior to publish a first draft which then gets more detailed by more input.

Bye,
Derk

September 9th, 2011, 9:01 pm #4

thanks nt

September 9th, 2011, 9:02 pm #5

I suggest flowers...
I saw the title after posting and knew someone was gonna nail me. Well played!

September 9th, 2011, 10:16 pm #6

thanks nt
I would suggest referencing the serial number project here.

You're not going to be able to nail down a specific year...but you can get an idea maybe.

September 10th, 2011, 12:48 am #7

Really I'm just trying to educate myself on all things vintage Rolex, as I see this being something I'd like to stick with. Seems like there is a huge amount to learn but also a lot of knowledge here, so I'm trying to take advantage of that.
All best!
Dave