Oyster 7206/8 gold bracelet longevity?

Vintage Rolex Discussion

Oyster 7206/8 gold bracelet longevity?

September 26th, 2011, 6:47 am #1

What do the experts say about longevity of the riveted Oyster bracelet in gold and solid end links (for the DD, but also for all gold GMT).

What are the weak parts in those bracelets? The rivet pins? The folded gold in the links (middle links)? The clasp?

For regular use, but not daily.

Thanks,

A

September 26th, 2011, 9:51 am #2

nt

September 26th, 2011, 10:45 am #3

Thanks. Obviously I still need to hear opinions from an expert... (nt)

September 26th, 2011, 12:50 pm #4

many things may effect the wear on the bracelet but most of it is caused by the stress of application and uses it is put too by the owner.

The IMHO greatest creater of wear in a gold bracelet is the build up of dirt and soaps etc in the bracelet between the links, around the pins etc. The second biggest element is people messing with them and taking them apart etc.

My wife has a gold mid size datejust on a rivet bracelet, which she has worn day in day out for the last 10 years or so. It gets scratched up on a regular basis, but a good soak and light gentle clean with a used toothbrush on a regular basis removes the build up of grime between the links etc. You will be amazed how quickly the 'gunge' builds up and if left would start to accelerate 'wear' on the bracelet.

Kept in clean condition, not over polished, serviced by Rolex every 5 years or so and I can see no depreciable degradation in the operation of the bracelet. But gold is a soft material compared with steel, and at some point it will wear out.

regards

John

September 26th, 2011, 1:15 pm #5

What do the experts say about longevity of the riveted Oyster bracelet in gold and solid end links (for the DD, but also for all gold GMT).

What are the weak parts in those bracelets? The rivet pins? The folded gold in the links (middle links)? The clasp?

For regular use, but not daily.

Thanks,

A
nt.

September 26th, 2011, 2:49 pm #6

nt

September 26th, 2011, 4:32 pm #7

many things may effect the wear on the bracelet but most of it is caused by the stress of application and uses it is put too by the owner.

The IMHO greatest creater of wear in a gold bracelet is the build up of dirt and soaps etc in the bracelet between the links, around the pins etc. The second biggest element is people messing with them and taking them apart etc.

My wife has a gold mid size datejust on a rivet bracelet, which she has worn day in day out for the last 10 years or so. It gets scratched up on a regular basis, but a good soak and light gentle clean with a used toothbrush on a regular basis removes the build up of grime between the links etc. You will be amazed how quickly the 'gunge' builds up and if left would start to accelerate 'wear' on the bracelet.

Kept in clean condition, not over polished, serviced by Rolex every 5 years or so and I can see no depreciable degradation in the operation of the bracelet. But gold is a soft material compared with steel, and at some point it will wear out.

regards

John
English is not my native tongue, so I might be unclear for this reason. If so, I apologise.

My user name (acce1999) is not often seen here, and I keep a fairly low profile on other forums as well, but have been around on the web since 1995. I have also owned (and still own) several of the steel Oyster bracelets produced by Rolex (and the watches attached to them...), current as well as vintage, but never in gold. Compared to many here I have a truly modest collection, and it is all steel, and mainly from the professional line.

I know that the way of wearing your bracelet will have an impact, as cleaning it will have (or rather lack thereof). I've been wearing Oyster bracelets since 1988. I also know the differencies in material properties between steel and gold, but since I do not own any gold rivet bracelets I would appreciate some real life experience (expertise, if you like) from owners.

I'm thinking about the rivet pins, the blades in the clasp and the thicknes of the folded gold sheets themselves in the links. Are there parts/areas where I need to be more careful when it comes to gold vs steel?

Thanks,

A

September 26th, 2011, 6:10 pm #8

...and unnecessary stress is to be avoided as well. For example, if you wear it tight enough to put pressure on it when you bend your wrist that is more damaging than doing the same with a steel bracelet.

All told, I wouldn't worry too much about it as there are many, many old rivet bracelets still around so they are tougher than they look. Just keep it clean and try not to stress the pins as much as possible.

September 26th, 2011, 8:13 pm #9

... Like yours, but more recent, and not as nice dial... but the rivet Oyster is so nice. I like them, although the majority of Rolex wearers most likely prefers the heavy modern version.

Best,

A