Nt

November 3rd, 2017, 12:09 am #12

Sales taxes were added ?

OysterCollector
VRF Member

November 3rd, 2017, 1:45 am #13

Dear Vrf pals,
I wrote to ask your suggestions .
Yesterday, while on a holiday in Usa, I found a very interesting watch from a local dealer. Price was high ( about Us$ 40k) but very good for the watch. The seller probably did not realize the watch was a collectable piece valued over 60k and so did I .
Please note: I paid his asking price .
We signed a sale receipt with all the infos and serial number of the watch ( model number was not correct ) , I gave him hand-hand a cash advanced payment of about 10% and ordered my bank to wire the balance of 90% ; considering the wire would take 2-3 days, we decided to have the watch delivered to my hotel the next destination city in my Usa trip.

Today the seller contacts me, telling strange stories: he did not realize it was a expensive and rare watch, that he promised the watch to another guy, that his supplier wants the watch back, and so on bla bla bla.

Offering me only refund and telling me he will not send the watch.
I replied I want the watch I paid and I will be firm. The seller did not change his position.

What would you do? I really want to get the watch I paid for, but I don’t want either to be forced to file a lawsuit, have money gone and no watch in my wrist while waiting for the judge’s decision.
when I lived in Adelaide - Australia, I recall that it was a place full of unnecessary difficulties and red tape that hindered any kind of real progress.

However, one element that I liked about it was the laws of consumer protection.

When I purchased a house in one of the inner suburbs through a normal sale (not auction), I had 2 business days to cool off and change my mind. The same privilege did not apply to the seller. Similarly with advertised items which were incorrectly labeled with lowered price tags had to be honoured by law.

I recall when living in Italy, that any refunds to a fully paid (or any deposits ) on an item that was sold to someone else or where the seller changed his mind had to refunded in double!!!

FabCo
VRF Member
FabCo
VRF Member

November 3rd, 2017, 1:51 am #14

Dear Vrf pals,
I wrote to ask your suggestions .
Yesterday, while on a holiday in Usa, I found a very interesting watch from a local dealer. Price was high ( about Us$ 40k) but very good for the watch. The seller probably did not realize the watch was a collectable piece valued over 60k and so did I .
Please note: I paid his asking price .
We signed a sale receipt with all the infos and serial number of the watch ( model number was not correct ) , I gave him hand-hand a cash advanced payment of about 10% and ordered my bank to wire the balance of 90% ; considering the wire would take 2-3 days, we decided to have the watch delivered to my hotel the next destination city in my Usa trip.

Today the seller contacts me, telling strange stories: he did not realize it was a expensive and rare watch, that he promised the watch to another guy, that his supplier wants the watch back, and so on bla bla bla.

Offering me only refund and telling me he will not send the watch.
I replied I want the watch I paid and I will be firm. The seller did not change his position.

What would you do? I really want to get the watch I paid for, but I don’t want either to be forced to file a lawsuit, have money gone and no watch in my wrist while waiting for the judge’s decision.
You thought you saw an arbitrage opportunity.
This opportunity disappeared.

If you really want the watch, offer to pay its real price to the seller.
If you do not want to pay the real price, then it is not the watch you are after, but the quick buck you thought you could make.

Just my 2cts...
good luck anyway

Fab

ellepi
VRF Member
ellepi
VRF Member

November 3rd, 2017, 2:57 am #15

Everyone of us here is a collector, we give more value to things that normal people do not even consider.
Everyone of us wants to pay collector items for a lower price. Everyone wants to pay less. Everyone wants to have a bargain.

Even rich people ( not me ) ask for cheaper prices or reductions; otherwise they would not be rich.
Everyone reading this forum hopes to get his dream watch for a low price and get a bargain. Or find a 100k watch in a garage sale.
Let’s be honest!!!!!! We are all watch hunters!

Yesterday we both were going to have a deal : me, paying a very good discounted price, the seller selling for his price request no discount no lowballing on a 40k $ deal , and assume a 10 or 15% profit, we was getting 4000-6000 dollars profit.
So I was not making him a poor man!

And, after that, we agreed on a price, and for me that is a legal contract with a obligation. You ask, I agree, we shake our hands, I pay, and I become the owner of the watch, you can’t back out ...

Please also note the seller in his sale receipt clearly states ALL SALES ARE FINAL , return subjuct to restocking fee of 15% and no money back, only coupon to buy another product.

Tell me now, does it apply only to the consumer??? What if seller is instead breaching the sale contract? No fees for him?
Come on!!!!!
Last edited by ellepi on November 3rd, 2017, 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

greekbum
VRF Member
greekbum
VRF Member

November 3rd, 2017, 3:50 am #16

so lucky the seller found out just in time.

It would of been nice to have got a $20K head start but a shame for the seller.

Everything is now back in order i would say.
I feel sorry for you. You are dealing with a bad character person.The low of the low he broke his word and contract to go for more $. Any who agree with what he did are just like him and i would avoid them also. He has your money and the watch and wants to refund as he thinks today the watch is worth more. I don't know how many times i have sold something only to get offered more even seconds latter. Your word is everything you break it your shit. Sorry guys when you make a deal its a deal bottom line. You paid you deserve the watch end of story. And for all those that think he bought it cheap etc....It could have gone the other way what if he found out he paid to much? Saw cheaper elsewhere would the seller refund based on that? No. Whoever it is my advise avoid at all costs doing business with them.Get your money or your watch. Life is too short

janiceandfred
VRF Member

November 3rd, 2017, 4:53 am #17

Everyone of us here is a collector, we give more value to things that normal people do not even consider.
Everyone of us wants to pay collector items for a lower price. Everyone wants to pay less. Everyone wants to have a bargain.

Even rich people ( not me ) ask for cheaper prices or reductions; otherwise they would not be rich.
Everyone reading this forum hopes to get his dream watch for a low price and get a bargain. Or find a 100k watch in a garage sale.

Yesterday we both were going to have a deal : me, paying a very good discounted price, the seller selling for his price request no discount no lowballing on a 40k $ deal , and assume a 10 or 15% profit, we was getting 4000-6000 dollars profit.

And, after that, we agreed on a price, and for me that is a legal contract with a obligation. You ask, I agree, we shake our hands, I pay, and I become the owner of the watch, you can’t back out ...

Please also note the seller in his sale receipt clearly states ALL SALES ARE FINAL , return subjuct to restocking fee of 15% and no money back, only coupon to buy another product.

Tell me now, does it apply only to the consumer??? What if seller is instead breaching the sale contract? No fees for him?
Come on!!!!!
you were both looking to get one over on each other, so man up and realize you can't win them all.

watchyouwant
VRF Member
watchyouwant
VRF Member

November 3rd, 2017, 4:59 am #18

Come on!!!!!
and have a close chat about your feelings. but you must be prepared to face legal proceedings..... if both dig in, only Lawyers win. kind regards. achim
Last edited by fantastictime on November 3rd, 2017, 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

OysterCollector
VRF Member

November 3rd, 2017, 6:19 am #19

Come on!!!!!
then in all fairness, some compensation should be also paid to you by the seller for backing out on his word. What would have happened if he sent you the timepiece and later discovered it's true value, would he call the FBI on you for theft?

Surely as the receipt says in WRITING that all sales are final and should the buyer change their mind then they are subject to a 15% restocking fee, then there is obviously some breech of contract. If the seller had gone along with the sale and the next day you had changed your mind, the seller would charge you an extra $4000-$4700 to restock it even if he had later discovered the true value of the watch. I would enquire in the state of where it happened as to what the consumer rights are when it comes to a botched deal as in all fairness the same penalty should apply to both sides. that is 15% to whoever fails to honour their contract. Surely you should be entitled for some compensation for the expenses you incurred to wire the money and other fees which resulted in settling the deal. His ignorance for not doing his homework in finding out the true value of the watch and using this as an excuse was an act of desperation and in my country ignorance is no excuse of the law. We also have heavy penalties for false advertising. Then again, different laws for different places.

I do not want to sound biased, but it is worth trying to find an agreement where both of you meet half way where both you and the seller can learn from this as it would cost you a lot more if you involve lawyers. If the seller will not even reimburse you for the shipping and bank fee costs, then it would be worth looking into bringing your story to the media. It would be very interesting to see how Judge Brown or Judge Judy would react to this if it had happened to them as buyers!!!

Good luck!!!

FabCo
VRF Member
FabCo
VRF Member

November 3rd, 2017, 6:47 am #20

Come on!!!!!
And I agree with some.
I do agree that we are all trying to get the best possible deal, it is only rationale to do so.

Let me be clear. I honestly think that it is very un-gentlemanly (to say the least) of the seller to have behaved like he did.
It is a shame of a behaviour and I am pretty sure none of the well known seller out there would have behaved like this, if only for the reputational risk it would represent.

My point is simply that you have very little chance to obtain the watch for the 40k$ you initially agreed on now.
Legal and time costs, should you wish to pursue this route, would be overwhelming to you; for sure, more than the 20k$ you have to pay additionally if you still wish to purchase the watch.

It is clearly an unbalanced situation you are in, but the way I see it you only have two options:
-buy the watch at the updated asking price if you really want it.
-walk away with your money back and never talk to this seller again.

I wish you the best of luck anyway
F.
Last edited by FabCo on November 3rd, 2017, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.